Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Changing RX 300 bulbs? Aargh.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-01, 06:01 PM
mikebyron

could they make this car more non-servicable?
I replaced my lows and highs with piaa's.
Then I noticed the fogs were awfully yellow - so i went to replace them. wow, talk about a pain. My dealer actually told me I had to replace the entire assembly - luckely I checked here to find a couple of tips to get more angle on the bulb...

so here is my question - now of course I have to replace the parking light. The little yellow bulb in the corner. Its a type 168 but I cannot seem to find any access to it without removing the assembly.

Has anyone done this? Can you get to it from inside the wheel well if I remove the plastic cover in there?
Old 08-18-01, 07:48 PM
sleepybobcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

Could you give me some instructions on relpacing
the foglight bulbs?

Thanks!

Bob
rlee@oceanfree.net
Old 08-18-01, 10:01 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

ya man, haha my lights are too yellowish, i want the all white or a bit of blue tint into my car lights hahha, also i want to clear out all my corners also which would look sweet. Help us out mikebyron haha, i'm still trying to get HIDS from lexus for my SS
Old 08-19-01, 12:51 AM
mikebyron

Default hi/lo's easy - fogs a pain

a previous thread helped me out...

the lows and highs (now all piaa for me) are pretty easy. a 9006 and 9005, twist and pull, straightforward.

the fogs...
passenger side remove the bolt holding down the washer fluid resevoir (sp?) push it back and you can get access to the 9006 fog. It is easiest to remove the wire from the bulb first then rotate the bulb counter clockwise.

Drivers side...
a bit tougher.. I unbolted the top bolts from the "relay" box and pull the plastic "pin" thingy out of the porting tube for the aircleaner. by removing these you can push back all the plastic and gain a couple inches.
Then remove the wire from the low's. This give you another 1/2 inch. From there you should be able to remove the wire then eventually rotate out the bulb.

my problem is doing the damn parking light. Now with piaas in my fog's-low's-and high's the parking lights look extremely yellow.
Old 08-19-01, 06:06 PM
ObiDon
Driver

The Parking light bulbs can be replaced with 194B bulbs. They come in blue. I have had these bulbs for 2 months and have not figured out how to get at the back of the light housing in that area without taking the whole light housing out. If you find an easy way let me know. I have replaced the bright/running lights with 100w Xenon Blue bulbs and may do the same with the fogs.
Old 08-19-01, 11:24 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

wow nice, i want to change my bulbs also ahha, sounds sweet, where did you purchase your bulbs and how much did it cost you? also does it look just as nice as HIDS or basically the game thing? thanks
Old 08-20-01, 06:06 AM
mikebyron

Default bulb cost/look

I bought piaa's for the low's and high's (~55-60 per pair off ebay). 9005 and 9006.

then I actually owned some sylvania 9006's that are called "cool blue" - not as bright but same color temp as the piaa's. Some friends could only see a slight difference. I of course could see a huge difference because I just paid $60 vs $35-40 for the sylvanias.

And no... they don't even touch HID's. They are much closer in color.. they are a bit bluish vs the Yellow look most lamps have (side by side there is a huge difference).

But HID's are just in a completely different league. HID's just do an amazing job at lighting up the road.
I have them in our Audi and love love love them.