LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Yet another costly repair. Bye bye Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 12:11 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see someone mentioned Infiniti and Acura repair costs being less than Lexus. How does Cadillac compare? I know the frequency of visits to the shop will more than compensate for cheaper repairs in Cadillacs case but I was offered one of 2 cars by my Grandfather....1993 Lexus LS400 or a 1996 Cadillac STS. He told me that he puts about the same money into both of them. Obviously everyone here would choose the Lexus....I've had 3 LS400s in my family and I wonder if I should try out the STS. If it goes bad right away I'm just gonna give it back.....what do you think?

Michael
Old 04-22-04, 02:44 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

That's a tough to decision to be perfectly honest. The Lexus is a 93 and the Caddy is a 96. I find that GM shop rates are very reasonable, especially for parts. I think there are only four cars in all of GM, but they cut and paste different bumpers and body mouldings to trick you, but I'm exaggerating. Did you know the Hummer H2 is a frankenstine made up of 3+ different SUV's?? But that's has nothing to do with your question. I really like being drivin IN American luxury cars. I don't like ACTUALLY driving them. I've had more experience with the DTS, and that thing was super boaty. . . and my LS 400 is already pushing my boat-iness limit. FWD? Man I hate it. If you don't mind it then it's not too big of a deal. I'm not sure, but does the STS have the Northstar engine? Damn, I think the torque rating is near 300 lb-ft on that thing, can you imagine the torque steer? Again, if you aren't driving it hard, torque steer is not going to be a big deal. . . finally the floaty, bouncy ride. This is what throws me away from American Luxury cars, specifically Caddy and Lincoln(but I did drive an CTS and that was a VERY nice car IMO). I never liked the ride in those cars, even as a passenger. It makes me feel "sea-sick" after 20 minutes. But a definite pro to those cars are the very roomy interiors. The Lexus, being a 1993 will probably have a bouncy ride as well, but that's because it's 10 years old! Put in new shocks and maybe springs and it will ride firm, but not too firm. . . the perfect balance for my taste. Unless you modify the suspension in the Caddy(ie stiffer shocks/springs) you'll always get that bouncy feel. Man, sorry I havn't written all this better, it's all kinda scattered. But to sum up, if you don't mind all those things I listed, and don't mind about twice the amount of time in the shop as the Lexus, I would go for the Caddy. But if you do mind those things, Lexus is better by far. There's a period after about 10 years or 150,000 miles where the LS 400 usually encounters some expensive repairs(around $1-2k at the most), but after that it's smooth sailing! I'm not sure I can say that about the Caddy.
Old 04-22-04, 05:20 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE]
Old 04-22-04, 05:54 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know how to attach quotes, but anyways...

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
Maybe it's just me but your story just doesn't add up.

So do you think I'm making this up SharpLS?? Why would I be making it up??? What would I have to gain by putting my own car down???

SharpLS-96
He's on line at the moment (green) but has yet to respond to one reply.
Also, according to his website he is 19 yrs old so the BMW must be mommy's & daddy's and he say's
"MY 7 SERIES HAS NEVER LEFT ME STRANDED"

In reply to that... I am 19 but Im going to be 20 in a little over a month And yes, the BMW is mine as well. Yes I have two cars. I admit I didnt pay for them, but I do pay for the repairs so I would appreciate it if you guys wont be like everyone else and say that my mommy and daddy buy my cars. Being in college theres no way I can afford cars on my own. Especially two. Frankly I dont care what you guys think. I admit to not paying for the cars, so if you guys dont want to think they're mine, I really could care less. I put this post up to find out if any of you Lexus owners have had any major problems with your cars. I was looking for sympathy for my troubles and instead I have people saying they wanna buy my car for $500. I thought Club Lexus was supposed to be like a family. I sure was wrong. Getting back to my car problems... I drive my cars very hard... I HAVE had engine problems with my car and I know they have had something to do with the manner I drive. That is accepted. But what about all the electrical problems Im having?? That surely cant have anything to do with the way I drive. As for this car being a savlage, etc... the carfax I got claimed that this car was involved in no accidents. And if the title shows up on the carfax. So Im pretty sure that everything with the title and such is fine. I have had problems with the transmission but I can believe that is because of my driving. I got all the engine problems fixed. Again that is acceptable with me. It just seems like EVERY motor this car has seems to go out. It has more electrical problems than an old Jaguar!! And as for me being left stranded in this car... it was due to a bad alternator, which I got replaced twice. And the battery as well. Theres an odd vibration whenever I turn off the a/c. Mechanics still havent been able to figure it out? I believe I have covered everything that people have accused me of. And for those of you wondering why I wasnt responding... I have had a very hectic week full of exams. Oh and before I go... I would like to request all of you to not think of me as some kid who lives off his parents money(enough people accuse me of that as it is). That is not the case at all. Its not like these cars were bought brand new. Some people choose to buy a brand new car. Instead I chose to get 2 cars for almost the same money as a new car. I am a member of Club Lexus now and I dont see how and why I should be treated differently because Im almost 20. When I wrote the thread I had just received the cost of how much the repairs would be and as you can imagine I was boiling. As for the my LS... I love it. Its one car that I believe I would keep forever and ever (at the time I got it it felt like it could go that long.) I still want to keep the car but the repairs are way too much for it. Money is a hard thing to come by when you're in college. Im sure MANY of you know that. Anyways, for some odd reason it seems like many of you are offended by my previous post. I have no idea why??? And SHARPLS please tell me what you meant by my story doesnt add up. Im still pondering :-/ Oh I almost forgot... some of you posted that I should have gotten a CPO Lexus... this WAS a CPO Lexus... but I'm the third owner of this car... the owner before me got the CPO. He's the one I believe neglected the car. If you guys have any more questions (or in some of you guys' cases you just want to accuse me of bs) just ask. I will happily reply.
Old 04-22-04, 06:02 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

BTW I forgot to say how I cant wait for you guys to make more accusations. It seems like I have a friend in SharpLS Cant wait to see the crap he says next
Old 04-22-04, 06:20 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Rolexus600
I see someone mentioned Infiniti and Acura repair costs being less than Lexus. How does Cadillac compare? I know the frequency of visits to the shop will more than compensate for cheaper repairs in Cadillacs case but I was offered one of 2 cars by my Grandfather....1993 Lexus LS400 or a 1996 Cadillac STS. He told me that he puts about the same money into both of them. Obviously everyone here would choose the Lexus....I've had 3 LS400s in my family and I wonder if I should try out the STS. If it goes bad right away I'm just gonna give it back.....what do you think?

Michael

The 96 Caddy Seville STS with the 4.6 Northstar engine is a decent engine. Definitely has more punch/power off the line then the LS because a friend use to have one back in 1999 so I know. Plus, it's pushing 300 hp with 295 ft lbs of torque. Overall, not better then the 93 LS though IMO.

Long Term Dependability Ratings definition
Mechanical Dependability 3 / 5
Body & Interior Dependability 3 / 5
Feature and Accessory Dependability 3 / 5

Here, this might help you out.
http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?ReviewID=219
Old 04-22-04, 06:22 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

tuterz
you said the cd changer is messed up... have you thought about just a regular indash cd player...might be a lil cheaper... and if you like the cd changer b/c you dont have to change cd's often then. try finding a cd player with mp3 capatible. you can fit more than 6 albums in a disk.

tuterz... I have already authorized my mechanic to go ahead with the work so too late for that
If only I would have thought of that earlier
Old 04-22-04, 06:27 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LeXuSrAcIn
BTW I forgot to say how I cant wait for you guys to make more accusations. It seems like I have a friend in SharpLS Cant wait to see the crap he says next
Someone had to call you out on your B.S. post so I took the honors.

Listen, bottom line is......
If you beat the crap out of the car and have replaced the engine several times as you stated then you deserve every penny you dump into it. You can also take the option of taking the $500 you were offered and cut your losers while your ahead.

So how does mommy and daddy's so called BMW drive once again?

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 04-22-04 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 06:45 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE]Someone had to call you out on your B.S. post so I took the honors.

Sharp, I still dont know why you're calling my post BS. Would you care to explain?? I did answer questions ppl asked me. Would you like me to post my VIN# on here?? Cuz if you do, you must certainly be out of your mind. I would never put it online. Im sure you are older than me, but you sure are acting immaturely. And as for this...

SharpLS-96

I told you the cars mine. I dont know why you cant get it through your head that IT IS NOT A NEW CAR. BOTH the cars together costed a little more than a new fully loaded IS300. Dont you see teens driving IS300s?? I could have gotten a new IS300 but i chose to get 2 flaghsip sedans instead of ONE entry level car. IF you wanna ask me anything SPECIFIC to the car and not just hate like EVERYONE else does than go right ahead. Im already sick of EVERYONE sayin crap. Yes my parents bought my cars and I am very thankful. Im not ashamed of that fact. If I was a 30 yr old and my parents bought them then that would be humiliating. You will find that MOST parents buy their kids cars. I dont know if your parents ever bought you one.. but generally parents who love their kids do. Perhaps you were one of the unfortunate ones...
(BTW sharp this is just some friendly arguing so dont take it the wrong way)
Old 04-22-04, 07:18 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LeXuSrAcIn
Someone had to call you out on your B.S. post so I took the honors.

Sharp, I still dont know why you're calling my post BS. Would you care to explain?? I did answer questions ppl asked me. Would you like me to post my VIN# on here?? Cuz if you do, you must certainly be out of your mind. I would never put it online. Im sure you are older than me, but you sure are acting immaturely. And as for this...

SharpLS-96

I told you the cars mine. I dont know why you cant get it through your head that IT IS NOT A NEW CAR. BOTH the cars together costed a little more than a new fully loaded IS300. Dont you see teens driving IS300s?? I could have gotten a new IS300 but i chose to get 2 flaghsip sedans instead of ONE entry level car. IF you wanna ask me anything SPECIFIC to the car and not just hate like EVERYONE else does than go right ahead. Im already sick of EVERYONE sayin crap. Yes my parents bought my cars and I am very thankful. Im not ashamed of that fact. If I was a 30 yr old and my parents bought them then that would be humiliating. You will find that MOST parents buy their kids cars. I dont know if your parents ever bought you one.. but generally parents who love their kids do. Perhaps you were one of the unfortunate ones...
(BTW sharp this is just some friendly arguing so dont take it the wrong way)

When I say "B.S." I am referring to you writing a long post complaining about the cars reliability and how much money you have poured into it when you have clearly beat the heck out of it so what do you expect? After reading how you treat it I have no doubt the car is giving you problems, any car would even the good Ole reliable BMW as you claim. The car wasn't designed for the amount of pressure your asking out of it or putting it through. It's a machine, treat it like crap and it's going to give you crap back in terms of leaving you stranded on some road, emptying your pockets, as well as giving you a headache. If you had to replace the engine several times from street racing or what not then you really shouldn't even have a license IMO.

Very similar to the saying "you are what you eat."

If your a struggling college student and it's draining your pockets then sell it.
Simple common sense IMO.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 04-22-04 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 07:34 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

I'm not going to flame at you, but to be perfectly honest, something really stinks about your story, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. How long have you had your car? CPO you say? Lexus is supposed to have one of the highest ratings in the industry for this time of program. . . the deal is if the car doesn't meet certain criteria, they WON'T SELL IT. You should have some warrantee, with that CPO, why aren't you covered under warrantee? Yes, they even add warrantee's for cars that have already past that time frame, as they are so sure of their inspection process. You might just even be able to take your car back and possibly maybe get a decent amount of money back, if it is a Lemon. . . but you do know that since you bought CPO. If you have all these problems than something is screwy with your dealer, and they are taking advantage of you, which is also very very rare for Lexus, however unlikely, especially to someone with rich parents (they want their business). And believe it or not, it's not uncommon for people to BS like crazy on forums. Maybe you aren't lying, maybe not, but I personally am guessing that you have spent more like $1000-$2000 on repairs rather than the "$6200" you propposed. Not that I'm talking down on you, but this is something typical of most "19 year olds" on forums. For 6k, you are basically buying a new motor! Repairs are expensive, but not that expensive. I've had a few repairs myself, but I've barely topped $1k, if that. . . and I have a 1990 with 170k miles, and I drive just as hard if not harder than you do. I commute about 50 miles each day and drive at least 85(that's a minimum) on the freeways. I change oil every 5k miles, and do as little maintainence as possible, and run it on low grade gas. And this thing has less downtime than most BMW's or MB's of comparable age or even newer, drawing the line at oh, 1995-6. Don't get me wrong, I love BMW and MB for seperate reasons, but in terms of repairs, Lexus rules by a large margin. Just read the statistics. But if you are telling the truth, then I really feel for you. It's a shame to get a car and have it constantly have problems. But as a gear head, I will give you the most sound advice you should remember for the rest of your life, if you buy a USED car and are surprised by repairs, you had it coming. If your parents buy you a car, and repairs could be an issue, ALWAYS buy new. Even if it means stepping down. If you had bought, say, a Civic, Corolla, Camry, Accord, or maybe even a Ford Focus, you wouldn't have to worry about repairs for at least 9 years, which is a far cry for any car from 1993 Lexus, BMW, or MB. Rust, wear, paint, bearings, seals, gaskets; these things don't last forever. I garauntee that your parents 2005 BMW won't have repairs for a long time. . . or if it's your 1993 BMW 325 or 1996 318 or whatever it is, I will bet you $100 that in a year, without spending at least $300 if not much much more on it, you won't be able to drive it to where I live. Your CD player may not work, but the car still runs, and if you treat it right, will run for many many years to come. I'd say you would AVERAGE about $300 (rough rough guess) a year for maintainence on any model before 1993. I average around $200(burning tranny fluid will do it) for each year of ownership since about 2000 (I've had it since 1998).
Old 04-22-04, 07:36 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Sharp,

Like I stated before, I understand the engine troubles, but I dont understand the electronics. Certainly I cant be abusing the cd changer or the various motors in the car right? Anyways, I dont want to get off on the wrong foot with you. Lets just forget about the past things. I never meant to but Lexus down. I was just irate. Like I said, I love my car.
Old 04-22-04, 07:47 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LeXuSrAcIn
Sharp,

Like I stated before, I understand the engine troubles, but I dont understand the electronics. Certainly I cant be abusing the cd changer or the various motors in the car right? Anyways, I dont want to get off on the wrong foot with you. Lets just forget about the past things. I never meant to but Lexus down. I was just irate. Like I said, I love my car.
Mistreating the car CAN hurt electronics. . . you that alternator? It's run by the engine, as the engine spins the serpentine belt which spins the alternator. Over-revving can over-rev the alternator and possibly cause damage. Perhaps too much juice is running through the car and frying circuits? I'm not an absolute expert of blindly punishing cars, but it is possible. You seem like a reasonable guy, so don't get offended by of the things I said. I just meant that it seems like you are exaggerating a lot. And CD players break over time too, most my home stereos older than 10 years don't play CD's anymore. But if you aren't happy with your car now, you should dump it ASAP. The repairs you have made exceed half the value of that car, you could sell it and list all the repairs you've done and add it on to the blue book. Lexus's still sell well, and your car looks like it's in great condition. I think you'll be able to recover what you paid for it, or very close. . .
Old 04-22-04, 08:00 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

dj ctwatt....

Ive had the car for over 2 yrs now. I am the third owner of the car. The previous owner had a CPO lexus. By the time I got it the CPO warranty was over. I didnt buy the car from a Lexus dealer because of the inflated prices. That is what my problem was. And as for the repairs... I have ATLEAST $4400 worth in reciepts. Yes I am 19, but I dont need to fib. If there is anyone here in Texas I would be willing to show them to verify this. Certainly another Club Lexus member wouldnt lie right? I think you guys misunderstood me when i said my motors keep going bad... I dont mean the car's motor. Nothing wrong there. I mean other motors. Such as the power antenna motor, BOTH telescopic steering motors, seat motors, etc. Those motors are rather expensive. Boy I surely envy your $200 a yr cost. I avg like $3000 a yr And like I said I have the receipts. The mistake I made was that I took my car to the Lexus dealer the first year which was really dumb on my part. Now I have a foreign car mechanic I go to. I believe Ive answered all the questions that were asked. Correct me if Im wrong.
Old 04-22-04, 08:58 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

It's not lying it's just. . . being young, and I'm only 21 so I can relate. We gotta be exact in what we say, as I'm on the road to becoming a pro, but the real pro's can sniff BS like hippies and do with crack. $3k a year is really extreme, wow. When I said CPO I meant buying it from the dealer CPO; buying a used CPO doesn't mean squat. Sounds like the previous owner either drove the crap outta the car or neglected every maintainence. . . another reason not buy used, especially non-certified. Even if you hire an independant mechanic to check the car, you can get screwed. My best friend sold his car with major damage to the front end, but he covered it with a car bra. Can you believe that when a mechanic inspected the car, he never bothered to take it off? What you got, I can say with confidence, is not typical of Lexus at all. You got screwed hard, and I'm not sure you are protected by Lemon Laws as you bought it "as-is." Ha. . . on used, one of my old neighbors bought a one. . . it turns out that the car never received an oil change in it's entire life, I think the car was in the high 30k's in miles! I don't want to say, "that's what you get when you buy used," because it's happened to me too :-( . If I were you, I would pay an additional $98 for a LEXUS dealer(they see Lexus's everyday and know common problems, unlike other mechanics) to assess the car and see if you should keep it. They will tell you what else needs to be done that you likely don't know about and what else might break soon. For regular maintainence, those mechanics are good, but Lexus dealer's know the common troublespots and can find them sooner than the other guys. Considering your situation, you should just keep the bimmer, if it is running fine. Cash in the Lexus and mod that car till you got James Bond rocket launchers in your sunroof. Or considering the repairs you made, if it checks out ok, you could also do the reverse to the Lexus and mod it. Man, if only you had gotten a good deal with the Lexus, you would understand why everyone is reacting the way they are. We know our machines, know the community, and know the competition (A large % of Lexus owners are former MB/BMW owners, something those companies can't say). But I'm not hating them, they are all truly respectable cars. . .

Quick Reply: Yet another costly repair. Bye bye Lexus?