LFA Model (2012)

Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 09:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
I believe the Tokyo Auto Show is every other year. There will be no 2008 Tokyo Auto Show. There will be a 2009 Tokyo Auto Show...
I see.

Perhaps we'll be lucky enough to see it debut in the L.A. Auto Show '08...
Old 12-12-07, 11:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
No word, but my hypothesis = it will have it's debut in late '08 (perhaps the Tokyo Auto Show), for release in late '09 as a MY'10 model.

Now, what Lexus has to worry about is not how well the LF-A does now, but how the LF-A will compare to other cars by that year...
You're saying it might be still ANOTHER 2 YEARS from actually being available? This thread started almost a year ago.
Old 12-12-07, 11:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You're saying it might be still ANOTHER 2 YEARS from actually being available? This thread started almost a year ago.
Well Paul actually Lexus isn't doing that bad. They are almost ready for production with the LF-A and we've seen it.

With the GT-R, we saw 3 different versions before the concept and it debuted I believe back in 2001/2002.

With the Acura NSX replacement, well Acura showed the HSC concept back in 2002/2003 and now its front engined and a V-10 and reaction was so bad, they are back to the drawing board.

In the meantime, Lexus has a production IS-F out of nowhere (and in 2 years) and the LF-A which comes soon.

Old 12-13-07, 07:51 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

^^^ I agree with Mike.

The LF-A concept has been out for about three years now, and this is out of Toyota's league. The LF-A to start from concept to production in 5 years (and especially with Toyota that has never ever done anything this spectacular) is actually pretty quick.

However, the LF-A will be outdated rather quickly compared to other race-worthy production cars (specifically Aston, Ferrari, and even the Corvette).

It's still not a bad first-attempt by Lexus. I can't wait to see the future generations of this monster...
Old 12-13-07, 09:18 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's still not a bad first-attempt by Lexus. I can't wait to see the future generations of this monster...
+1 Gotta start somewhere.
Old 12-13-07, 09:20 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
The M5 is a 4,000lbs pig so the low torque can hurt. The LF-A on the other hand is targeting 3,000lbs so it may get away with less torque.
Riiight... makes sense. Plus the 8-spd can help with that right? Have a lower gear ratio for the first and maybe second gear to get things going?
Old 12-13-07, 09:34 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are quick to dismiss Lexus
I guess there's a lot of ego involved here but still. You all need to relax.

It takes TIME to build a car.

Especially one that is either all new, by a mfr that's inexperienced in the market, or going up against the world's best sports cars. This is all three.

Let Lexus build it and get it right. They're not in danger of being outdated by the time they come to market.
Old 12-13-07, 09:45 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
Let Lexus build it and get it right. They're not in danger of being outdated by the time they come to market.
I shouldn't have used the word "outdated."

Unfortunately, cars of such caliber thrive on pure number-wars (horsepower, 0-60 times, curb weight, price, etc). The LF-A is great, but will never be put on a pedestal as a competitive icon, but rather as an individual icon for Toyota (similar to how the NSX did in the past for Honda).

The LF-A will be an awesome car. In time (in fact, by the time it is release), there will be something better on the road. Anti-Lexus/Toyota Fan-boi-freaks that will never own one (much less touch one) will surely have a field day on flaming it when something cheaper and better comes along.
Old 12-13-07, 10:06 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

I don't think the buyers of Aston Martin DBSs, Scuderias, etc are hanging on the last second of a Ring lap time. Likewise I really don't think it's necessary for Lexus to chase that down.

I shouldn't have used the word "outdated."

Unfortunately, cars of such caliber thrive on pure number-wars (horsepower, 0-60 times, curb weight, price, etc). The LF-A is great, but will never be put on a pedestal as a competitive icon, but rather as an individual icon for Toyota (similar to how the NSX did in the past for Honda).

The LF-A will be an awesome car. In time (in fact, by the time it is release), there will be something better on the road. Anti-Lexus/Toyota Fan-boi-freaks that will never own one (much less touch one) will surely have a field day on flaming it when something cheaper and better comes along.
Old 12-13-07, 10:51 AM
LexFather

I don't think the buyers of Aston Martin DBSs, Scuderias, etc are hanging on the last second of a Ring lap time. Likewise I really don't think it's necessary for Lexus to chase that down.
It makes headlines. Its just another way for car makers to brag. I've stated in other threads the "Ring" *****ing it kind of out of control. People know no history of it (hell probably don't even know what country its in, lol) but just care about that 7:49 or so time, lol...

I'll never forget seeing pics of the 3GS on the ring, clearly taken by Lexus. At first I was intrigued but then I realized its whats WRONG with the ring.

Old 12-13-07, 12:11 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

You guys are quick to dismiss Lexus
I guess there's a lot of ego involved here but still. You all need to relax.

It takes TIME to build a car.
And really, the fact that they've been developing the car for so long and testing it for so long, including extensively on the Nur, makes it more attractive to me as a prospective buyer.
Old 12-13-07, 12:13 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

yes but sadly everything is tested on the ring these days. it wont be long before you see a yaris on the ring. and not any kind of sport yaris. the plane jane base car.
Old 12-13-07, 04:17 PM
f.azim@gul
Driver School Candidate

That is true, but Aston Martin and Ferrari don't have to worry about the 'Ring times. A Ferrari F430 standing still has more going for it than a GT-R doing a 7:xx or any other car for that matter.

Japanese cars, no matter how good, do not have the prestige of the European marques and the only thing they have to hang their hats on is their performance, their reliability and their value.

When Toyota builds a Luxury sedan, it better have the Luxury and the reliability and the value built into it. Mercedes has been selling their unreliable sedans for years. If Lexus quality were to go down even 25% from where it is now, it would be their demise. They have built their reputation on quality.

So if Toyota or Honda or Nissan build a world class "sports car" it better have the performance numbers to show for it because it will not get any respect any other way. It is not fair but that is the way it is.
Old 12-13-07, 08:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well Paul actually Lexus isn't doing that bad. They are almost ready for production with the LF-A and we've seen it.
How can it be 'almost ready' if it's not going to be available for 2 more years?

With the GT-R, we saw 3 different versions before the concept and it debuted I believe back in 2001/2002.
True, but I thought it was verboten to compare the LF-A with anything Nissan does.

If Lexus is to go head to head with Ferrari, maybe Bentley, Aston Martin, etc., I think they needed (too late now) a BIT of an element of surprise in the launch, maybe concept to launch in a year or so. But perhaps Lexus needed to show the concept to get early feedback to see if they're going in the right direction before spending more untold millions on R&D, but they could have also done it through private focus groups.

I've no doubt the car will be incredible but I guess I just wonder if the car will be 'old news' by the time it's finally released.
Old 12-14-07, 06:27 AM
f.azim@gul
Driver School Candidate

How can it be 'almost ready' if it's not going to be available for 2 more years?

I've no doubt the car will be incredible but I guess I just wonder if the car will be 'old news' by the time it's finally released.
I agree. In fact it already seems to be old news. Almost every week we hear of new versions of Aston, Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo that can be bought NOW but all we ever hear about the LF-A is that it is IN DEVELOPMENT and will be available in the future sometime......

Toyota is trying to hit a moving target [Lambo, Aston etc.] perfectly and that is not possible. They need to come out with the car and THEN continue to improve upon it as the other marques do.

Quick Reply: Official LF-A(II) thread (Will debut at Tokyo Auto Show, Lexus details Oct 20th, 8pm)