LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

PLZ help question about LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 03:19 PM
neena14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLZ help question about LS 400

Hello,

My Boy Friend owns a LS 400 1991, He loves his car more than anything in this world. Couple of years ago when we first started going out he gave me one key from his car and i gave one key to him (i have corolla). Anyway, last year I lost his key and when I told him about it, he was VERY mad at me and He wants me to replace all of his locks now because he told me that you cant just make duplicate of Lexus keys. So i have to pay for his new lock. My question is can anybody tell me how much it cost? Its 1991 so i thought i should not cost much. But my Boy Friend said it cost $1000. Is that true? I just need to ask somebody before i give him money.

IS there any website i can check prices???

THANKS SO MUCH

Neena
Old 05-22-06, 03:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i think your BF is "giving you the shaft" on this. as long as he didnt give you the master key (doubtful) then im pretty sure your just going to have to take his key in and get a copy made.

not 100% on that tho.
Old 05-22-06, 03:43 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This problem can be solved for less than $60 bucks.

Look up the VIN & contact Daryl Diller at Sewell Lexus (Do a search here or Google for Sewell in Dallas). There are 2 choices a master key or a valet key, you want a master.

Vin is on the dash (visible from outside of the car) & in the drivers door jam.
Old 05-22-06, 03:45 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by neena14
He loves his car more than anything in this world.
Whoa Neena! You are in second place next to a 15 year old car? And he is wants to bilk you out of $1000? It sounds like there is a lot more going on (or going wrong) in your relationship than just a lost key.

And yes, a key can be ordered from a Lexus dealer or an aftermarket supplier. I think one can be obtained for less than $100 for an early LS -- much less than the $200 plus I paid for another master key for my 00 LS.
Old 05-22-06, 04:11 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Yea, sounds like our bf wants $$ from you....
Old 05-22-06, 04:25 PM
neena14
Driver School Candidate

No guys its not like that. I think because he is young (21), and it’s his first car, so he just Love it very much. I can’t do anything about it. He loves to clean it and he pays a lot of money on it to keep it look nice and new. Once I told him that I can’t pay $1000 cause of my college fees is already too much, so he said he will pay for it or he is gonna ask his parents to be pay for it. I felt bad cause it was me who lost the key. I am just not responsible. He is good guy, his parents are VERY rich. He don’t need my money. its just when it comes to his car, there cant be anything wrong with it. He wants everything perfect for his car.

About master key...i don’t know what that is . The key he gave me looked like any other Lexus key. It had gold L written on it. He has another key that does not have black thing on the back (it don’t have battery) and he keeps it in his wallet. May be thats Master key?

I am so glad to hear that it dont cost more than $200-$300. I need to go to my local Lexus dealership.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-06, 04:31 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't bother showing up without either a Key to duplicate or the VIM #.

That version & year LS did not feature a remote key so this is really basic locksmith stuff.

He sounds like he wants an oem looking key though so a dealer might be best. If you get charged more than $60.00 they are taking advantage.
Old 05-22-06, 04:41 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Get in touch with Darrel at www.lexus-parts.com as damon has mentioned, he always has a key sale going on, and he can cut the key for you for about $10 more.

If you tell him your a Club Lexus member, he will give you even a better discount then whats on the website.

But it sounds to me like someone is trying to make you feel guilty.
Old 05-22-06, 04:44 PM
neena14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Get in touch with Darrel at www.lexus-parts.com as damon has mentioned, he always has a key sale going on, and he can cut the key for you for about $10 more.

If you tell him your a Club Lexus member, he will give you even a better discount then whats on the website.

But it sounds to me like someone is trying to make you feel guilty.
WOW $10???

Are we Lexus here talking about??? I thought Lexus things cost too much. The key will not be fake?? It will have the L golden Logo??
Old 05-22-06, 04:57 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

he said $10 MORE

u buy the key and hel cut it to spec for an extra $10.
Old 05-22-06, 04:58 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by neena14
WOW $10???

Are we Lexus here talking about??? I thought Lexus things cost too much. The key will not be fake?? It will have the L golden Logo??
Yes, $10 to have the key cut, but you have to pay for the key itself. Check this link out:

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=22

its $46 for the key... email them, tell them your from Club Lexus, and see if they will lower the price for ya. Sounds like you can get out of this mess for close to 60bucs shipped to your door (no need to drive and wait at the dealership). By the way, the link I’m giving you is for a LEXUS DEALER in Texas, not just some shady store out in the mountains. I have dealt with them MANY time, on low, and high dollar parts, and they've always come through.

CL just saved you $940 dollars
Old 05-22-06, 05:43 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, what a boyfriend.
Old 05-22-06, 07:05 PM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neena, Your boyfriend is not much of one......Things happen & things get lost.....tell him to suck it up & eat the cost of cutting a new key.......

I have him immediately turn it over to you......

That would be a boyfriend........

5ofakind
Old 05-22-06, 07:44 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How foolish would Lexus be to make a system where the owner cannot replace one key but must rather replace all of the locks instead? How else are aftermarket keys made except by cutting them? $60 for a Lexus master, or less for an aftermarket key. Plain and simple. He can either order the key online or from his dealership simply by providing the VIN and proof of ownership. For someone who takes care of his car so much I'm surprised he gave you the original master key in the first place. I know that if I were in his position I would have had a duplicate key made just for you but I guess he's ignorant of the fact that it's a simple procedure to order one! Shame on him for not doing his research!

Scott
Old 05-22-06, 11:42 PM
neena14
Driver School Candidate

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=22

Yes that’s how his key looked. I never actually used the key but I think I remember his key had a small button on side, like remote to open door. I know the key he uses now; it has that small button on side. Would this key have that remote too?

I just hope he is happy with key. But if he wants to replace all locks (cause he don’t want anybody to get in his car, he thinks may be somebody got that key I lost) ….that would cost how much? And do all Lexus dealership can replace locks?

Thanks very much for you help.

Neena

Quick Reply: PLZ help question about LS 400