LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 LS400 A.C. Control LCD readout

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-01, 06:39 PM
lexstatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The LCD on my 1990 LS 400 A.C. control has gone black. As I have found out , in addition to the time & temp this also provides the codes for diagnosing any abnormal A.C. conditions. After doing a little research I have come to feel this to be a common problem. Is this true? If so , there must be a a common solution (Other than buying a $500 replacement from the dealer). Is there someone that can repair this LCD display or where an exchange can be made for a unit that has been repaired. My searching has found a couple of sources that will exchange mine for a repaired unit but want almost the same price as a new one Any help would be greatly appreciated by this new member.. LEXSTATIC about my car!

Last edited by lexstatic; 07-07-01 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-07-01, 06:49 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club Lextatic,from what i have heard i believe the only way to resolve this is to get a new screen. The light is created by xenon gas and not a bulb.So if the gas is gone the screen truns dark.I do not know a way of pumping gas in, there is probably a way but i doubt that a Lexus dealer would tell you.

There is another member that i talk to last night that had the same problem about the screen,he is going to his dealer for more info.

Once he tells me what is up this the screen going out, i will post an update or he will see this form.

His screen name in clublexus is LS400in520 send him a private message if you need more info.
Old 07-07-01, 06:56 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Lexstatic good new check out the SC forum and go to the thread AC light and stereo installation status. There is the info you need to fix your LCD screen.
Old 07-07-01, 07:06 PM
lexstatic
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the input. This has to be a problem that others have had to deal with.
Old 07-07-01, 07:59 PM
lexstatic
Driver School Candidate

Edogg , Checked out the posting that you referred me to. Seems to be the same problem. Can't wait till Wednesday to see how the repairs went for "New To Lexus"
Old 07-07-01, 08:43 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Lexstatic,me too i think i need one or two bulbs replaced.
Old 07-08-01, 10:22 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Um.. i belive you can replace it with the bulb.. just check the SC forum, New To Lexus is replacing the bulb now. so he will post the bulb number and things when he is done..
Old 07-09-01, 01:18 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Good thing, i got my bulbs today. they offer green and blue, i was going to do green but you cannot replace your radio display to match so i went with green. They said there are four bulbs alltogether for the A/C LCD screen. The problem is that you cannot buy the bulbs to replace your buttons, the one for the A/C screen. the low-med-and high buttons, they said that you would have to buy a new unit if you want to replce the button bulbs. so all i got is the LCD bulbs, which is better than none. I will be attempting to replace the bulb tonight, will post info tomorrow. hopefully i can find out if the buttons bulbs can be replce too after taking the thing apart.. Wish me luck.
tony
Old 07-09-01, 06:27 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Hey i'm done.
Good news, nothing broke and everything i wanted to achive is done.
Bad news, the LCD screen numbers words do not appear so it means that my LCD is broken.
part number for the bulb is 83119-24490. the bulb for the LCD has a black backing, and the luminating buttons display (you know the one that lights up the buttons when the headlights are turned on) has a grey backing.
instruction to replace bulb:
1, first remove the wood surround the shifter, by using a flat head. it pops up.
Second use the flat head again to pop up the ash tray assembly, it also pops off. there you will find two screws holding the radio in place. after move up to the A/C vents. use a flat head to pop that open too. (remember to unplug any harness to have more room)
then behind the A/C vent has two more scres to remove. After that just use your flat head to pop up the A/C and radio out, they are attached. after that there are one screw on each side of the A/C faceplate, after removing them, it pops up with some force. then there you go, the bulbs. They are the type that screws 1/4 of the way to lock in place, use a philips heads to remove it. thats all there is too it. you can buy all blue bulbs to make your LCD and buttons to light up blue at night, but i have not figures out to do the radio. They guy at Lexus of Tucson said that you would need a new assembly, and that you cannot change the color of the radio. Well if you have more question use ask and i'll do all i can to help..
P.S. who that man!!! just playing
Tony
Old 07-09-01, 07:54 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Good job Tony!,i well go with the blue bulbs though,becuase i am going to get a new head unit so it really does not matter to me if the air cond.buttons remain green.
Old 07-09-01, 09:36 PM
TonyN
Instructor

buy three black backing, and four grey blacking and all of your lights at night on your A/C panel will be blue. I wanted to do that but i'm not going to get a new head unit
tony
Old 07-09-01, 09:45 PM
TonyN
Instructor

On hot days i'm able to see the numbers and such, but that does not mean that it works.. I replaced the bulb and the thing lights up and all, but there are not numbers. The LCD screen is broken, you can see there is a darker that your radio display and has a sort of grey trim. Sad to say you will need a new one, which sucks. In anycase it still looks better than nothing.
Tony
Old 07-09-01, 11:44 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

is it nessecary to get 3 black and 4 grey backings, i thought the it was just replacing the green sleeve with a blue sleeve and put it on the bulb.
Old 07-10-01, 01:20 PM
TonyN
Instructor

hey do find out about the group discount.
Edogg i dont' know if they sell the blue sleaving by themself.. ask them.
Good New!!! remember the hit and run that happened to me? Well i just droped off my car at the shop today, having all the dents remove and the whole car repainted. thinking about shaving the emblems but thought i like it there. I'm having the car painted Gun-Metal Black. It's like the new IS300 color but darker. nice stuff. It's called Diamond Metalic Black at the shop. So i should get it back Friday. hope it turns out the way i expcet or hopefully better.
tony
Old 07-10-01, 02:04 PM
new to lexus
Rookie

Default not having a good lexus experience

I called Vista Lexus to make sure they had my bulbs. They didn't. The guy ordered the wrong bulbs even after I asked him 75 times to be sure to order the right ones. He promised me he'd get the right ones tomorrow. I called the well praised Longo Lexus today and first they hung up on me. I called again and the guy couldn't figure out what bulbs I was talking about. He said there's only 3 bulbs total in the A/C. Finally when he figured out what I wanted, he said he would have to special order them and charge me $11.50 for each bulb!! I wouldn't be surprised if Vista raises the price if they finally get them in.

Definately not having the "Lexus Experience"
And driving around with no air conditioning and no center console isn't helping either (Southern California Heat!)

Quick Reply: 1990 LS400 A.C. Control LCD readout