LFA Model (2012)

Nurburgring edition spotted at Goodwood

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 05:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Porsche just checked out my eyers for me, they are fine

I don't think GT3 RS, GT2 RS and the RUF CTR3 run any less camber then the Ring edition, I don't see their wheels tuck in at all

Old 07-05-11, 11:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if anything, lower wheel offset will "fix" the camber problem. i am not saying if that's good for performance (turning circle, track, etc...), but just saying how one thing can counter another
Old 07-06-11, 12:48 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Nothing to do with the angle at all........ok let me take the Camry thing back, it tucked in like a stock LS600hL, feels better now?

I really don't think Lexus cares too much about people's preferences for flush-looking wheels on a track car .

Oh look, an Audi race car with tucked in wheels. Stop the presses .

Also need to point out the Nurburgring Package LFA at Goodwood is pre-production. Actual production of the Nurburgring Edition LFAs doesn't start until 2012. Only next year will we see the product car. Wheels might change a bit on the product car, who knows.
Old 07-06-11, 08:59 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Also need to point out the Nurburgring Package LFA at Goodwood is pre-production. Actual production of the Nurburgring Edition LFAs doesn't start until 2012. Only next year will we see the product car. Wheels might change a bit on the product car, who knows.
From the history of things, the production version will only get more conservative.

The aggressiveness goes down as the product progress toward production: Initial concept -> late concept -> prototype -> Pre-production -> production. Just look at the FT86/FR-S
Old 07-06-11, 10:19 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would the production version be more conservative? It might lose the cage but that's ok, it'll bring the weight down. Also, according to Lexus Europe, this is the only one they have. They also said the finalized product should be how the car is now. Not 'more conservative'.
Old 07-06-11, 10:35 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
Why would the production version be more conservative?
Because it almost alway is. There are always exceptions of course.

They also said the finalized product should be how the car is now. Not 'more conservative'.
Lexus said the same thing about the ISF, the pre-production show car was absolutely slammed on the ground. Of course EVERYONE got super excited, no one believe that's how the production car will be because it is crazy aggressive, like tuner/aftermarket slammed car aggressive. So everyone ask Lexus repeatedly, every chances we got if this is how low the production car will be, with very specific question on if this is the "exact" ride height of the final production car. Lexus answered every time "Yes, this is EXACTLY how the finalized production car will be, with the F-line, we finally be able to give the car an aggressive stance". Sure enough, car hit the dealer, they sit at least one full inch higher, no one was surprise, we all knew Lexus was lying

The pre-production show car's tires was tucked inside the fender, production car got 2~3 fingers gap Yeah sure it is "exactly" the same. I am not talking about 0.100"~0.300" tolerance differences, they are differ by 1.00"~2.00"....that's huge. The pre-production cars were intentionally lowered to deceived.

I have "never" seen any cars from any manufacturers where the production verion is actually set up more aggressive then the pre-production verion. The best case would be they are identical, usually happens on ultra exotics like Enzo, Veyron, One-77, Reventon, Carrera GT......etc.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-06-11 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-06-11, 11:18 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Video and article of LFA Nurburgring run at Goodwood by Autoexpress. Sorry don't know how to embed video because its not a YouTube one.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...rburgring.html

Lexus LFA Nurburgring
We blast up Festival of Speed hill in ultimate version of supercar. So is it worth the extra £55k?

If you are going to name a car after the most challenging racing circuit in the world, it had better know its way around it.

Fortunately, the Lexus LFA Nurburgring Package has already posted a seven-minute 22-second lap of its namesake, and sits 10th in the all-time production car rankings. Put simply, this model is phenomenally quick.

Today, though, it’s not the 12.9-mile track in Germany’s Eiffel mountains that it has to tackle; it’s a 1.16-mile hillclimb course in leafy West Sussex. But don’t be fooled by Goodwood’s stunted dimensions. With only a narrow strip of asphalt, blind bends and dry stone walls to contend with, danger lurks around every corner.

And let’s not forget that at lunchtime on Friday, when we’re scheduled to show our mettle, the eyes of thousands of showgoers will be fixed on us, waiting for a dramatic mistake in the world’s only example of this £400,000 special edition. Right now, we wish the car was painted in the subtle optional matt black, rather than the look-at-me lurid orange.

If you hadn’t gathered yet, we’re here for a world exclusive first drive in this even more track-focused version of the world’s most unlikely supercar. We only have one go up the hill, with no practice runs, so there’s no time for holding back.

What exactly do you get for the £55,000 premium over the £345,000 standard LFA? Most noticeable are the aerodynamic carbon-fibre add-ons, including a jutting front spoiler, fins ahead of the front wheel and a massive rear wing. They’re all designed to increase downforce and keep the car glued to the road. To help counteract the additional drag, and maintain the 0-62mph time of 3.7 seconds and top speed of 202mph, the screaming 4.8-litre V10 has been tuned to produce 562bhp. That’s 10bhp more than in the standard car.

Right now, though, the numbers are irrelevant; all we can think about is entertaining the crowd and keeping all four wheels on the tarmac. Working in our favour is the reworked suspension, which is both firmer and 10mm lower. As a result, the ultimate Lexus should corner flatter and faster. Not that the regular LFA rolls like a double decker bus – but at this point, every little helps.

Moments from starting our run, we drop into the black-on-black hand-built cabin, now with carbon fibre integrated into the centre console, door trims and Alcantara-covered seats. We pull on our helmet, squeeze the flat-bottomed wheel and trickle up to the start line.

The first shock is how easy this car is to drive. The steering is light and visibility excellent, making it a doddle to trundle our way to the hillclimb. Clearly, this is a car that Lexus expects to be used every day, just like any other model in its range.

Now, our moment has arrived. As we get the signal to go, we floor the throttle – the rear wheels spin, then it’s into second gear, and the LFA really hooks up. The V10 engine is unlike anything else on the road, revving to up to 9,000rpm – so high that you have to remind yourself to keep your foot pinned as the needle sweeps past the point when even most high-performance units would be calling time.

And it emits an incredible scream as it does so. It’s a note so loud it sounds as though it should be on a race track. After another upshift, it’s obvious that this automated manual is crude compared to the twin-clutch box found in the Ferrari 458 Italia, but it’s so raw that it ends up adding character. Up the straight, the relentless acceleration, then mighty braking forces, are hard to compute.

A few seconds later, and we’re skimming past the infamous stone wall, normally a nervous point, but here we’re treated to a surround-sound symphony from the exhausts. If the Mercedes SLS is a baritone, the LFA is a soprano. We savour one last hit of ferocious straight-line speed before crossing the line, and regaining our breath
Old 07-06-11, 11:26 AM
MDRracing
Rookie

Sickkkkkkk
Old 07-06-11, 12:05 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I'm sure you could find more rewarding things to do with your life.
haha....you are right. I just do this once in a while to take a break, you don't see me here posting 24-7 like some people do

And I point out both extreme, both the best and the worse. Like the LFA have the best engine noise out of all exotic cars next to the Carrera GT, but the styling sure can be more sexy and the wheels need spacers At least it is tuck in far enough so you can use a bolt on adapter, the worse is cars that just need a 5~10mm spacers so you can't run a bolt on adapter, but you have to install some longer studs to run spacers..........opps the LFA use wheel bolts........so longer bolts

Last edited by BNR34; 07-06-11 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 12:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

There is a positive advantage to having tucked in wheels though, you slap a set of cheap spacers on the car and it is instantly cooler then everyone else in a huge way.
Old 07-06-11, 12:33 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one cares about spacers and cool points on a 450k car. You know that. You should also know that the production LFA was better than the prototypes/preproductions. If you follow the LFA threads at all you'd realise that. I'm not jumping on your case but this thread is about the Nurburgring edition. Not how much brownie points your supercar receives for flush wheels or the 'conservative' nature of Lexus cars. No Lexus is a track focused car made of carbon fiber besides this. Tucked wheels or not, none of those Porsches or Ferrari's give you driving training at the Ring, and they're probably nowhere near as compliant and docile as the LFA.
Old 07-06-11, 01:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

No one cares about spacers and cool points on a 450k car. You know that. You should also know that the production LFA was better than the prototypes/preproductions. If you follow the LFA threads at all you'd realise that. I'm not jumping on your case but this thread is about the Nurburgring edition. Not how much brownie points your supercar receives for flush wheels or the 'conservative' nature of Lexus cars. No Lexus is a track focused car made of carbon fiber besides this. Tucked wheels or not, none of those Porsches or Ferrari's give you driving training at the Ring, and they're probably nowhere near as compliant and docile as the LFA.
So you mean the point of a $450k car is not about being cool?

Can you tell me the point of a $450k car then? Basic transportation? Life necessity? Maybe they got such a busy schedule that they are always in a rush, so they buy a $450k car to go from point A to B in the shortest amount of time possible?

In case you forgot, there are tons of much faster cars that are much cheaper.

Let me get this straight, so the LFA is not about speed since there are tons of much faster cars. The LFA is not about being cool. So what is the point of it?

Last edited by BNR34; 07-06-11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 02:15 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd say the point of the Nurburgring Edition LFA is to dance around the ring.
Old 07-06-11, 02:57 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34
Let me get this straight, so the LFA is not about speed since there are tons of much faster cars. The LFA is not about being cool. So what is the point of it?
For the pleasure of a distinct driving experience.
Old 07-06-11, 02:59 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoExpress
So is it worth the extra £55k?
Without back-to-back driving between the regular LFA and the Ring Edition, the answer is still unknown unfortunately. Very good review nevertheless.

Quick Reply: Nurburgring edition spotted at Goodwood