LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS or GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-04, 11:32 AM
psychot|K
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS or GS?

Like the topic says.
I'm in the market for a car and I have been thinking of either a 98 or 99 LS400 or a 98 or 99 GS400. I love the concept of driving around in one of the most luxurious cars ever made (the LS), but the 6.0 0-60 and the easy modification of the GS400 is also appealing. I guess the question is... is the LS400 THAT MUCH MORE luxurious to drive and be in than the GS400? Is the GS400 THAT MUCH MORE quick and fun to drive than the LS? I love luxury but I also love driving, which are two things that don't often come together in a car. Let me know your opinion, they're all valid to me. Thanks!

Chris
Old 07-19-04, 11:47 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you drive and LS you will see. the gs is not luxurious.
Old 07-19-04, 12:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Chris,

I responded to your similar post in the GS forum. Again I advise you to use search - I searched for 'GS400' 'LS400' in this forum and found the following posts among others:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=ls400+gs400

Originally posted by digital_b
when you drive and LS you will see. the gs is not luxurious.
I respectfully disagree (I own both). MY GS is no longer very luxurious because of the suspension mods (stiff now), supercharger, exhaust, etc but a stock GS with 16 inch wheels is not a bad luxury ride - which is what mine had when I bought it.

A more accurate statment IMO is 'the LS is MORE luxurious". IMO the GS is sportier and handles much better through turns.

I'd be hard pressed to make a decision which one to buy if I had to pick just one... if I were going to modify the car, I'd get a GS. If I wanted a solid everyday driver I'd go with an LS.
Old 07-19-04, 12:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

My suggestion is to drive them both and see what you like/dislike about each car. If you want to tune it, the GS has a waiting marketplace for your $$. If I were looking at the GS400 I originally wanted and the LS I brought home...I'd make the same decision again...LS.

As the others have mentioned, there is more leg room and width for passengers. My one friend who is 6'8" pushes the limits of the car though. For him the roof line would need to be 3-4" higher and about 8" more leg room to almost stretch out.

Last edited by RA40; 07-19-04 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-19-04, 01:40 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS has a more spacious interior and trunk. Looks more stately.

Last edited by BrickHead; 07-21-04 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-19-04, 02:25 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven my friend's GS300 several times, even borrowed it for a week once.....while it's a nice car and rides great, it's not nearly as 'roomy and spacious' as the LS.

One of the main reasons I bought an LS was because it had a very spacious interior.
Old 07-20-04, 10:24 AM
unrealii
Driver

I also found interior room as an issue with the gs. I didn't like the gauges either, but overall its a nice car.
Old 07-20-04, 11:05 AM
psychot|K
Driver School Candidate

DAVEGS4: Thanks for your help. I read those posts through, very informative.

See, I have have a ride in a 98 LS400 before and I was completely blown away. You don't realize it at the time but if you stop for a second and ponder: "I'm actually moving" when it feels like you're standing still. That's when it hit me, just HOW quiet and smooth the ride is in an LS400. My worry is that I'll get the LS400 only to start wishing I had a sportier car. Is that ever an issue to any of you? Did you ever wish you got the GS400?
Old 07-20-04, 01:09 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Deja Vu

Originally posted by psychot|K
DAVEGS4: Thanks for your help. I read those posts through, very informative.

See, I have have a ride in a 98 LS400 before and I was completely blown away. You don't realize it at the time but if you stop for a second and ponder: "I'm actually moving" when it feels like you're standing still. That's when it hit me, just HOW quiet and smooth the ride is in an LS400. My worry is that I'll get the LS400 only to start wishing I had a sportier car. Is that ever an issue to any of you? Did you ever wish you got the GS400?
I acted out exactly what you are worried about. I bought a new '98 LS400 that was flawless. I kept it for 3 years and decided I wanted something more sporty and fun to drive. I bought a BMW 330Ci, kept it for a year. The kickback in the steering wheel, the crashing of the sport suspension over potholes and the hard seats got tiresome, so I traded it on a Jag X-Type. Softer ride, softer seats, but built worse than a Kia. I had so many problems I had to get Jaguar involved to get me into another car. I now have a Jag S-Type and while it's better built than the X-Type, it still has its problems and the dealer sucks. I now wish I would have kept my "boring LS400" and saved a lot of money and frustration. I've learned a lesson and in 2 months, I hope to have another LS in my driveway.

Mike
Old 07-20-04, 03:49 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

I'd say to get the LS, but I could be saying that cause I have one. The reason also is the 98-00 LS is almost just as fast as the GS400 but you get more luxury and space. The way you can tell is if you drive both cars and make your own choice. Keep in mind the LS doesn't feel as fast as it's going. Against what most may think, I have walked away from a GS or two, BD- (Before Dubs).
Old 07-20-04, 09:27 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Very tough decision!! Hmmm...I'd get the GS400, since I like sportier ride than the LS400. It'll be a hard to decide so sleep on it.
Old 07-21-04, 12:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Also to consider, a sportier ride can be accomlished with Tein, JIC's or Eibach and Bilsteins.

Last edited by RA40; 07-21-04 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-21-04, 04:37 PM
OkiCelsior
Driver School Candidate

I've only been driving a Lexus for less than a month (LS400), and last week I bought my wife a GS 300. My wife likes the sporty look of the GS, and I'll be honest, it is a sexy car. But I am stuck on the luxury features of the LS; I feel like a pampered brat in that car.

It's all a matter of preference. If you're a comfort and luxury person who enjoys the sensation of driving on a cloud, then the LS is for you.
Old 07-22-04, 09:51 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I've owned I both. I drove a 99 GS 400 from new until 2002 until I had to part with her for financial reasons. I've recently found myself in a 98 LS 400.

Here are my thoughts:

Both are excellent cars. Simply amazing. The fit and finish is nearly flawless. Toyota knows how to design a car. I was originally in the market for a newer Acura TL or something similar. Then I got in my 98 LS 400 and was instantly reminded why I loved my old Lexus. The smooooooooooooth powertrain, the power, and the comfort and luxurious feel -- everything is extremely tight. It's a little older and has more miles (85,000) than I wanted for a used car. But I get in, drive, and forget. And unless I remind myself, it looks pretty dang new on the outside.

In my opinion, both the LS and GS of these years are very similar in appointments and feel. If I had to pick between the LS I have now and the GS, right now I'd probably still pick my old GS (of course, it was modded a bit). But I'm a little older now and appreciate the "executive" style of the LS. The car floats on air and carries a respectable image that gets attention at a hotel or office. The GS will turn more heads on the street...and pretty much anywhere you go with it, IMO. In stock form, both cars are very similar in ride. If I remember correctly, I'd give the handling edge to the GS. The LS seems to have a hard time in quick cornering. I believe the GS has more rear headroom than the 98 LS. I'm 6'2" and it's really tight in the back of the LS. I think legroom is a little better in the LS though. Wood appointments in both cars are generous. I really miss the wood on the door that my GS had -- much classier than the wood on the window switches, IMO. As for gadgets, the LS has a couple more things here and there, but nothing that really stands out. The LS does have a trip and gas computer, which the GS lacks.

Really, it comes down to your taste. I LOVE the GS's styling -- it was a the first car I truly fell in love with (kinda sad, eh?). I love the front lights, how it looks with a spoiler, the three race-style gauges with electro-luminescent backlighting. Whereas the GS is a sporty luxury vehicle, the LS gives you a sense of high-style luxury. Drive both and spend a good amount of time with each. The one that "grabs" you more -- that you want to just jump in and drive -- that's your car. Both are so similar in stock form that you won't really be missing out by picking one over the other.

Good Luck,

Brian

P.S. On the issue of speed, you will likely not notice the difference between 6 on the GS and 6.6 on the LS. Every car is different anyway. My old GS had a 0-60 of 6.7. If you're really wanting to purchase for speed, I would get the GS and mod. If you're into tuning, you're gonna wind up putting on shocks and springs, adding an aftermarket intakes, etc., and that stuff is far more available for the GS.

Last edited by Brian S; 07-22-04 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-23-04, 11:16 AM
psychot|K
Driver School Candidate

I just gotta say thanks for all the input! This is really helping my decision process.

I can't say that I'd buy a GS400 for the 'speed' factor. I mean, I have owned and do own some pure sports cars. They're fun and the visceral experience of driving a high HP turbo RWD car is one of life's great experiences I think. I'm considering the GS or LS from lexus more because of the package it provides. I think lexus embodies performance, gobs of style, and a unprescedented amount of reliability. I'm drawn to the GS400 because of the edgy looks, 310TQ, and it's a chick magnet. I'm drawn to the LS400 because i'd feel, every time I drive it, that I make 10x as much as I actually do. So I'm guessing that the performance in a straight line between the two, in stock form, is not noticeable?

Quick Reply: LS or GS?