Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Use 9005 instead of 9006

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-02, 04:01 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dex

Just to keep things in perspective here, Rit&Booner is talking about using a bulb that is uses more power by 10 watts.

Your misfortune came from using bulbs that used more power by 30+ watts.

Trying to draw a relationship between the two cases I think is unwarranted.
yes that is true. but the bulbs that have 10+ watt prolly has a coat of blue over it to make the light more white. that blue coating will neutralize the whole point of adding 10 watts. also like what i described in the picture aboce. the filament is parrallel to the bulb so the light comes out from the side. not the tip.
Old 11-23-02, 09:19 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Most low beams if, not all have, a glare shield. The grey surface coating on top is to prevent hot spots on the ground but, usually . Your glare shield on the light will do this job for you. I have the 65 watt bulbs in for about 6 or more months now actually, 9 months. There is no problem but, I have not checked my wiring either. 10 watts is not going to melt your insulation or socket most likely. That is part of the reason of doing the conversion. If you go 20+ watts then, your on your own. Besides, don't those Silverstars say 65 watt rating for a 9006 bubl anyways?
Old 11-24-02, 01:31 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Silverstar 9005s are 65W, the 9006 are 55W. So it's a 10W differential, compared to the 85W that a lot of blue-coated 9006s draw. So that's 20W less stress on the harness.
I'm not sure how the lack of a glare cap affects light distribution in a projector low beam like the 1st gen SC/ES/GS.

The other question is about the usefullness of upgraded harnesses/with relays. It seems like even if the wires leading directly to the bulb are upgraded, the wires that feed those may be stressed. I'm not sure if the highs, lows, and fogs share the same power feed. Lows+fogs or Lows+highs are definitely drawing more than 55W, not sure how that differs from the stress of running 9005s all the time as low beams.
Old 11-24-02, 02:28 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

its not the stress that is damaging the upgrade wire harenss with relay. the damage is usually occurs where the bulb plugs in due to heat. no damage around the original plug to the new plug

Last edited by Jmai22; 11-24-02 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-24-02, 04:57 AM
girvan
Rookie

I’ve successfully used 9005s in my fog lights and they are much brighter. In all but the cheapest reflectors, a shield is included in front of bulb in fog and low beams duplicating the functionality of the painted cap. A large part of the additional brightness comes not from the extra wattage but because the bulbs are optimized for a shorter but more efficient life. Efficiency and life are major compromises in filament bulbs. According to Osram the difference is more than 10:1 in reduced life. I still don’t mind the trade off but some people might.

Don’t overlook that a 80 watt highly BLUE (high color temp to some) bulb will dissipate a LOT more heat through the base. Blue bulbs work by trapping much of the red, infrared, some green and a little blue spectrum with a colored coating. This raises the glass and hence the base temperature of the bulb. In a clear or relatively clear bulb much of this energy is radiated out of the front of the lamp as addition light and heat, and wont get to the plastic base.
Old 12-01-02, 11:54 PM
blingblinglexus
Driver School Candidate

Default JUST DID IT TODAY!!!

i went down to pep boyz today. Got the sylvania Silverstar 9005s instead mostly because they were out and i'm impatient.
It took like 25 mins to install cuz i'm 15-and don't do machanics, and my dad is a bit slow with cars-He's a physcist. Ok, enough with my life. There are two lil thingies in the tube of the 9005 that gets in the way. instead of cutting those off, i took off the ones on the connector....got yelled @ by my mom.
enough with the installation... OH BTW, I'm mad @ lexus for not putting instructions in the manual!!! rrr!!!
The lights do look brighter. They are nothing compared to my dad's LS, but they are nice. I went by a few cops tonight and they didn't care @ all. I'll try to post pictures when i get my camera back. THANKS GUYS FOR POSTING ON THIS THING. IT'S HELPED A LOT. "2-thumbs up". I think once the high-beams go out, i'll get a different brand. the silverstars are too normal for me. i want the straight up blue.
Old 12-05-02, 04:03 AM
sc4cmf
Driver School Candidate

Default Head Light Bulbs

Ok- I've tried a lot of ways to make our head lights (95 SC400) brighter and heres what I have found that works the best. I had PIAA's 9006, And PIAA"S 9005 (Super white, Slightly blue) in. They were great but I wanted more light. So I asked around, and heard about the sylvania silver stars. I bought them, installed them and WOW !! PIAA -yeah its a great name but silver stars are the way to go Paid about $27.00 ea. for them. little under $60.00 pr.
--9006 are 80w.(factory and also PIAA and silver stars) and the 9005 are 100w

P.S. -if you want even brighter raise the head light , and test it out, also moves left and right, (brights too) I did and I'm BLINDING, my mom can't stay away from driving my sc400 at night. Beats her 2000 solara all to hell.!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-02, 12:42 AM
NoLexNoSex
Driver

dude...that is quite unethical....the point of headlights are to illuminate the road...not blind the other person...

anyways...im a hypocrite...the liquid center thingy that shows if my headlights are centered are way off....apparently im aimed too high...i dont give a shizat anyways...cuz my car must look pretty daymn bright...i've been flashed coupla times already...road's ok..i just put on the fogs...
Old 12-17-02, 02:52 AM
sc4cmf
Driver School Candidate

Default lights for the road not for blinding

DUDE_! I did this for better vision for me not to blind the other drivers...... YEah!!! lets blind people and leave me in the dark too!!! THAT way we will both be blind!!!? I wonder what will happen then?? ----think----
Old 12-19-02, 09:57 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my gs300 halogens stock 9006 are 51 watts (odd number), and the 9005 are 60 watts..... at what point is it borderline to put higher wattage bulbs to avoid burning the wire insulation or socket? +20 watts over OEM wattage?

Last edited by PHML; 12-19-02 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-20-02, 12:49 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

20 is too much. i would say 10
Old 12-22-02, 11:48 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Head Light Bulbs

Originally posted by ToeJam300

sc4cmf, you are misinformed!
Factory spec. requirements are 55w for 9006, 65w for 9005.
Siverstars are rated as followed:
9006 - 1000 Lumens +/-15% Max. 60w
9005 - 1700 Lumnes =/-12% Max. 70w

Silverstar bulbs are better than PIAA.

FYI - You can find Silverstars at Kragen / Autozone for $20.00 ea.
Exactly. That was the reason I put 9005's in my lows. The additional 10W of power is negligible in my mind for the increased lumens of output. I did this with the silverstars and the output is MUCH better.(a 70% increase, do the math) Those PIAA bulbs are definitely OVERPRICED. I've been through set after set of them with my vehicles before.......NOT worth the extra $$$ and don't last any longer than other "decent" brands.
Old 12-25-02, 06:33 PM
sc4cmf
Driver School Candidate

Default To: toejam300

Read my damn post, my info of cost isnt hear-say (like yours) its off my receipt. Wattage also off my package ---you dont believe me, its no skin off my *** but dont mis-inform others with your stupidity.--oh and by the way, I did say that the silverstars were better, I had both...-also another fact..!! P.S>do not reply to this post if you have an I.Q. of less than 50.
Old 12-26-02, 06:11 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

to everyone it concerns:

please be nice. if you can't be nice, don't say anything at all. i am not pointing fingers. this is a fairly educational thread, let's try to stay on track and keep it going. cursing/cussing is not tolerated on clublexus.

thank you and have a nice day.
Old 12-26-02, 06:39 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up yes

For sure, well said MeZoom..... Let's be nice here.

Rock

Quick Reply: Use 9005 instead of 9006