LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I know this is the GS forum But I need serious help my LS now!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-04, 12:03 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know this is the GS forum But I need serious help with my LS now!

I have posted this in the LS forum last week but I got no responses so mods if you can just let this stay here for even a few hours that would be great!

Okay the dealer replaced the Fuel pump restior relay and some other relay. He said it was only giving the car 4 volts when it should have given it 8 volts. So thinking the car was fixed I drove it home 40 miles and shut it down with no problem. THen I go to restart it and it starts to act up again meaing the engine starts to sound like its going to stall out but then at the last second the rpm guage goes up and it gives it power not to stall but if I keep it running or try to give it gas it will stall. SO the problem was never fixed anyone with any idea of what this is? It only happens sometimes mostly after driving the car so it's hard for a mechanic to repeat the problem.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM I HAVE BEEN HAVING FOR 3 WEEKS NOW!

I start the car with no problem and drive it with no problem for awhile. But then out of know where I lose power and the car will not go and it will just stall out. The engine will actually shake! Then if I go to start it up right away it will run but it will shake and then stall out. If I go to drive it just has no power and stalls out. But if I let it sit for a few hours it drives like there is no problem at all? SO strange>? They have told me if it was an idol control sensor it would run rough all the time and they told me the throttle body is fine. So what can it be???? I have the car with A class Mechanic from my dealer which is an elite of lexus dealer. ANyone having any ideas? Isn't stragne if I let it sit for awhile there is no problem? I have no check engine lights or any error codes. Does this sound like an ECU issue and don't you think they would have firgured that out?

Anyones help would be great! thanks guys
Just a side note the car is a 91 but it only has 40,000 miles and is well taken care of and is driven about 10 miles a day on week days

Last edited by purebliss; 08-01-04 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-01-04, 01:43 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let check all the basic stuffs here.
1. Fuel pressure
2. Check the fuel pump
3. Check your fuel pump Ecu
BTW, We've seen a defected fuel pump does this. Your lexus would be able to figure this out no problem.
It's hard to diagnost the vehicle when it isn't in front us. But check the following items and Let us know.
JPI

Last edited by JPI Racing; 08-01-04 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-01-04, 03:32 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Thank you when I call my advisor I will tell him to check all those! I Just dont understand why sometimes I have no problem at all?
Old 08-01-04, 03:49 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the crank angle sensor.
Old 08-01-04, 09:39 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your engine is not getting enough fuel. I had that problem before with a faulty fuel gauge sensor that kept on reading that my car still had 1/4 tank left even though it was COMPLETELY dry. It was such a retarded situation. We had the car towed to a mechanic, who then proceeded to do a complete ECU read-out (no error of course!), then pull out the plugs, pull out the injectors, and basically did everything under the sun, before one of us had a bright idea in our head to just check the pump and the gas tank to see what's lurking underneath.,....well to put it bluntly, the mechanic said man, it's so dry and shiny here I can see my own reflection.....

...god I felt dumb.
Old 08-02-04, 02:49 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Originally posted by JPI
Let check all the basic stuffs here.
1. Fuel pressure
2. Check the fuel pump
3. Check your fuel pump Ecu
BTW, We've seen a defected fuel pump does this. Your lexus would be able to figure this out no problem.
It's hard to diagnost the vehicle when it isn't in front us. But check the following items and Let us know.
JPI

After talking to the advisor today I was told there was no ECU for the fuel pump for my year. Is that true? THe relay swicth the he replaced burned out again. SO he said he has to find out the source of why the switch is frying? ANy idea?