LFA Model (2012)

LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 08:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I think it is fabulous to see you being open minded about cross shopping with a Lexus supercar. Although, this is a Lexus board, but I will try and make it as objective as possible.

- You should also remember, only 500 Lexus LFA will ever be built. Currently, there are about 1300 Carrera GT worldwide.

- Lexus LFA V10 (built in conjunction with Yamaha) has already been flogged around the track for over 12,000 miles at 9500 - 9700 rpm and the prototypes never had any issues.

- Lexus warranty and service with a brand new Lexus LFA. Carrera GT have the issue of carbon fiber turning yellow that Porsche refused to cover under warranty.

- Do you prefer a manual transmission or an automated transmission?? Porsche Carrera GT clutch is very small in diameter and also the Carrera GT does not have a flywheel so the clutch is very difficult to modulate off the line. You either end up stalling it or revving more than you want to.

- Lexus LFA is an automated single clutch manual so it does the rev matching and production LFA also has a launch control system installed in it that allows you to launch from 4000 rpm off the line. That is very helpful considering LFA has no internal inertia so the automated manual makes the job easier in every day driving.

- Carrera GT makes more crank torque and is shorter in 1st gear, but 2nd - 6th is shorter in the LFA so LFA will tend to stay in higher revs a lot more and gets much more torque multiplication through gears and 1000 rpm higher revs (see the track video and in most gears LFA's revs fall to 8000 - 8100 rpm when shifted at 9500 rpm).

- I am not sure of the CGT torque curves, but LFA makes over 90% of its peak torque from 3000 rpm all the way to 9500 rpm.

- Quite a few people on this board are going to the LFA training program March 8th - 15th at Infineon track so you will be reading a lot of their comments, impressions and reviews on this board.

Originally Posted by SUNLINE
Keep the opinions coming. I know it's a tough decision that's why I am reaching out for opinions. I will be trading in a 08 BMW M5 and a 96 F355 Spider and will use the new car on a daily basis, still keeping the miles under 5k per year. I find that my Ferrari sits in the garage too often and I want to drive the exotic more often. The one thing I like about the Porsche is the opportunity to take the targa top off, but realize this is also a hassle. The Ferrari top stays down most of the time because of the time it takes to get the cover on. So part of me wants the LFA and part wants the Carrera GT. It would be great to drive both, but that will realistically not be possible. The GT can be had for around 330K so about 45k cheaper and the prices have stabilized for now. The LFA, to my eyes, is extremely sexy and the exhaust note sounds the equal, or better, of the GT.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-28-11 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 08:21 PM
MRISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LFA all the way
Old 02-28-11, 08:28 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

This will help perhaps? (Source: Evo UK 'Best car of the year' and 'Best engine of the year')

There is nothing in the world like the Lexus LFA. It is more special and intriguing than the 458 and demonstrates an extraordinary level of passion and commitment. Bespoke and limited edition, it is also a genuine supercar that can scare the pants off you. This is mainly thanks to it's extraordinary 552bhp 4.8-litre V10 that does everything a Carrera GT's does and then goes completely mad as it closes in on 9500rpm. Its uncompromising ride adds to the challenge, and it was generally agreed that it would have been a bit of a handful up on the moors,
but we were beguiled. "It's a beautiful thing, all the details, and it has the integrity and functionality of a Lexus. Feels like a step up from everything else here," said Meaden. "Very, very special," said Metcalfe. Thank you, Lexus.

"There is nothing out there that has felt this special since the Macca F1", says Chris Harris. "Too bad it has to go before it could be compared on the track with the best of the rest".

Old 02-28-11, 08:53 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go for the Nurburgring edition if I were you! That's just my opinion. But I think it'd look spectacular in White with those dark mesh wheels, and get some white brake calipers to match! lol, that's just what I'd go for, with the all black interior. That's the car to have for me. While the suspension may be a bit rougher than the regular LFA, you can brag you have one of the Ultimate performing LFA's there is.
Old 02-28-11, 09:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SUNLINE
Keep the opinions coming. I know it's a tough decision that's why I am reaching out for opinions. I will be trading in a 08 BMW M5 and a 96 F355 Spider and will use the new car on a daily basis, still keeping the miles under 5k per year. I find that my Ferrari sits in the garage too often and I want to drive the exotic more often. The one thing I like about the Porsche is the opportunity to take the targa top off, but realize this is also a hassle. The Ferrari top stays down most of the time because of the time it takes to get the cover on. So part of me wants the LFA and part wants the Carrera GT. It would be great to drive both, but that will realistically not be possible. The GT can be had for around 330K so about 45k cheaper and the prices have stabilized for now. The LFA, to my eyes, is extremely sexy and the exhaust note sounds the equal, or better, of the GT.
If you will use the car on a daily basis, that certainly helps. The reliability of both cars should be similar, with the edge going to the LFA. The LFA will be the more comfortable car to drive on a daily basis, and less of a hassle, if you find a traditional manual transmission a hassle in daily driving situations. You can get the LFA with navigation, and other Lexus perks such as Lexus Enform, which gives you things like emergency assistance, roadside assistance, points of interest on the nav, and essentially direct access to a live person with the touch of a button, in case there is a problem or emergency.

It will be easier to service and maintain the LFA than the Carrera GT. Not too sure about the GT maintenance schedule, but the scheduled maintenance on the LFA is every 12 months or 6,000 miles. Based on what you said, you should rarely be at the dealer for maintenance, only about once a year for regular maintenance.
Old 02-28-11, 09:52 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I have read somewhere Porsche intended to build a total of 1500 Carrera GT, but they stopped building the Carrera GT before the 1300 mark since Carrera GT is very tricky to handle at the limits and incompetent people ended up putting them in the walls.

A few incompetent people died when they crashed their Carrera GTs and then their families ended up suing Porsche (and winning) for building a car that "does not handle properly around the track and unsafe at high speeds" (literally the word of the suit).

http://sportscarforums.com/f7/porsch...uit-12357.html

I really hope none of the 500 LFA end up crashing anywhere.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-28-11 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 11:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if it's a car you going to keep for a while and actually drive in a daily basis, i would say lexus. no one knows for sure yet, but i personally would tend to think lexus is probably more reliable, at least on the drive train

the cgt is definitely holding up prices pretty well
Old 03-04-11, 06:26 AM
preetham
Driver School Candidate

They are cars from different generations.
The LFA is new, fresh, different.
Old 03-04-11, 06:41 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
if it's a car you going to keep for a while and actually drive in a daily basis, i would say lexus. no one knows for sure yet, but i personally would tend to think lexus is probably more reliable, at least on the drive train

the cgt is definitely holding up prices pretty well
Porsches are known for their reliability, particularly cars derived from their race variants. Respectfully, I don't think that is a factor. What is a factor is that the Lexus is structurally built with better technology from the whole weaving process to the joining one. It is a monocoque cabin versus an open body one and importantly, you get a new car warranty. The Carrera GT has had issues with the yellowing of the clearcoat so that is something that might want to be checked out as that could be out of your control, affecting resale tremendously. Values have been holding up, however, and that is a good thing with cars of this calibre.
Old 03-05-11, 10:47 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LFA
Old 03-07-11, 01:46 PM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the look of the LFA much better than the GT.
Old 03-07-11, 07:49 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

I think the LFA is a clear choice because you can get it new. Its sort of unfair comparing it to the Carrera GT because it might be hard to find one. Anyways, it would be great if some magazine can do a comparo between these two cars. I wonder how close their performance is to each other?
Old 03-08-11, 03:00 AM
GTS_007
Driver School Candidate

Im a big porsche fan but LFA is gonna be the bang for the bucks...
Old 03-08-11, 04:09 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If I had to choose between these two cars I would choose the LFA all day long. Sorry, I find all Porsche cars ugly despite how much I like their performance. Truthfully, if I had that type of money to spend on a car it would be nothing less than a FERRARI.

Imagine having a conversation with someone and you say yeh I drive a FERRARI now beat it. ha ha
Old 03-16-11, 10:17 AM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

Please let me know when u get it so can I check it out..

Quick Reply: LFA or Porsche Carrera GT?