LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Starter replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23, 11:48 AM
TheTallOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter replacement help

I need help with getting the rear coolant bridge off the engine. I got the nuts off the driver side but I can’t seem to get the last one on the passenger side facing the firewall to remove the bridge. I can’t get my socket to seat on the nut, has anyone else ran into this? So much for trying to get it done in a day
Old 09-10-23, 12:30 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTallOne
I need help with getting the rear coolant bridge off the engine. I got the nuts off the driver side but I can’t seem to get the last one on the passenger side facing the firewall to remove the bridge. I can’t get my socket to seat on the nut, has anyone else ran into this? So much for trying to get it done in a day
Shouldn't be a problem with a decent set of wobble and flexible extensions. Perhaps you need to unbolt the wiring harness if it's blocking?
Old 09-10-23, 12:37 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 179 Posts

Someone on another forum mentioned that the labor book time for starter replacement for Toyota V8's is ~10 hours. It took me closer to 12 hours because I work slow and not under the gun to get cars in and out of the shop.

Is there something in the way? Is there a plastic wire harness housing attached to the crossover like later models? If you unfasten the housing from the crossover, you can take a pry bar and gently move the housing out of the way for tool access.

Looking at the parts diagram, the crossover sits at an angle on the right side is at an angle, yes? Have you tried using an extension and a universal socket and approach from the driver's side.

Old 09-10-23, 01:43 PM
TheTallOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paulo57509
Someone on another forum mentioned that the labor book time for starter replacement for Toyota V8's is ~10 hours. It took me closer to 12 hours because I work slow and not under the gun to get cars in and out of the shop.

Is there something in the way? Is there a plastic wire harness housing attached to the crossover like later models? If you unfasten the housing from the crossover, you can take a pry bar and gently move the housing out of the way for tool access.

Looking at the parts diagram, the crossover sits at an angle on the right side is at an angle, yes? Have you tried using an extension and a universal socket and approach from the driver's side.

it just seems like my socket will not fit onto the bolt as the bridge itself is in the way. I’ve decided I’m going to go out and grab some universal sockets and try and just Remove the starter from the back. I should also note that I was not able to get me EGR pipe out of the way, it was seized on the bottom end so I’m also fighting that to get the 14mm starter bolts out
Old 09-10-23, 06:59 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 179 Posts

That's one thing I'm grateful for the '98 not having....an external EGR system.
Old 02-15-24, 08:52 AM
syphered
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i just did this this morning i had to loosen the two bolts that hold the black plastic box that runs right behind/on top of the coolant valley(2 bolts), then to get to the rear bolt(drivers side) your gonna have to unbolt the nut that's holding the wires closest to that rear driver side coolant valley nut (otherwise your not gonna have enough wiggle room) that are connected behind, I forget what size nut so you can get a 12mm socket(w/extension) in there and as far as the passenger side i used the 12mm and extension also. the front two bolts are easily accessible. you may also have to unplug the connection its a plastic part with a clip to give you more wiggle room on top of the black box that all the wiring rums through. hope this helps...

Last edited by syphered; 02-15-24 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-15-24, 09:04 AM
syphered
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i also had to disconnect one of the vacuum hoses that runs from the firewall in order to have enough room to get my socket with the extension on to reach that passenger side nut that's holding the coolant valley down.