Upgrading lights on 2003 Lexus ES300! Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 10:10 AM
idream08
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading lights on 2003 Lexus ES300! Thanks

Good Day,

Sorry for this extremely long post...i'm just trying to be clear as possible. To be considerate and appreciative of your time and help....let me sum up what i'm trying to do in bold, below

I have a 2003 Lexus ES300, all the lights are Factory.
I don't know if this is realistic but i'm looking at spending no more than $250 for parts and labor.
I want to inexpensively change to the clear, blueish/pinkish looking lights on the newer Lexus, Acura's and Benz. The guy at car custom shop tells me the lights are actually white and blue lights are illegal in Georgia. I don't want anything illegal so guide me to the legal ones, lol.
The prices on Amazon are 50 to 70% cheaper than the local car shops....can someone guide me to the correct ones that'll last, that are legal and wont blind people in front of me? Also wont downgrade my current vision of the road.
I'd like to change fog lights, y'all recommend the same color has new headlights, would i have to buy a total new kit for the fogs, also the small half dollar sized lights and i'd like to change the color of the yellow lights that are used pre evening. But i don't think i want them the same color as the headlights....but i don't like that yellow...
Is it inexpensive to change dash lights to a different color (cost of lights and installation estimate)?
Any inexpensive legal suggestions for the back lights (brake lights, parking lights).
Any cheap headlight covers on Amazon? i've heard some say u can just buy the covers then most say you have to buy the entire headlight....well i don't want the factory color headlight from 2003....inexpensive options?

I want to buy parts from Amazon since its much cheaper but i'm going to pay for installation, i don't care if installing is easy as pumping gas, i'm not good at that stuff so i'll pay. Plus i'll have receipts that it was professionally done.

Will any of this cause me any battery problems? I think i currently have 2 year old silver from auto zone. i do have an amp hooked up for my after market radio. Thanks

^^^ that was a summary, all the paragraphs below can be considered irrelevant. But, i wanted to be clear as possible because i'm not knowledgeable on cars. I've always paid others to do everything from windshield wipers to headlights....please don't knock me....i've very intelligent in several other fields.

I know there's been several discussion on this but i'm illiterate to some of the terminology because i'm not mechanically inclined..this is my 3rd Lexus and i've never changed a bulb or tire (i've always paid someone). Right now i'm torn if i'm going to keep my 03 ES300 or trade in and get a newer model. I think some little upgrades can keep me in this good car for at least another year since its paid for.

I'd like to put those sweet lights in that you see on Acura's, newer Lexus, Audi's, etc...I've heard since the 2003 didn't come with hid kit i'd need to buy the kit, i've heard some say they have bulbs on Amazon that don't require kit, etc.... The part i'm confused on is i go to local audio shops and the Hid kits run 79 to 239. then they tell me installation is going to run about 120. It'll be less if the bumper doesn't have to be removed. Will the bumper need to be removed?

I'm confused because--i see the kits on Amazon for $39 and i hear some people saying all you have to do is get the kit on Amazon and let someone install. But some people on the forums say those kits are buggy and malfunction after a couple of months. I've heard some say it caused battery issues, i've heard some say you also need to buy this and buy that. Some say get plug and play and do it yourself it'll only take an hour. Trust me, i'm not doing it myself. I've never been good at those things and i don't have time to experiment even if a 5 year old can do it, please respect that. I'm going to pay a professional to do it. But, if I can save by purchasing on Amazon that's what i want to do since i'm a prime member. After all i've spent i don't want to pay another $300 on lights but i would like those nice lights and maybe since the car is paid off, it'll keep me from lusting for a newer one. At least for another year.

My question, if anyone has the time to help me.

Guide me to the cheapest kit on Amazon. I live in Georgia, those blue lights are illegal. many have them but its illegal. I'm not trying to ride illegal. One guy tells me the lights on these newer Lexus, Acura's and Audi's aren't blue their white??? He told me all he can sell me is the white lights but there the ones i'm looking for. Ok i'm color blind, guide me to the pretty lights that are legal please!!! Secondly, i see people on these forums saying they got the 6000 no get the 4000 or something like that. I don't want the lights that are going to harass drivers in front of me......my friend has an escalade and his lights shine like high beams.....i'm not trying to blind anyone. I just want the basic lights that aren't the color of the factory. Like i said i see kits on Amazon for 39, are those any good, will i need to buy anything else with them?

Also i've had this car for over 4 years, i run the fog lights everyday and suprisingly i've never had to change them. Well if i'm going to get new hid lights, i might as well get the same color fog lights. Can someone point me to clear, blue looking (but legal) fog lights i need on Amazon?

One local shop sells the lights that can be designed to look in different shapes like the new benz, audi's, etc...Those are 79 for each side plus installation.

Since i'm on lighting.....the there's 2 small side lights next to the low beam, i guess i'd need to get those in the same color also, right?

How about the lights (not headlights) but the one you run in the early evening or on a rainy day that are yellow looking. I've always wanted those to be a different color, can someone point me to the correct lights for that, and definitely not yellow. I rarely use them but would love a new looking color.

Any inexpensive solutions to change the dash lights on the inside, i love colors like blue and slightly pinkish for the inside lights. Is it expensive to change the color of the dash and interior lights.

I know i'm probablly running over budget but while i'm at it, any legal alterations to the lights in the back (brake lights, parking lights). Like i said i see all these kits on Amazon selling for cheap, if they'll work properly and last please point me in the right direction.

Again i'm not trying to spend over $250 (including installation) if that's not possible or something will malfunction let me know. Also the guy at the audio place tells me the pretty lights that i think are blue or pink are actually white........So i hope i'm being clear, i want the lights that the new Lexus, Acura's and Audi's have.

For the record i'm not trying to downgrade....meaning i'm not trying to have pretty lights but can no longer see the rode as good.

Will the new kit come with arms? i know that probably sounds crazy on a recent road trip i noticed 1 headlight out, i had a back up bulb in the trunk, there was a guy at a gas station (1am in the mornng) who said he could install it. While trying to take out the bulb it came on. The guy told me i have a short, he said i need a new arm?? that was 2 weeks ago and the light is still holding up. Since i'm planning on getting new lights....any info on what he was talking about...arms?

Lastly, my headlight covers look like crap, well not horrible but dull enough, i paid a guy off craigslist they were clearer for a couple days and fogged back up. I've bought 4 or 5 headlight restoration products including $49 Mcguiwers. Sometimes i can see a difference then a few days later their back dull/foggy. Is it pointless for me to get the hid's or whatever you call those lights if my headlight covers are dull. As I said i want the car to look good but i also would like to see the road better without blinding those in front of me.

Sorry for this long post, i just wanted to be clear as possible and i'm unfamiliar with some of the terminology used in these threads about upgrading your head lights from the factory lights on older model Lexus.
Old 05-04-15, 12:16 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I can be of help to you, boy that is a wall of text haha!

First off, what you are probably referring to as illegal is the aftermarket, plug n' play HID kits that are installed in housings that are not designed for them, which cause road glare, danger, etc. That law is the same here in Ohio.

You are going to be spending well more than 250 if you want to do it right for our cars. We have plenty of options. Send me a private message and I could probably put together some links for you if you want to get started with an upgrade.