LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FisforFast
325k pounds? That's almost 600k USD.
You cannot do a direct conversion exchange
Originally Posted by gengar
I have to say I'm more than surprised that there wound up being such attention paid to the interior and the amenities, although I'm thinking that - as with the IS-F - it's a positive thing.

The interior is fabulous and supposedly you can pretty much choose how you want it.
Old 10-20-09, 07:59 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the 0-60 times might end up being better, those are Lexus estimate times, we will have to see if the 202MPH can be reached or even better when some magazine test tries to get it to 200MPH
Old 10-20-09, 07:59 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I should post this here too.

Well I found out today how the LFA will be allocated today. In Japan there will be only one car for each store. You can only put your deposit down at one dealership and if you put your deposit down at multiple dealerships all those deposits will be refunded and your name will be taken off the list. If a dealership fails to sell there LFA before march 2010 it will be returned and sold at another dealership that still has people waiting. The production will start at the end of 2010 and run to the end of 2012 and lexus will decide the order that people will recieve their cars. So you may not recieve your car until 2012 even if you ordered the car this year.

I don't like my chances right now, there are two people at my dealership that seem certain to buy the car, I guess will will have to see what happens over the next few months. But I am guessing that it will be sold out the first day.
Old 10-20-09, 08:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that the party is over I'll share my thoughts...

The unfortunate truth is that to really justify the price this car is going to have to lay the MF'ing smack down to the 458 and McLaren, and I just don't see that happening based on the specs. Even if the LFA beats the two of them by .3 or .4 seconds or 3 or 4 MPH...is it really worth twice as much? I am inclined to say no.

The finished product is a mixed bag. The interior is absolutely amazing but the exterior leaves me cold. The rear of the LFA II was vastly better looking so the production car is a let down in that regard. The front end just doesn't look that aggressive to me...the headlights are lacking whereas the LFA II was unique and had the signature LED "tears". A ferrari is sleek, a lambo is mean, and this LFA looks kind of "empty".

I hate to say this but exclusivity aside, the car itself doesn't really seem to justify the price. Not saying that any of these cars have ever been about value but this one is really just a tad outrageous. Lexus seems to think that because it's their first attempt and they are only building 500 they can charge whatever they want, but when judged against it's peers (especially in terms of price) the LFA seems to fall quite flat.

If this thing had been priced at $150,000 or so it would have been what the LS was to the S and 7 in 1989. Considering how much more it costs than the Ferrari or McLaren, I really don't think it's going to have much impact at all. To the 500 who get one I am sure the car will be amazing (and it is) but if it was my money, I would ask for my deposit back and go elsewhere.

Very sad to say.
Old 10-20-09, 08:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

If it's still one full year from starting production, let's *hope* they can still make a lot of improvements ...
Old 10-20-09, 08:04 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

where are interior pics??
Old 10-20-09, 08:06 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You cannot do a direct conversion exchange
Of course, but you can be fairly certain that the car will cost more than the projected $350k USD. I can probably buy a Gallardo and have the twin-turbo upgrade done for that price.
Old 10-20-09, 08:11 PM
Appleman
Rookie

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

The finished product is a mixed bag. The interior is absolutely amazing but the exterior leaves me cold. The rear of the LFA II was vastly better looking so the production car is a let down in that regard. The front end just doesn't look that aggressive to me...the headlights are lacking whereas the LFA II was unique and had the signature LED "tears". A ferrari is sleek, a lambo is mean, and this LFA looks kind of "empty".
(
I completely agree. The taillights on the LFA II had the tear effect too and now that's gone. They really needed something to spruce up the headlights, these are plain and boring. I could understand them dropping these extra touches for a mass produced car, but this is not going to be one, so they should have left it the way the concept was.
Old 10-20-09, 08:12 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Anything more than the SLS AMG and/or F458 then Lexus dropped the ball on their first ever super car. $350k will be absurd for this car.
Old 10-20-09, 08:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Of course, but you can be fairly certain that the car will cost more than the projected $350k USD. I can probably buy a Gallardo and have the twin-turbo upgrade done for that price.
FWIW I have heard from a very, very reliable source that the actual US price will be closer to $400,000. For that money this car isn't remotely worth it...
Old 10-20-09, 08:13 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The unfortunate truth is that to really justify the price...
In this segment there is no such thing as "justifying the price". It's not even a matter of the target demographic having too much money; it's that this segment is always going to represent terrible $/unit performance compared to what else is out there.

The way some people talk about it, you'd think that every day a 430 Scuderia driver or a GT-R driver or a ZR1 driver goes out on the road, his goal is to road race every car he sees. Maybe there are some losers out there who are like that (actually, I did run into a C63 lamer who crossed three lanes and cut off a van to cut me off in my IS-F the other day). But for anyone who actually loves driving and the driving experience (and has a semblance of maturity, I suppose), that's just not what driving is about.

That's why value comparisons and what I call "spec drivers" - fanboys who admit they can't or won't ever buy a car but bash one or the other all day based on irrelevant statistics like 0-60, 1/4 mile, or even Nur lap times, always bother me. If all anyone cared about was big specs and low $, we'd all be driving motorcycles. There's a reason we aren't.
Old 10-20-09, 08:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by knihc2008
4.8-liter 72-degree V10 putting out 560 hp at 8,700 RPM (that's 116.5 hp/liter) and 354 lb.-ft. of torque at 6,800 RPM
Redline: 9,000 RPM
Titanium valves, connecting rods, forged aluminum pistons, dry sump lubrication and a titanium exhaust manifold
Six-speed sequential gearbox
Torsen limited slip differential
3,263 pounds with a 48/52 front-to-rear weight distribution
Power-to-weight ratio of 5.8 pounds/hp
65 percent of the body is carbon fiber
20-inch BBS wheels wrapped in 265/35 ZR20 Bridgestone tires in front and 305/30 ZR20 in the rear.
0-62 MPH (100 km/h) in 3.7 seconds
Top speed of 201.94 MPH
Production limited to 500 units

Specs bump!
Old 10-20-09, 08:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO, the headlights have lost the teardrop look, I liked the ones on the LFA Roadster best. However, what they have in their place is a Lamborgini-like trapezoid look.

Indeed, I think it will cost over $380K, but we will see. Still, a Gallardo is amazing, but one thing it isn't is completely new and different. Not taking anything away from it. The LFA is different...and sometimes that's what drives these collectors. Lexus thinks to the tune of 500 people on this Earth? Possible? I think so.

Frankly, a lot of these "I"d rather buy etc. etc." are definitely valid opinions, and IMO that has been factored into the 500 unit cap.

But I don't think this car needs to be that much smashing the heads of others, or priced at $150K. It is not going to do the LS bargain-base focus that Lexus started with. In this market, the LFA is so expensive to produce, it has a price to match. It's not trying to be the Lexus R8, although I think that would've been a great idea. But what's happened is that they have so refined and upped the ante on materials and spec that it results in a very rare and prohibitively expensive machine.

But this car truly is for those for whom money is no object.

Originally Posted by gengar
In this segment there is no such thing as "justifying the price". It's not even a matter of the target demographic having too much money; it's that this segment is always going to represent terrible $/unit performance compared to what else is out there.

The way some people talk about it, you'd think that every day a 430 Scuderia driver or a GT-R driver or a ZR1 driver goes out on the road, his goal is to road race every car he sees. Maybe there are some losers out there who are like that (actually, I did run into a C63 lamer who crossed three lanes and cut off a van to cut me off in my IS-F the other day). But for anyone who actually loves driving and the driving experience (and has a semblance of maturity, I suppose), that's just not what driving is about.

That's why value comparisons and what I call "spec drivers" - fanboys who admit they can't or won't ever buy a car but bash one or the other all day based on irrelevant statistics like 0-60, 1/4 mile, or even Nur lap times, always bother me. If all anyone cared about was big specs and low $, we'd all be driving motorcycles. There's a reason we aren't.
Exactly!
Old 10-20-09, 08:18 PM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

i see some supra lines from the side view of the car.. They are really hitting this one right on the head
Old 10-20-09, 08:18 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The other thing that I remain perplexed about is how this final shape came to be if the top speed is 202mph and the 0-60 is 3.7sec. Neither of those are particularly class leading numbers and word on the street was that the LFA II concept was scrapped because it wasn't aerodynamic enough and the performance numbers weren't up to par.

Here we have a car that is not as attractive as the LFA II and the performance numbers are not close to the rumored 218mph top speed or low 3 sec 0-60. Either that rumor was horse crap or the car was seriously, seriously slow and deficient before.

There are a lot of unanswered questions, IMO.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)