LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Noise problem Solved!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 09:16 PM
Goldhammer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Noise problem Solved!!!!

Gentlemen-To give you an update regarding the suspension noise I was having and the solution. To be more specific on the noise, it only occured going over sharp bumps and slamming on the brakes. Regarding the brakes, going forward only 1-2 mph and then slamming on the brakes would produce a huge, harsh cluncking sound in the front. Took it to my local mechanic and he brought in on the lift and found that the front strut rod's was worn. He called the Lexus dealer and talked to the parts guy, he indicated that this was most likely the problem as they replace a lot of these. Sure enough that solved the problem, the cost for that was $164 for each strut rod and $87 to put both on.

As you may also know I was debating on replacing my front and rear struts. I would describe the ride as floaty but did not have anything to compare it too as it was this way when i bought 1.5 yrs ago with 58K. I decided to have my front and rear struts replaced along with the front and rear strut mounts, expensive but wanted to see how much it improved the ride. I have heard that sometimes if you don't replace the mounts, if they're worn the can make noise. The Lexus front struts cost $183 for 2 and 2 mounts cost $237, the Lexus rear struts cost $163 for 2 and the two mounts cost $267.

Boy what a difference it made in the ride and handling, the front end no longer nose dives when braking and it doesn't feel like a boat lifting out of the water when i accelerate. The overall handling is improved greatly, the car doesn't float anymore and feels much more athletic. The front end actually sits about .5 to .75 inches higher than before, i am sure it may drop a little after while. It was expensive but well worth it! It feels like a new car!
Cheers!
Old 02-04-04, 11:16 AM
clark
Driver School Candidate

Default Replaced strut rods?

Did you have the strut rods replaced or the strut rod cushions ? Can't see how the strut rods would wear.
Old 02-04-04, 01:34 PM
Goldhammer
Driver School Candidate

The rubber bushing was worn out, so you are correct in the sense that the strut rod itself (the metal part) did not wear out. According to the Lexus dealer, where the parts were purchased from, you have to buy the whole rod which is about $160 for each rod. I was watching my mechanic reproduce the noise and I watched the wheel/tire move independent/delayed when the brakes were slammed to produce the clunking noise. The gap in the bushing on the strut rod allowed enough play that front wheels continued forward, rather ackward to describe and troubling to actually see it occurr. Hope this help answer your question.
Old 02-04-04, 03:57 PM
clark
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the clarification.

That makes sense. From the diagram in the repair manual, it looks like the cushion should be a separate part from the strut bar. It would make things a bit simpler if I can just get the cushion.
Old 02-06-04, 08:08 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Default Re: Thanks for the clarification.

Originally posted by clark
That makes sense. From the diagram in the repair manual, it looks like the cushion should be a separate part from the strut bar. It would make things a bit simpler if I can just get the cushion.
Clark,
Unfortuntely, Strut rods have their bushings built in, so you must replace the whole thing. Preferably both at the same time.
The good new is, you can get them for $95 each HERE
Old 02-07-04, 07:03 AM
clark
Driver School Candidate

Default Ordered strut rod cushions

I just ordered the strut rod cushions from Carsens Toyota. The link above only shows the strut rod without the cushion. Hopefully, I have ordered the correct part.
Old 02-07-04, 11:02 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Default Re: Ordered strut rod cushions

Originally posted by clark
I just ordered the strut rod cushions from Carsens Toyota. The link above only shows the strut rod without the cushion. Hopefully, I have ordered the correct part.
I know the picture shows them sepparately, but actual parts, at least for 95-97, are a single piece. I know because I changed them in the past and saw the parts myself.
If it's not too late, make sure that you ordered the right parts.
Old 02-07-04, 12:53 PM
clark
Driver School Candidate

Default I'll call them and double check.

I ordered the strut bar cushions and they said they would have them in on Tuesday. I will call them then and have them check to make sure it is the correct part. So it should be one piece to include both the cushion and the strut bar?
Old 02-07-04, 02:06 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Here is a better picture.

Here, strut rod is #12.
On a 95-97 LS400, it looks exactly like this!
None of the parts of the actual strut rods that I have seen and installed are removable.
Old 02-07-04, 06:29 PM
clark
Driver School Candidate

Default 1990 strut rod

Ok, I see from the the above 1997 strut rod, my 1990 strut rod is very different. My strut bar is threaded on one end which goes through the center of the strut cushion. There are bolts that screw on the end of my strut bar on either side of the strut cushion. The strut cushion mounts to the front frame.
Old 02-23-04, 02:04 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My different set of facts re strut rod cushions

Joining in late here (new to this group), but my experience with strut rod cushions was better than all the earlier posts.

My front end man showed me tearing in mine, before I had any complaint.

I called my usual favorite supplier: Champion Toyota in Houston; 800-327-2087.

They immediately offerd me just the cushions, at about $40.00 each. Said they would have to order them; came to me in NC about 8 days later.

My local NAPA machine shop pressed old ones out and new ones in for $10.00; took about 5 minutes. They do have a position requirement, based on a reference rib in the rubber.

Whole job was easy as pie, and ride over bumps is definitely improved.
Old 02-24-04, 01:41 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If the strut rod is allowing lateral play, would this also present problems for the lower suspension arm and specifically that bushing too? My thought is...if you are that far in, might as well get to that one too.
Old 03-20-04, 09:50 AM
lexer
Driver School Candidate

Default I want to cry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really wnt to cry................

My 96 LS400 had the exact same problem in January. I brought it to a local Lexus dealer to get it fixed and been charged for $1,500.+. I will come to the Club Lexus more often. This is a very expensive lesson.
Old 03-21-04, 02:52 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Lexus Cerritos quoted me $850 to install/replace the strut bars. I about fell out of the chair when he told me that.