LFA Model (2012)

2/27/11 Lexus LFA Experience w/Scott Pruett - Infineon Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 01:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default 2/27/11 Lexus LFA Experience w/Scott Pruett - Infineon Raceway

So just this past weekend, a handful of our members from NorCal, SoCal and the Pacific Northwest converged at Infineon Raceway to check out the LFA. Since we've seen the LFA tackle turns and straightaways at full throttle, Scott Pruett gave us a show we can never forget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzWslKwd4cE

Last edited by flipside909; 03-03-11 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-03-11, 03:08 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to try some of that
Old 03-03-11, 03:11 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Great video. I think Rhys Millen had a much easier time drifting the LFA. It was kind of funny to see the spoiler popping up and then before it could deploy completely, going back.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-03-11 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-03-11, 03:13 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'Oh, tires are good!' haha 'Their fine'

Nice burnout though, he was 'smokin'
Old 03-03-11, 09:36 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.club4ag.com/Events_Pages/...Impression.htm

Some stuff I wrote in detail on the experience...

Last edited by motohide; 03-03-11 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-03-11, 09:59 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Very nicely written article. I enjoyed reading it. I assume, you did not get a chance to try out the launch control system??

p.s. I noticed you mentioned 'VVTL-i'. Actually, LFA's V10 has a dual VVT-i. Not VVTL-i. 2ZZ-GE is the only engine Toyota/Yamaha ever built that came with a VVTL-i (two cams dedicated each for below and over 6000 rpm operation).

Originally Posted by motohide
http://www.club4ag.com/Events_Pages/...Impression.htm

Some stuff I wrote in detail on the experience...

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-03-11 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-03-11, 10:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Very nicely written review!! We need more of these. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-03-11, 10:14 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I noticed you mentioned 'VVTL-i'. Actually, LFA's V10 has a dual VVT-i. Not VVTL-i. 2ZZ-GE is the only engine Toyota/Yamaha ever built that came with a VVTL-i (two cams dedicated each for below and over 6000 rpm operation).
Nice. That slipped my mind After a hundred versions of variable valve and timing systems, I brain farted. Thanks!!! I corrected the article.
Old 03-03-11, 10:17 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Smile

Very nicely written article. I enjoyed reading it. I assume, you did not get a chance to try out the launch control system??
No we were required to do rolling starts out of the pits so I could not try the drag race feature Sorry!
Old 03-03-11, 10:22 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Good read, nice to hear things like that about the LFA. Very good descriptions! I see it's easy to find your limits in it. Like Autocar did with the 09 race car, Sutcliffe said he could sit there all day and set faster and faster lap times. It was as if the limits of the car were only dictated by how far you were willing to take it. Must be an amazing machine!
Old 03-03-11, 10:37 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a strange but uplifting sight to see fans getting excited about a Lexus, of all cars, doing donuts! I like that color as well!
Old 03-03-11, 10:40 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TF109B
Good read, nice to hear things like that about the LFA. Very good descriptions! I see it's easy to find your limits in it. Like Autocar did with the 09 race car, Sutcliffe said he could sit there all day and set faster and faster lap times. It was as if the limits of the car were only dictated by how far you were willing to take it. Must be an amazing machine!
Yes it actually is... It's just such a docile, predictable car that the only thing that makes you hold back is simply that velocities this car attains without drama. And the more you become accustomed to the speeds and realize at each step that there is just that bit more, you contemplate and proceed. Yes, your mind and the driver's own mental state and skill set are the only limitation to making it go closer to the LFA's capabilities.

But it is more important to note that no matter what the level and skill set, experience level or talent, the LFA is fun at any level and at any speed, tossing and turning like a F16 fighter at your own comfort level. That's because the inherent trait of the car is never nasty, and at any given speed, it is always asking you to take it further. Not a challenge really but with the same invitation that you would kindly receive from your local Lexus dealership, the car seems to have that courtesy too. LOL! No Joke!
Old 03-03-11, 11:10 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I am wondering why Lexus engineers said LFA's transmission programming is very similar to that of Porsche Carrera GT when CGT was 6 speed manual??

Anyway another perspective of the same drift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgVsx...eature=related

Originally Posted by motohide
Yes it actually is... It's just such a docile, predictable car that the only thing that makes you hold back is simply that velocities this car attains without drama. And the more you become accustomed to the speeds and realize at each step that there is just that bit more, you contemplate and proceed. Yes, your mind and the driver's own mental state and skill set are the only limitation to making it go closer to the LFA's capabilities.

But it is more important to note that no matter what the level and skill set, experience level or talent, the LFA is fun at any level and at any speed, tossing and turning like a F16 fighter at your own comfort level. That's because the inherent trait of the car is never nasty, and at any given speed, it is always asking you to take it further. Not a challenge really but with the same invitation that you would kindly receive from your local Lexus dealership, the car seems to have that courtesy too. LOL! No Joke!
Old 03-03-11, 11:24 PM
motohide
Pole Position

I am wondering why Lexus engineers said LFA's transmission programming is very similar to that of Porsche Carrera GT when CGT was 6 speed manual??
He meant the gearbox... without the electric actuator. The LFA unit was a similar box with Lexus' actuators. As for the programming, that's the EFI side that controls the retardation and fuel upon shifting to avoid shock and smoother transition to and from each gear.
Old 03-04-11, 12:24 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

So there wasn't that 'harshness' that weve been hearing about? More like a mechanical almost manual feel, but still lightning fast? If that's what it is, I think they achieved what they set out to do.

Quick Reply: 2/27/11 Lexus LFA Experience w/Scott Pruett - Infineon Raceway