LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Let Me introduce Myself...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-05, 12:14 PM
sumotime
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let Me introduce Myself...

My name is Mark and I just purchased a 92 400 LS . This is my 1st used car I have ever bought. I purchased it for my kid BUT am really starting to like it . It was owned by a Doctor and I am the second owner. Black with a tan interior. 162K on the odometer. I drove the L all day yesterday and it just runs FANTASTIC.Smooth and crisp. The motor and tranny run smoothly. Amazing a 14yr old car runs as smooth. Timing Belt has been replaced.
The car has some maintinence needs ,replace original hoses,rack is leaking, some seals and gaskets are leaking .Tires are on their last leg. Subwoofer seems blown.
1)Can someone please give me a link or idea of what the maintenence schedule is. I have read the manuels provided from Lexus and will follow accordingly. They just do not give enough detail. I want the car to last for 7 more years as this will be the kids college car.
2) Also can I go to Circuit City and replace the blown subwoofer?
3)The airsuspension seems fine but when it dies I plan to replace with www.strutmasters.com . Any comments on the strut replacements.
Lastly I just wanted to THANK this forum as it was a major source of information during my used car search.I was up late many nights reading all the old threads and soaking up information on the LS model. I felt very comfortable with all the knowledge I have acquired on this forum.
Thanks ...Sumo
Old 01-30-05, 01:53 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Welcome to CL!

Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure your kid will enjoy it just as much as you do.

1) Here are a couple links I came up with when I did a search for "scheduled maintenance":

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129382
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114733

You can also try the advanced search function if you want to narrow down what you're looking for to more specific topics.

2) You can try Circuit CIty for the subwoofer, but whatever you get from there may not sound like the stock subwoofer. Some have tried to replace the stock sub with aftermarket free air subs, but were not satisfied with the results. Rather than dishing out the insane amount for a new sub from the dealer, I suggest you try your local junkyard or online salvage for a used sub.

3) Going with Strutmasters would be the best and most cost effective route IMO.

Good luck on the maintenance and repairs.
Old 01-30-05, 02:39 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi and welcome to CL Sumotime!

If you have your heart set on a new sub I would suggest either a JL Audio one ( http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/index.html ) or a JBL one. ( http://www.jbl.com/car/products/category.aspx?cat=sub)

If those are indeed the original radiator hoses then they lasted quite a long time especially with that Fl heat but I would think they were changed at one point especially if the timing belt was done.
Old 02-01-05, 12:13 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lexusadio (on this sight) can get you a stock sub, for the best price anywhere, I know I've looked on e-bay, salvage yards and even the classifieds here. Go with the stock replacment they don't really make aftermarket subs for the sound system in your car. ( free air, whatever# ohms, yada, yada) One more thing check and repair (if needed) power steering system.(pump/pressure hose) If its leaking and goes out, it'll suck to drive, if its leaking and burns out the alternator, it'll suck to sit in, and then it will cost a grip to replace.
Old 02-01-05, 12:23 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexussudio is the man for all things stereo related to these cars. Great guy, ton of knowledge & very helpful.

damon
Old 02-02-05, 11:02 AM
leosls400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to CL Sumotime (Mark) and welcome to the Lexus family ,

Glad to hear that you want to bring up the LS to par for your son. He will sure enjoy the LS for years to come.