LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

which wheeel would you guys get for the 90 ls 400?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-01, 08:35 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by manaray
Back to the "which rim for $1400" problem...

The only problem with with doing RH Evolutions (not really Racing Hart, but close) is that they only come 7.5" wide. I wouldn't put tires wider than 235 on a 7.5" rim...anything wider and it'll look like a donut. 225 is better for a 7.5" rim.

Early LS's had 205/65-16's and later on they went to 225/60-16's. If the 7.5" rim width thing doesn't bother you, then RH Evolutions will fall into your budget. Nice 1 piece rims...they're like $300 for 18" siver (the silver finish on the RH Evo C2 is a particularly NICE finish)...$400 for 19" silver (RH Evo C2 is the only one avail in 19") but good luck trying to find tires that fit.

I would do the C2's personally. For tires, you should be running a 225/50-18 or a 235/45-18 (max)...but no one makes these sizes as far as I know...the closest is 225/45-18 which is a tad bit small or a 235/50-18 which is a tad bit large (overall diameter wise compare to both the stock 205/65-16 and 225/60-16 that come on the LS's). For this exercise, I think I'd go with the 235/50-18.

Anyways, he's the link to Dazz's website..

http://www.dazzmotorsports.com/model.asp?mkid=26

Damn Manaray!
Breath in breath out!
Take deep breaths before you get a hernia or something!

Best sizes for wheels will either be 245-45-18 like mine!
They are almost the perfect sizes for my car but it is for the 225-60-16 rims of the 93-94 models.
205-65-16 is close to the same calculations.
Old 05-31-01, 10:04 PM
Rollin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some words of advice concerning your future wheel/tire purchase.... Buy whatever you want or think looks good on Your LS 400. Everyone is entitled to their on opinion(s) some just try harder to be more convincing. Unless they have a viable argument i.e. they are helping you finance your purchase which I don't see happening, pay no attention. Get what you can afford don't let the elitist ideology shake you. Good luck.
Old 06-01-01, 12:15 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's try this exercise...

Let's say a "sponsor" said they would buy you rims up to $5000....what would you buy?

"Get what you can afford"? I don't mean to push the "elitist ideology", but if you can't afford to put some decent rims on your Lexus, maybe you shouldn't be fixing up a Lexus. Seriously, leave it stock instead...it'll look better than putting some ****ty rims on it.

If you want a car you can fix up for cheap, sell the Lexus and buy a Civic. $1400 rims on a Civic is awesome!

If you bought a $4000 Mitsubishi 73" Big Screen, would you buy a $59 VCR and a $79 DVD player to go along with it?

No don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the STYLE of the rim, just the BRAND. I think the STYLE the Zenetti Ser. 55 is great. The ORIGINAL RIM, the Weds Kranze Cerberus (check out the picture below) is what you should buy if you want this STYLE. It is original, it's a REAL 3-piece rim, it's built better, and the overall quality is better.

How can you KNOWINGLY buy something that's FAKE?! If you didn't know, that would be one thing, but now you DO KNOW. I don't think Zenetti's deserves the business of people who want this rim...all they did was make a cheap knock-off of it...
Attached Thumbnails which wheeel would you guys get for the 90 ls 400?-wd_02.jpg  
Old 06-01-01, 01:38 AM
Rollin
Driver School Candidate

Let's say a "sponsor" said they would buy you rims up to $5000....what would you buy?
Not likely in my present situation.

if you can't afford to put some decent rims on your Lexus, maybe you shouldn't be fixing up a Lexus. Seriously, leave it stock instead...it'll look better than putting some ****ty rims on it.
Didn't you already make this statement once?
Aren't we a little self absorbed dashed with a bit of arrogance with this wheel thing? (I think it goes a little deeper than that). Your sole point being if you can't afford it don't do it... Who the Hell are you? The self appointed "Lexus Wheel Style Enforcement Agency?" The kid asked for an opinion and you take the liberty to chastise and berate him for his wheel selection for a 1990 LS 400, geez who are you trying to impress?
<shaking head>
Old 06-01-01, 02:08 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I did make that statement before...because I believe it and I practice what I preach. I'm not saying you have to buy the most expensive thing (because the most expensive thing is not necessarily the best), but buy products that are worth buying.

LWSEA - That's kinda catchy...no, I don't think that but he asked for opinions on the rims, I gave him mine. And how do you know he's a kid? (just curious).

If you take my opinion of chastising and berating him, so be it. I just don't believe someone who has the class to buy a luxury car like a Lexus should have some more TASTE than someone who buys FAKE rims for their Civic.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'm trying to keep people from cheapening the image of "fixed up" Lexus automobiles. When people see cheap **** on Lexus cars, that gives all Lexus autos a bad name...I don't want to see the Lexus "aftermarket" be brought down to the level of Ricers with huge wings and other such non-sense (but at least on wing on a rear-wheel drive car does do something!)

Look at how bad the whole "import market" looks and peoples' opinion of it due to all the "ricers" and "fakers" that abound...is that what we want for the luxury import market?

That is why companies like Brabus are SO strict about their products. They don't want people to put their rims on Civics. They don't want people to fix up a '83 300SD. They want to maintain the high standards of their industry and even though they don't like Lexus automobiles, I still highly respect them for holding such high standards.

Also, since you obviously didn't notice, I did recommend a set of rims that fall into this $1400 budget.

Maybe I am a little elitist because I've been in the Auto "fix up" industry for a long, long time. Maybe I expect too much from other Lexus owners. Whatever the case may be, if someone asks for opinions, I'll give it no matter what people like you think.

Last edited by Manaray; 06-01-01 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-01-01, 02:26 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Anyways, getting back to the subject at hand...here's a inexpensive rim that has a similiar style and looks pretty good. Mille Miglia is a decent brand and these are only $239 each...18" x 8" with two finishes...bright silver and satin silver (satin is more greyish).

The plus? It's not a knock-off of some other rim!
Attached Thumbnails which wheeel would you guys get for the 90 ls 400?-ls.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 06-01-01 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-01-01, 10:22 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I raised quite an interesting topic

Truly, I know there are few owners out there who are probably not coming out to say that $1400 is their limit for their 90 LS(s).I don't see how I can invest in about $4000 in wheels and tires in a car worth $9/$10k.Yeah the car requires nice wheels but tell me how many would spend this amount of cash on that yr car.Show car is not my main specialty and all I wanted was something alright looking and not spectacular.
I am also not into lowering my luxury car or treating it as a sports car.If 18 inch will leave 4inch gap fine and I even think the gap is exaggerated and the tire or brand of the tire will make the car sit low without needing springs.This is only an opinion.
I have other things that I think about than just wheels on a car and I am just looking for something decent.Tell me if these are cheap knock offs though they also look good.Trust me these wheels are cheap but are they looking cheap?

http://www.geocities.com/henboy1/tem...l?991415701936
http://www.geocities.com/henboy1/tem...l?991416469270

Last edited by blkstealthpaid4; 06-01-01 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-01-01, 03:01 PM
Rollin
Driver School Candidate

If the car isn't "worth" spending AT LEAST $2800 on rims and tires, it's not worth fixing up at all
If you really believe that, your a big fish in a little pond my friend. Then you turn around and make an offering with these Millie Miglia's totaling a whooping 956.00 less tax and tires of course equaling much less than the imposed 2800.00 limit you set. A word of advice if your going to argue a point so strongly stick to your point.

If we all stuck to your analogy we'd all be driving Brabus S 600's rolling up at a light laughing at all the Lexus FAKERS with their wannabe big shiny Japanese wheels, that happens believe it or not.

I own a LS 400 with nice wheels I got what I could afford with the expendable cash on hand, so what if I paid over 3k so what if I paid over 4k. IMO buy what you can afford and be done with it. Don't try to lay that "I don't want to see the Lexus name cheapened crap" on me. I'm through with this thread and by the way my M III Lsportlines thank you for caring so much
Old 06-01-01, 04:57 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

I suggested the Millie Miglia's becuase they fit his budget and they're not a knock-off of another rim. Simple as that. I still think the LS deserves at least $2800 worth of rims and tires...that hasn't changed and I wouldn't do any less on my own LS...But I'd rather see the guy on some decent rims rather than some cheap knock-offs IF HE ABSOLUTELY NEEDS TO BUY RIMS NOW...personally, I would just leave the car stock...but thanks for your "advice" anyways.

What are you trying to say with whole Brabus S600 comment? We're talking about ACCESSORIES for your car. Let's try to stick to subject matter, and not make something bigger than it actually is...ok bud?

As far as the quote, I don't think the $2800 point is true for just ANY car...I think even Civics are worth fixing up too if it's done right...but my thing is that if you are going to fix up your car, do it on the same level as the car. Would you put $1000 rims on a Brabus S600? I also think it's stupid to put $4000 rims on a Civic. Rims of that price are not in the same CLASS as the car.

As far as your wheels, why not just buy some cheap knock-offs for 1/2 the price you paid for the Model III's and use the extra cash on something else then? Why not buy some Zenetti's and be done with it?

My comment about the whole Lexus name being cheapened is absolutely true. Why would we want to see the Lexus aftermarket become like the Civic aftermarket with tons of low-end fake/knock-off crap floating around? Maybe because I'm involved in the industry I care more than someone like you, Rollin'

And Rollin', so when did you become the self appointed "Psychological Profiling and Opinion Enforcement Agency"?

Last edited by Manaray; 06-05-01 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-02-01, 10:17 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

What about the factory 17" chrome wheel and 'summer tire' upgrade for LS430. Is it worth it for $1800?
Old 06-02-01, 10:06 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Hey, I totally agree with Manaray...

Keeping in mind it's just my opinion.....

I think a Lexus is a thing of art, beauty of design, engineering and vison. My LX450 has the stock UGLY NASTY 16" rims on it. I'm 17 and in high school, none of the kids my age appreciate a car like mine, they rate cars on how ricey they look cause that's what they like. Everyone is always saying to me "I can get you rims for your car for 800 bucks!" sure, the brainless teenagers would respect me but the Lexus gods would be very upset with the cheesy rims I bought which I only purchased to say "I got rims on my car!". I see the idiots all the time with 20's on an SUV but the things look so ugly! They just do it so they can say "I got 20's".

All I'm saying is, if your gonna do it, do it right, and not just to do it. The Mona Lisa is a work of art, would you put it in a Frame from the dollar store? Just leave it stock, you can find anything at the right price, you just have to look or work for it.
Old 06-04-01, 08:57 AM
SOMBRA
Driver School Candidate

Lexus makes nice vehicles but they are not quite in the Mona Lisa category. Only one painting was made while Lexus are mass produced. Sometimes we get a little too wrapped up in material possessions.

Remember guys all of our vehicles are fancy Toyota's especially the LX450 - which is just the cruiser minus the badges.

Seriously, I can see both sides of the argument. I don't think the cost really matters at all. It should be the overall quality of the rim and the taste of the owner, but I'm sure we've all seen cars, Lexus or otherwise, that make you say - - he should of kept it OEM.
Old 06-06-01, 12:40 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 81 Posts

This is pretty heated..
well here's my oppinion..
do what you like..it's your car...
People with civic drives civic because that is what they can afford. If they want to make it look rice then it's them. I admit there are way too many fakers out there making eveything look bad, but there are also some real motorheads too. The bottom line is listen to what people say and do what makes you happy. if dont' want to speck 4k on rims then don't if you do then do. Just as long as your happy then do it. But i have to agree with manaray with this, do it once do it right. But... right in your mind. If your gonna be totaly satified with the outcome then go for it, if you rnot sure then don't and make sure. Good luck on your rims,
tony
Old 06-06-01, 08:03 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be putting some cheap wheels on this fine car and I need to spend that kind of money no matter what yr lexus right?.My point is you can get some nice wheels without spending that kind of money on wheels and tires.

Am I guilty for putting wheels (even with your name on it)like these on a ls400?.Are these also cheap and don't deserve to be on a LS400.All Shinestreetben wants is about $245 a wheel for 18s and these are nice with the fat lips.(straight from Japan).
Tell me if this don't deserve to be on ls400.
You even have people scrambling to order these wheels for their ls400 but they failed to respond to this ad.3 piece wheels are not really required for these cars.Check out the link.

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=15060
Old 06-06-01, 02:21 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

This is my take on this:

I agree with Manaray for the most part but I think if 1400 is his budget then let it be. Hey I have about 20 dollars saved up for my wheels plan and I can't even get a VolkRacing sticker with 20 bucks!

If I have about 1400 to spend on rims only then I wouldn't be able to buy some bling bling rims. But what Manaray said is right, I would rather get some no-name rims than knock-offs. At least the no-names have original designs.

And there's a serious problem regarding the statement "what's on YOUR car is all that matters." (this is not directed at anyone. Sorry if anyone takes this offensively)

I believe that 99% of the people here or in fact driving any car will change the rims NOT ONLY because it looks good to him/herself, but also to impress others. If you say you only want something that looks ok and don't care what others think, I don't believe. That's like, you can walk totally naked on the streets cause it's comfortable and you wouldn't mind people looking at you.

Of course everyone just needs to like what he/she has on his/her car. But keep in mind that you are not the only one who will see the car. Friends, co-workers, etc. eveyone will comment on your car and yes I would rather impress 100% of the people rather than the 95% who doesn't know about rims. It's okay if you think what you have is satisfying for yourself, but keep in mind that everyone else also looks at your car and WILL give opinions.

Can someone stand the criticizing comments coming ALL THE TIME?

I tend to agree with Manaray that "if you can't afford to put some decent rims on your Lexus, maybe you shouldn't be fixing up a Lexus." If I have 10k for a car and 2k for rims I would get a used RX-7 and it has a better stock rim. Cost about 12k but oh well.

Just buy whatever you like man, I wouldn't say anything. It's okay if you only have 1400 to spend on wheels. SO what? If you feel now's the time, then now it is. (Just don't buy knock-offs)

Quick Reply: which wheeel would you guys get for the 90 ls 400?