Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Now its on to the ES 300 tail lights..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-02, 10:19 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now its on to the tail lights..

I have a little free time tommorow before work, so I'm going to attempt to remove all the color from my 93 es300 tails.. Can this be done? If anyone has sucessfully done this, or even attempted and failed please let me know. I figure with the headlights clear, and now the fogs, I NEED clear tails!!
Old 04-29-02, 04:26 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear Tail lights

The clear tails are harder than the headlights. First, the glue is not heat sensitive, so the oven only works for some parts. The inside, you have to pry things apart, and be careful that you don't break anything, our tail lights are expensive. Let me know what happens
Old 04-30-02, 06:37 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Angry UGLY!!

Well it all started off great. I removed everything then stuck it in the oven. It was comeing apart perfect. Then my 3 month old daughter starts screaming at the top of the lungs from her swing( Because it was my day to watch her!) so I start rushing <- First mistake! So here I am trying to rush before it gets cold and I have to reheat again and SNAP, right in half! I was so pissed off. Anyway I took several pics that I'm going to post up here when I get the film devoloped in the next day or two(Because I have no digi cam) and its just plain UGLY!! I mean maybe if, when you get it apart, you stick something to the back of the light like foil or something to make the backing look cool then I'd say go for it, but just removeing all the red and orange with the plain back is uuggllyy.... Just wait for the pics and make your own judgement
Old 04-30-02, 06:39 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Default Ohh yeah..

I found a replacement light at a local junkyard...125.00

-Not as bad as I thought it'd be..
Old 04-30-02, 07:26 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

How bout just removing the orange part so it can resemble the 2000-2001 es.
Old 04-30-02, 09:36 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

You'd still be able to see the ugly backing.. Anyway its all one piece that stretches across the whole light houseing..
Old 04-30-02, 09:43 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Default I did it!

I took out the amber piece on my 92 and it looks really nice. It is back further than all the other pieces, but it looks nice. I also took off all the clear pices behind the red parts so all you see really is the bulb when it is shining. what the white pieces do is make the light look like it is going all the way across, I took them out and kept the red in and it looks like just bulbs are there or circles of red. The amber piece I took out now is bright as hell when you put on the turn signal. BE VERY CAREFULL because I also cracked my clear front piece half way down. It really sucks. So Go slow. It was easy if I had only took my time.

Adam "Lexist"
Old 04-30-02, 11:11 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Have any pix 1loudlex?
Old 05-01-02, 04:52 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Default Tail lights

That sounds better. I didn't know that you were taking out all the red and orange. I thought you were just taking out the orange. Well we need to get some pics up here so the rest of us know whether to do it or not. If the car looks sweet, then I say we should do it.
Old 05-01-02, 09:30 AM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Default Ill get some pics soon!

I will take pictures of the next one I do and will get them up asap. It is not something I want to rush after cracking the first one, but I will get it up soon

Adam "Lexist"
Old 05-01-02, 01:10 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Well I hope you do the other one without cracking it. How bad is the first one cracked? Where is it cracked at?
Old 05-03-02, 08:11 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Default Lights

What's the ETA on some photos of these new cleared tail lights? Does anyone have any photos of them yet? If so, I'd like to see them so I know if I should do the clearing. Oh, and if possible, take some at night too so we can see how it looks with the tail lights on.
Old 05-04-02, 12:45 AM
tEEnES3
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

was wondering if this is possible for my 99 es3..??
Old 05-04-02, 05:20 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Default 99

Maybe, I am not to sure of the structure of the tail lights on earlier ES300s, but I do think it would be possible. I think it was the 2000s that had the white bar accross the tail lights anyway, not orange like on the others.
Old 05-06-02, 10:49 AM
BigRich
Pole Position

Originally posted by EGainer
Well I hope you do the other one without cracking it. How bad is the first one cracked? Where is it cracked at?

Well mine is right after the bend all the way down. I took the pics, now I just need to get off my lazy azz and get them devoloped..

Quick Reply: Now its on to the ES 300 tail lights..