LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to replace leather on shift knob?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-04, 10:51 PM
Curt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace leather on shift ****?

I have a 1990 LS400. The leather on my shift **** is worn. I want it to look nice. So I'm considering some options.
1. Send it to americanstitches.com along with $116.
2. Maybe get it sanded and refinished? I've heard of this, but I don't know anything about it. Does anyone know? Can I do this myself?
3. Possibly replace the leather myself. I'm hoping I can reuse the plastic hardware/trim around the two buttons. Does anyone know if the leather is glued to the ****? Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this myself? Has anyone done this before?
4. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for your help.
Curt

P.S. I'm very close to jumping in on the group buy for new leather seats for $569 (wow!). If you don't already know about it, it's at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...readid=108585. Leatherseats.com has a shift boot (the skirt at the bottom of the shifter on some cars -- especially manual transmissions), but won't do the shift ****.
Old 02-28-04, 01:09 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AS qouted you for 116.00? They told me that the leather rewrap was 90 bucks with shipping to my house.. so shipping to AS would cost around 10.00 making it 100 dollars for a rewrap.

I am too highly considering a rewrap for my shifter.. but i dont know, some of AS work is questionable at times
Old 03-07-04, 11:08 AM
LSPilot
Driver School Candidate

I just had my shift **** re-wrapped at a local upholstery shop. They charged $80 and required that I take it out myself. Removing the shift **** was relatively straightforward.

There are two caps over two phillips head screws at the base of the leather portion of the shifter. Unscrew these first. The tricky part is the overdrive button. On my '92 LS400, the button is on the back and simply pulls out. The problem is, there is no disconnect plug. Maybe I did it wrong, but I had to cut the wires and then solder and shrink wrap them when I reinstalled the shifter. Other than that, it was a pretty basic procedure. The side button that you press when shifting simply falls out along with its spring once you remove the ****.

One nice thing is that you can still drive the car without the ****. The overdrive defaults on and all you have to do is press on the Nylon wedge at the top of the shaft to shift. Convenient if you only have one car like me. Good luck!
Old 03-07-04, 11:39 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LSPilot
I just had my shift **** re-wrapped at a local upholstery shop. They charged $80 and required that I take it out myself. Removing the shift **** was relatively straightforward.

There are two caps over two phillips head screws at the base of the leather portion of the shifter. Unscrew these first. The tricky part is the overdrive button. On my '92 LS400, the button is on the back and simply pulls out. The problem is, there is no disconnect plug. Maybe I did it wrong, but I had to cut the wires and then solder and shrink wrap them when I reinstalled the shifter. Other than that, it was a pretty basic procedure. The side button that you press when shifting simply falls out along with its spring once you remove the ****.

One nice thing is that you can still drive the car without the ****. The overdrive defaults on and all you have to do is press on the Nylon wedge at the top of the shaft to shift. Convenient if you only have one car like me. Good luck!

Did they do a good job on the rewrap? I cant find any place in san diego to do it. How long did it take for the to complete the job and how was the leather match?

I'm sure there is an easier way to disconnect the O/D... let me see some picture if possible Pilot

thanks

-Peter
Old 03-07-04, 08:50 PM
LSPilot
Driver School Candidate

Hey Peter:

I'm really looking forward to that weekend meet in L.A. I 'm a total Lexus nerd so it should be fun.

Yes, they did an excellent job on the re-wrap. They paid special attention to the type of stitching and the leather match. Actually, matching the leather was quite an issue. I waited about a half-hour while he looked through several catalogs. He finally found the right color brown and sent away for it. I think it matches perfectly. He said Lexus leather is always the hardest to match.

If you or anyone else would like to have him do it, I'd be glad to help with the shipping process.

Yeah, I figured there would be an easier way to disconnect the overdrive too. I removed the pedestal wood around the shifter and looked underneath, but the wires seemed to continue on up into the dash. I actually took apart the overdrive switch to see if the wires could be disconnected from the terminals inside. BIG MISTAKE! The whole switch mechanism came apart in 5 or 6 tiny pieces. Luckily, I found them all and managed to piece the thing back together.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, I left my damned digital camera in a rental car last month. If anyone on here knows a better way to get the o/d switch out, I'm all ears. Good luck!

-Josh

Last edited by LSPilot; 03-07-04 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-07-04, 11:00 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

The meet should be fun. I'm looking forward to it.

You have a number or an address for the upholstery shop? I might just send it off there, but I would want to give it in person instead of shipping.. stuff like leather rewraps need to be picked up in person, because the leather matching might be different without seeing the rest of the leather in the car. you know what i mean?

i'm trying to find out about the OD issue thoug, I dont have patience for more wire soldering and trying not to break something. I really good at messing things up.. I hate trial and error

-Peter