Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

LEDs - Wedge Bulb options (2GS & 3GS) comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 04:18 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 315 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
Wow that sure is pricey! $23.95 for two led's plus another $6.00 for shipping???
Old 04-18-05, 04:57 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Chuck-
Though I haven't tried them, I have tried many others. The fact that they're PIAA makes me hesitate to knock them, but I'm guessing they aren't much different than most of the other LED bulbs on the market. First, the line about them having the "electron resistor" is such BS - all LEDs must have a resistor because they can't natively run off the 12V directly. Second, try www.superbrightleds.com, I've ordered many LED bulbs from them, much cheaper, many choices.
I'm also guessing the Raybrig that I'm still waiting for is a bit different, but most others are similar. The only question is whether the PIAAs are lensed differently.
Old 04-18-05, 07:19 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope it emits light to the sides. Hard to tell if these will do that.

Let us know.

Pete
Old 04-18-05, 07:22 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
I hope it emits light to the sides. Hard to tell if these will do that.

Let us know.

Pete

I don't think I'm going to order them-I'll probably wait for the Raybrig 4leds to come in stock. nobody seams to have them right now.
Old 04-18-05, 10:41 PM
98sscamaro
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Can somebody send me a link to sites that sell the wedge bulbs that best match the 6000k bulbs. I cant find any that sell them.

Thanks
Old 04-19-05, 08:45 AM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIAA LEDs

I've tried those PIAA LEDs that you posted. They are ok, but nothing spectacular. I think the Polargs are a nicer fit for the parking lights. They don't emit light to the side.
Old 04-19-05, 09:35 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally Posted by PineGreen
I've tried those PIAA LEDs that you posted. They are ok, but nothing spectacular. I think the Polargs are a nicer fit for the parking lights. They don't emit light to the side.
Ahhhh....i knew someone had to have tried these.....thanks for the info.

Pete
Old 04-19-05, 09:56 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Okay does anybody know of any led wedgies that actually last? I don't care what they cost. I am just tired of changing these things. I've been thru several of the ebay ones and now my velocity LEDs are flickering on me.
Old 04-19-05, 12:49 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Okay does anybody know of any led wedgies that actually last? I don't care what they cost. I am just tired of changing these things. I've been thru several of the ebay ones and now my velocity LEDs are flickering on me.
Where are you using the ones that are dying? If you have them in the same housings as headlights, the heat may be killing them. The manufacturers advise against this.
The ones from superbrightleds.com seem to be pretty good, other people have them with no complaints, I've changed my whole car out with these things, but haven't had them long enough to tell longevity.
Old 04-19-05, 12:59 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Yea that was me haha.

The SC has the marker rather separate from the headlight. On top of this, it's in a tube which keeps it well insulated. So I don't think it's heat.

But hey anything is possible.
Old 04-22-05, 04:00 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

how about these? $10

http://www.autodynamic.com/detail.as...-168-LED-White

Old 04-30-05, 09:12 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts
Default good led design for illuminating wedge housing

Guys,

I just installed this in my gs300 :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33713.

In my opinion, it overcomes the forward projecting tendency of LEDs as in addition to the forward pointing main led,it also has 4 leds pointing to the sides. Result : the wedge housings appear very well lit from all angles, AND you actually have light that is usable in terms of illuminating the road rather then just being accent lighting.

The Drawback : it appears too blue for my stock 4300K HIDs. Those with 6000k HIDS may find it a better match.

If the Raybrig SMD LED is of this design , then coupled with the fact that its color best matches 4300K, it would be the perfect wedge replacement for all GS's around the world with factory HIDs.

I hope PHML can enlighten us about the illuminating capacity of the Raybrigs. I'd order one of those myself if they also had side illuminating capabilties.
Old 04-30-05, 09:27 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Post pics man. that looks very interesting. they look like they'd be wide. did they fit in the hole no prob?

If you can, please post night pics and one of what the bulb looks like sitting in there off during day.

Originally Posted by natnut
Guys,

I just installed this in my gs300 :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33713.

In my opinion, it overcomes the forward projecting tendency of LEDs as in addition to the forward pointing main led,it also has 4 leds pointing to the sides. Result : the wedge housings appear very well lit from all angles, AND you actually have light that is usable in terms of illuminating the road rather then just being accent lighting.

The Drawback : it appears too blue for my stock 4300K HIDs. Those with 6000k HIDS may find it a better match.

If the Raybrig SMD LED is of this design , then coupled with the fact that its color best matches 4300K, it would be the perfect wedge replacement for all GS's around the world with factory HIDs.

I hope PHML can enlighten us about the illuminating capacity of the Raybrigs. I'd order one of those myself if they also had side illuminating capabilties.
Old 04-30-05, 09:55 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts
Default installation is no problem

Chuck,

Installation of the velocity 5 LED HID White Super Refractors are no more difficult than the polarg M4's( which were what I originally had ) as they're only slightly wider than the M4's.

Incidentally, I just found these on the net :

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...gi?product=CAR

Scroll down near to the bottom of the page and look for "WLED-5 Wide Angle LED bulb "
They appear the same design as the velocity LEDs but only $2.79!!!
I don't have them so not sure about the color match though.

BTW, thanks to rominl and PHML for originally directing me to the M4's through their posts on this thread.

Its 12 mn in Singapore so I'm retiring for the night. No promises but I'll try for pics of my car with the velocity leds tomorrow.

Last edited by natnut; 05-01-05 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-01-05, 02:28 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Chuck....these aren't bright enough....i've already tried them....they are the Inverted LED in post #1 of this thread.

Pete

Quick Reply: LEDs - Wedge Bulb options (2GS & 3GS) comparison