LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Miss firing need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-23, 11:43 AM
Jsutafurr
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Miss firing need help

Hello sort of new here been lurking and gathering information for a while but this problem has seem to stump me dead in my tracks,my 95 ls400 started acting weird coming home a few weeks ago and I didn't pay much attention till it started miss firing and throwing codes,the codes that came up were for miss fires on cyl 8 and 2. Changed the plugs,no change. Changed the wires,still didn't fix it. Changed the cap and rotors,still no dice. Changed the throttle position sensor because previous owner put in some cheap China after market one and still no change. I've done the whole fuel pump resistor bypass and still no change. The only I haven't done is check the fuel pressure and I have no clue how you check it on this. Even tried swapping ecus from my buddies ls400(same model year) and still running absolutely horrible. Same codes came back with the different ecu. Checked timing with my scanner and everything seems normal,the only thing I can see is the bank one sensor two is a bit bellow threshold but no by much.
Old 10-21-23, 11:59 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 414 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm far from an expert on these things - my blind guess would be test for vacuum leak. But I'd imagine that would cause a miss on more than just the same two cylinders.

Also, did you clean out air mix passages? Perhaps they are clogged with carbon which is interfering with the atomization of the fuel by the injectors.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ttle-body.html

I'm sure some other folks will have far better ideas than this as well. Best of luck.
Old 10-21-23, 12:55 PM
GoldStar
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If the plugs, wires, distributor, AND ECU were swapped, but you're still getting misfires only on cylinders 2 and 8, I'd put my money on the fuel injectors. Could be that they're failing, got clogged, or have wiring issues

Last edited by GoldStar; 10-21-23 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-21-23, 01:04 PM
bradland

Received 654 Likes on 534 Posts

How did the plugs look when you removed them?
Leaky tube seals will certainly cause a misfire and is rather common on a car of that age.

Old 10-21-23, 01:19 PM
Jsutafurr
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
How did the plugs look when you removed them?
Leaky tube seals will certainly cause a misfire and is rather common on a car of that age.
for cyl 2 and 8 they were black like those two are running really rich,doesn't smell like it's burning oil
Old 10-21-23, 01:21 PM
bradland

Received 654 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsutafurr;[url=tel:11599475
11599475]for cyl 2 and 8 they were black like those two are running really rich,doesn't smell like it's burning oil
Carbon black or oily and wet black?
Old 10-21-23, 01:21 PM
Jsutafurr
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoldStar
If the plugs, wires, distributor, AND ECU were swapped, but you're still getting misfires only on cylinders 2 and 8, I'd put my money on the fuel injectors. Could be that they're failing, got clogged, or have wiring issues
I'll take them out and swap them with my buddies,thankfully the doesn't drive his ls that much and he gave me permission to use his parts for diag
Old 10-21-23, 01:23 PM
Jsutafurr
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
Carbon black or oily and wet black?
carbon black,compression test came back fine,only have about a 5 psi deviation between all the cyls
Old 10-21-23, 01:26 PM
Jsutafurr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jsutafurr
Hello sort of new here been lurking and gathering information for a while but this problem has seem to stump me dead in my tracks,my 95 ls400 started acting weird coming home a few weeks ago and I didn't pay much attention till it started miss firing and throwing codes,the codes that came up were for miss fires on cyl 8 and 2. Changed the plugs,no change. Changed the wires,still didn't fix it. Changed the cap and rotors,still no dice. Changed the throttle position sensor because previous owner put in some cheap China after market one and still no change. I've done the whole fuel pump resistor bypass and still no change. The only I haven't done is check the fuel pressure and I have no clue how you check it on this. Even tried swapping ecus from my buddies ls400(same model year) and still running absolutely horrible. Same codes came back with the different ecu. Checked timing with my scanner and everything seems normal,the only thing I can see is the bank one sensor two is a bit bellow threshold but no by much.
to add to this,forgot to mention cold starts seem fine but once it gets some temp that's when it starts to act up
Old 10-22-23, 07:13 PM
Jsutafurr
Rookie

Default Possible lead

Used my buddies good scanner to see all values of all the senors and everything seems fine but the downstream o2 sensors,they are reading .662 for bank 1 senor 2 and .750 for bank 2 senor 2. I've been reading everywhere and I can't come up with if that is normal or not,anyone here know?
Old 10-22-23, 07:14 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 414 Likes on 321 Posts

Raw values for O2 sensors mean nothing. What matters is the pattern they display. for example, the upstream o2 sensors should oscillate between 0.1v and 0.9v. And downstream sensors should report a steady value and should not oscillate.

There are a million videos on Youtube showing what you should see.

The downstream O2 sensors are really only there to make sure the cat is working and are unrelated to your symptoms.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 10-22-23 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-23-23, 12:54 PM
Jsutafurr
Rookie

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
Raw values for O2 sensors mean nothing. What matters is the pattern they display. for example, the upstream o2 sensors should oscillate between 0.1v and 0.9v. And downstream sensors should report a steady value and should not oscillate.

There are a million videos on Youtube showing what you should see.

The downstream O2 sensors are really only there to make sure the cat is working and are unrelated to your symptoms.
that's what is stumping me,because the down stream o2 are reading 1v and 1.2v respectively while the car is off,with the car running I have to create a major vacuum leak for them to start reading lean,and that goes for primary and secondary
Old 10-23-23, 01:29 PM
Jsutafurr
Rookie

Also with the scan tool I can see that the maf sensor reads 10-15g/s at idle,could that be the cause of it?
Old 10-23-23, 05:21 PM
timmy0tool

Received 417 Likes on 372 Posts

so the problems remain on those 2 cylinders despite all the parts replaced? i would do a compression test next!
Old 10-23-23, 05:42 PM
Jsutafurr
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
so the problems remain on those 2 cylinders despite all the parts replaced? i would do a compression test next!
compression test came back OK ish,bank 1 (cyl 1,3,5,7) they are all at 180,bank 2 (2,4,6,8) they are low from the other bank at 150-160. I have the original service manuals the big dealer books and it says 145 is the min and 190 is on the higher end. So they are still with in spec. Talked to a local toyota/lexus mechanic and he said it could be excess carbon build up so there's only one way to find out. But so far it's still not wanting to run right. (Yes I did the compression tests dry and wet made no difference)

Quick Reply: Miss firing need help