Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Philips Ultinon 6000K HID RX 300

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-02, 10:31 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, pictures to come later, I left my digi camera at home...

As for the ballasts for the fogs, basically I think I mounted them anywhere secure and tight. Look under the hood near the headlight housing, try to find an empty spot where you can mount the ballasts. As long as they are not mounted near a moving part (eg. fan belt etc.) or hot parts (eg. engine). Either tie the ballasts with plastic cords (don't know the exact terms -- the ones that you can secure tightly for loose wires), and also use the provided strong double sided tapes.

As for my headlight, it is factory HID, so the original ballasts (made by Denso, Japan) are located neatly underneath the headlight housing, so you can't see it unless you remove the headlight housing.

thanks,
Hendry
Old 02-07-02, 10:33 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks........ I think I'm going to order some bulbs right now....
Old 02-07-02, 11:19 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

mrsypher,

I noticed your car has the nav package, meaning that it should also have the factory HID, right?

If yes, you're right, you only need to buy the bulbs, don't need the whole kit. AND, tell them you just need the D2R Philips Ultinon stage II (stage I will be same as the factory -- beats the purpose of changing them). If it's out of stock, check other shops, and be patient. Some shops may tell you to settle for D2S bulbs, and tell you it's the same as D2R. <<WRONG!>> First of all, they look very similar, but they are so much different!

D2S bulbs are only for cars with projector headlights, like the SC430, Audi, BMW, etc... It doesn't have the cover shield to reduce glare for oncoming vehicles. The fitment bulb base is also different. You'll need to modify the base for perfect fitment. EVEN that, the focus is WAY OFF... The light is not focused at all... your light will be brighter on the shorter length, not far away as normal.

Remember, don't ever settle for D2S, no matter what they tell you, just be patient.

Check these places:

www.hids4less.com
www.autolamps-online.com

Good luck!
Hendry
Old 02-07-02, 11:28 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Here are some links from autolamps-online.com

http://www.autolamps-online.com/products/d2r6000.htm

Note: Autolamps-online is based in Germany, but their service is excellent, fast shipment and comparable pricing (their price include shipping -- I think) too...

HIDS4LESS is in US, and both prices are very comparable, so check to see which shop has inventory in stock...
Old 02-07-02, 11:35 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks again...
Old 02-07-02, 01:25 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

so do I NEED the D2R for my low beam hid kit??

or for me it doesn't matter since i need the entire kit n e ways
Old 02-07-02, 01:37 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

damn at autotoys its 420... but its made in taiwan and is only 5500k... not 6000k

if i buy from autolamp online for the 6000k ultions HID kit
would it be this one?

9006 6000K Xenon HID Headlamp conversion kit

if so its only 575 and i say that is a fair price... i would purchase it if its that price... help me out here hleo

also do i have to telll them i need the D2R??

thanks man
Old 02-07-02, 04:30 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=601727113

what do you think of these HIDS? its the new 8000k kits

for only 520 shipped...

ALL NEW! K2 8000K HID Conversion system 9006

It includes high end components such as ballasts with built in ignitors made by OSRAM in Germany (better known as Sylvania in the US) and bulbs made by Venture Lighting.

dunno what you gusy think??? i'm tempted on this one...
Old 02-07-02, 05:41 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Spinteews,

8000K finally here? Hmm... I honestly don't know which one you should go for... I have not personally seen 8000K light output before, but I'm sure they look nice. I've seen 7000K before, made in Japan, and they do look nice. The 7000K blueish is not as strong blueish as the Philips Ultinons.

It's totally personal preference, the 8000K kit and bulb I believe is made in Japan or Korea, and the Philips Ultinons I think in Germany ???

If I were you, email the ebay seller see if they can provide some pictures of the actual 8000K bulbs, ballasts, so at least we can see the quality of the workmanship of the bulbs.

And as for the Philips Ultinon for your lowbeam, if you can, get the 9006 appl with D2R, so the beam pattern will be exactly like factory. Using 9006 appl D2S is also not a big problem, only slightly more glare for oncoming cars... but nothing to worry about, not that terrible...

Yes, you've got the right one from Autolamps, 9006 6000K Xenon, email them to confirm... $575 include shipping...

good luck!
Old 02-07-02, 10:10 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

are the ones from autolamps the philips 6000k ultions? damn haha too many to choose.. dont know which one...
Old 02-07-02, 10:36 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Spinteews,

Here's the Autolamps 9006 Ultinon more info page:

http://www.autolamps-online.com/prod...0066000kit.htm

cost $579 (include shipping)

you'll love them...
Old 02-08-02, 12:50 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

LOL ok sorry all all this post about HID, but i'm very picky also and im' trying to spend my money wisely... gotta get hids.. ok, EVERYONE check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=601727113

this one is from ebay and its the 8000k HID kit from Sylvania and cost about $520.... talk to the guy who is selling it on ebay and he is very nice... said all customers liked it and he installed his on hi lexus es300...

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront
link to autotoys store and 2nd link is the installation of it
http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY...id_lights.html

these are on say for $420 but are made in korea... they dont know the brand nor do they know if its D2R or D2S... also the guy said on the box it said it was a 5500k temp... dunno about these.. but those installation pictures look good... bright also... REAL bright...

http://www.autolamps-online.com/prod...0066000kit.htm
this place looks pretty good also... but they dont have a real example to show us... would be better if i can see an example for it... these are the philips ultion 6000k for $575...

so those are my options... i think

people tell me your opinion and what you would consider getting... i'm still debating over which one i would want... damn lights all look sweet... and good
Old 02-08-02, 12:55 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

also, hey Hleo, can you take a picture in the car viewing outside... i want to see how good the lights project on the road... dont want anything that dones't work that good thanks
Old 02-08-02, 08:00 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Spinteews,

Yes, there are certainly options on the market we can select from. I've been playing around with HID for a long time. The very first HID kit I bought 3-4 years ago have the same brightness as the HID kit we have now. The brightness is all the same, the only difference is color. So if you're not picky about color, you might want to go for the least expensive kit. However, if you are very picky about color like me, then it depends if you want the Philips or 8000K ones.

Like I mentioned before, I have not personally seen or tested the 8000K. Just to give it an example, refer to my previous pics of the HID. Remember, both the lowbeam and foglights are using 6000K HID. Only difference is manufacturer of bulbs: Lowbeam Philips Ultinon 6000K, the other is Sylvania 6000K. Now, it's VERY obvious with the color difference, don't you think? Brightness is the same, as long as you get the right fit. So then it comes down to which manufacturer you like. Personally I like the Philips Ultinons, that's why I'm planning to take out and sell my current foglights HID and put in the Philips Ultinons.

My digital camera is not able to take good pictures at night on the dark road, so what I can do is take pictures of the lights shown on the wall...
Old 02-08-02, 08:01 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

When first turned on

0 Minutes
Attached Thumbnails Philips Ultinon 6000K HID RX 300-wall-0-min.jpg  

Quick Reply: Philips Ultinon 6000K HID RX 300