LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

which wheeel would you guys get for the 90 ls 400?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-01, 02:33 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I would not buy those rims...first off, they're way too race looking for the LS (they look like a mix between the Blitz wheel and the Yokohama Model 5's).

Secondly, they're 3-piece "wannabes". Attempting to look like a 3-piece when it's really just a 1 piece (which is why the price is so cheap)...and the price might be close to wholesale (it seems like the dealer is going direct to the manuf.)...

At any rate, just because a wheel is from Japan doesn't mean it's good. There are PLENTY of crappy Japanese wheels out there. I think Manaray's VR5 line is CRAP for the most part...I don't know what the hell they were thinking...their other wheels are much better (and priced accordingly)...

You shouldn't buy something merely because they're cheap and from Japan...now if they were importing REAL Yoko AVS Model 5's for that price, THAT would be a deal...but I still wouldn't put those rims on my LS...they're more for a Supra, RX-7, etc...sports cars...maybe on SC or IS...
Old 06-06-01, 02:55 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manaray, you like posting to get in trouble huh?!
Everytime you post there is like a bunch of peeps coming in to chew you up!
That is OK.
As long as your just stating a opinion and being nice about it.
This is what this forum is all about, peeps opinions and knowledge.
As long as peeps don't knock on each other then it is all good.
Old 06-07-01, 02:36 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well hey, people ask for opinions and I give mine...if people don't want my opinion, they're more than welcome to say so!

I know I'm in the minority most of the time (it's the man always tryin' to keep me down!) but hey I don't mind. I don't do bull**** products on anything I do as a hobby...I like to do my hobbies the best possible way (which does NOT mean the most expensive way...I have a budget too)...I just take my time...no need to rush (except with the gun hobby...gotta buy what I can before they decided to ban water pistols too!)

I just hate seeing people doing jacked up things to their Luxury cars...and I hate people doing half-*** **** on their luxury cars because they have no money...if you have no money, save up. If you can't save up, don't bother! Pick another car (like a Civic) to fix up instead...it's a LOT cheaper to do! Simple as that...

(Yes, I have my Nomex jumpsuit on )
Old 06-10-01, 02:45 AM
Giro
I am banned.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone put ls430 wheels on a early 90's ls400 ?
Old 07-11-01, 10:34 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sorry guys but I had to bring back this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/cl...2.JPG&img=&tt=
If this link doesn't come up then go to the gallery section and click on the atlanta meet and my ride is way down on the bottom and under "blkstealthpaid4".
I guess these wheels that I got does not belong to this ride right?
No matter what wheels you get for your ride though cheap or expensive, could still catch the eye.I chose silver cause I didn't want too much attention and I wanted it to still look stock with these 18s.
Yes a lexus deserves better nice looking wheels but no matter the price you paid for your wheels the look is what matters.Trust me no one would spend $4000 for wheels and tire on a 10-12 yr old car in here.
Old 07-12-01, 01:45 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Blkstealthpaid4 - Hey, it's your car and you can do whatever you want to it. I'm just giving my *opinion* on the matter.

You can say "why spend $4K on a 10-12 year old car?" But then let me ask you this, why spend ANYTHING on a 10-12 year old car? Why not just leave it stock? It looks MUCH better stock then when you try to do some half-*** "upgrade" to it. The money would have been better used to replace parts on the car when they need replacing (like oil, brake pads, tires, etc.)

And "looks" is NOT all that matters...when you don't have money to buy the OG product (like a real Louis Vuitton bag or a Bvlgari timepiece) and they buy a FAKE just to get the look, that just SCREAMS cheesiness. All you have to do is get a Jansport bag and a Timex. There is nothing wrong with that. But when you start getting stuff that is FAKE just for the "look", it's just a very PATHETIC thing...

I crack up at a lot of people here. All these kids watching their "rap" videos wanting to be Masta P or Snoop Dogg or whatever the "rapper-of-the-month" is...all that and they can BEARLY afford the car itself and probably have some half-*** insurance (or their mommy and daddy pay for it). They don't pay rent or own a piece of property because they still live at home with mommy and daddy, probably make less than $25K/year (if that!). Have no retirement plan to speak on (like a 401K plan) but GOSH DARN IT! THEY NEED TO "FIX UP" THEIR NEAR SALVAGE TITLE, 250K MILE-ON-THE-ODO LEXUS! And to top it off, they just want the "look" so they put crappy parts on their cars that most Honda owners won't even buy....All this so they can go driving around the 'hood acting like they have money just oozing out of their *** JUST LIKE THE RAP STARS and looking down and make fun of people who drive Civics!

Let me WAKE up a few people here...fixing up cars is expensive. Fixing up LUXURY cars is REALLY expensive. HOBBIES (especially expensive ones) should to come AFTER you're financially stable. Not when your debating betweening making a credit card payment (on a 25.99% APR card because you have no frickin' credit) and buying a frickin' cheap knock-off spoiler or being able to eat for that month...

Remember, fixing up your car is a LUXURY, not a necessity. Just be glad that you have a functional & relaible car (Honda Civics also fall into this category BTW, no need to stretch your budget just to get a Lexus...don't live beyond your means.)

Old 07-12-01, 02:31 PM
Francis K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bahhahaa

That was nice manaray, you think like I do.
Old 07-15-01, 10:15 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manaray has always been helpful.I did not even know about knockoffs until i started posting on this site.

I had never fixed up any cars before and my LS would be my first.

Lucky i has just started fixing up my car during that time because i was going to totally mess up my car.

I did not even know my MHT's were knockoffs until Manaray mentioned it to me,but it was too late it was a couple of days before he warned my about knockoffs on this site. I cannot believe i spent $2700 for those rims and they are still knockoffs,if i would of known i would of went to the $3000 range.

Also I remember the time i was going to get the Xenon bodykit for my LS and manaray should me the right way to do it.Man i would be embaressed if i would of gotten the Xenon kit.I was gonna chose that kit because it was the easy way out.

Now i just take my time when i am fixing up my ride and i want to do it right the first time so i do not end up spending more on the same part in which i could have gotten the part in the best quality.
Old 07-16-01, 01:24 AM
Ls400Ditty

Christ manary, now you're making me think twice about what to do...been 5 months since i had my 98Ls, and the oem rims on my car looked wayyyy to small on it, even after lowering it and inch or so. Rims were my next option (looking at the lowenhart ld1's) , but $4000 for rims and tires? I agree that owning a lexus is a LUXURY, so therefore anything aftermarket should be top of the line or close to , but think about it - if you had $1400 to spend on something to spruce your car up would you go...

http://lexusrims.homestead.com/index.html

For me, buying rims and tires are not only for looks, but more importantly, to keep me from crashing while hitting a turn at 100mph~weeeeeee!!!

Just in case you were wondering edogg, im going with rims that will fit my budget..and I could care less wether or not they were $4000 or $1400...Im going with what will allow me to keep making my car payments! And when I become a millionare someday, who knows, I may even consider putting in a wood dash kit..teeheee

p.s.Thanks for your comments and advice manaray..keep up the good work!!!

Old 07-16-01, 05:03 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

LS400Ditty - Ok, I have to admit, the wheels you have are butt ugly! However, I don't think those are the OEM rims...I think someone else thought that those rims looked better than the OEM ones and put them on...again, another case of being so desperate to "be different", they actually made the car more ugly.

At any rate, I would DEFINITELY not put Lexani's on ANY car. PERIOD. They are 1000% ghetto and is SUCH a deperate cry for attention...As for taking turns at 100mph...uh, I think you picked the wrong car! The LS isn't exactly what I'd be driving to rip up turns...

But at any rate, rather than getting some horrendously ugly wheels like the Lexani's (I don't give a **** if those cost $10 or $10,000, they are just ugly, bleah!), for $1400, I would just put it in the bank and save up my money. Until then, don't take turns at 100mph!

However, in your case, you need some serious and immediate help as those wheels you have are just ugly as sin! For $1400, you don't have many choices. You'll DEFINITELY have to do a 1 piece rim which isn't a big deal...at any rate, I think a "dish" style wheel is best for an LS...the first wheel that comes to mind (because it's inexpensive, 1-piece, and made by a decent maufacturer) is the O.Z. Opera (1-piece).

Tirerack sells them for $351/ea in silver (18" x 8") which is $1404 without tires...looks pretty good on the LS too (check out the picture)...the only thing is, is that you have to get tires...235/50-18 is what's recommended (and what I recommend as it's only a 8" wide rim)...the least expensive is the Continental ContiSport's which are $225 each...that $900 in tires alone...

The other option is to just find the factory wheels and put them back on...I'm sure you can find them for cheap too...
Attached Thumbnails which wheeel would you guys get for the 90 ls 400?-lswithoz.jpg  
Old 07-16-01, 06:57 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

I like OZ's,but the one i like are the ones that look like the opera's,but they are a two piece and they have rivets on them,i was going to get those instead of my MHT's.
Old 07-16-01, 02:56 PM
Ls400Ditty

FYI- those 90 bbs rims arent on my car..hehe just showing an example of uligness in its most true form...
but i hear what you are saying.. I want the lowenhart 19" LD1's~muahahaha

please send donations to:

lajulee@home.com

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Old 07-16-01, 06:25 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, if you REALLY want LD1's, I suggest you save up for them. When you do get them, you'll be getting WHAT YOU WANT and you'll be able to floss them proudly knowing that you got the real deal and you got good rims...not some ghetto POS rims that you bought on a shoestring budget, you know what I mean?

Eric - Hey, if you have the money to buy 2 piece OZ's (about $550-$600 each I think), you have enough money to buy a lot of other rims...for a little more, you can get some serious JDM rims...

I would consider something else...I think the 1 piece OZ's look better than the 2/3 piece ones (and they look larger due to the lack of the extra "lip" for the bolts). But in general, I think they're too close to Mercedes rims (though that LS with OZ 1 piece does look pretty decent!)

What about 19" AutoCouture Supremes? For 19" x 8.5", LIST price is $813 (for silver)...you should be able to get them for like $750 or so...I really think these look TIGHT on a LS (and a SC too)
Attached Thumbnails which wheeel would you guys get for the 90 ls 400?-supreme2.jpg  
Old 07-16-01, 07:58 PM
Ls400Ditty

hmm lemme see~buy my LD1's or feed a small 3rd world nation for a year...jeez your right manaray what was i thinking!! lol..

btw do you know how much it would set me back for a set of four 19"s with tires?

also...u what do you think of the clear euro taillights for the LS? too rice or not too rice..that is the question.heh
(thought that one up all by meeself)

also...exhaust options?

also...i bought a K&N drop in filter..how much more hp would i get for a whole intake system?

also...got any idea if they make xenon bulbs fo the foglights?

also...heh i forgot what I wuz going to ask.

Old 07-16-01, 08:03 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Manaray,it is too late for rim changes for me now, if i knew my MHT's were knock offs i would not of gotten them.I thought those MHT's looked too good to be knockoffs.I had no previous experience with rims before.

Those were the first rims i have ever bought,well this the first car i am ever fixing up so i am still pretty new to this game,but this site has helped me lot.

Quick Reply: which wheeel would you guys get for the 90 ls 400?