Notices
Lexus Customer Service (archive) The Lexus Customer Service forum on Club Lexus has been inactivated at this time, but past posts will be left as a visible archive forum for a period of time.

Self Restoring Coat "Paint"

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 07:13 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Self Restoring Coat "Paint"

I called Lexus on this and they seem to have no idea so maybe I will get a better answer here. I ordered a RCF and wanted to know if you can polish / clay bar / wax the paint? I know at the auto show you had a blue RCF and it was polished and waxed just wanted to see how you care for this paint.

■ Self-restoring coat*
The vehicle body has a self-restoring coating that is resistant to small surface scratches
caused in a car wash etc.
● The coating lasts for 5 to 8 years from when the vehicle is delivered from the plant.
● The restoration time differs depending on the depth of the scratch and outside temperature.
The restoration time may become shorter when the coating is warmed by applying
warm water.
● Deep scratches caused by keys, coins, etc. cannot be restored.
● Do not use wax that contains abrasives.
*: CFRP parts (if equipped) do not have a self-restoring coat

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_07-01.pdf
Old 03-05-15, 11:14 AM
LexCareSP
Lexus Customer Service

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Ryanmcd, great question! We do not recommend polishing or waxing your vehicle within the first month of ownership to allow the paint to fully cure. The Self Restoring Paint is only used on certain colors like the Obsidian or Nebula Grey as they are more prone to show scratches. If you order a color that is equipped with the Self Restoring Paint you can wax or polish it gradually. Remember the vehicles used at auto shows are not intended for long time use so we do things to those cars that may differ from normal operation. We hope this helps. Congrats on the RCF! We look forward to seeing pictures when you take delivery.
Old 03-05-15, 11:42 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexCareSP
Hello Ryanmcd, great question! We do not recommend polishing or waxing your vehicle within the first month of ownership to allow the paint to fully cure. The Self Restoring Paint is only used on certain colors like the Obsidian or Nebula Grey as they are more prone to show scratches. If you order a color that is equipped with the Self Restoring Paint you can wax or polish it gradually. Remember the vehicles used at auto shows are not intended for long time use so we do things to those cars that may differ from normal operation. We hope this helps. Congrats on the RCF! We look forward to seeing pictures when you take delivery.
I have the Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 so does that car have the self restoring paint? The manual does not address what color is/is not used.

Also it's great to have you guys answer questions! and thanks
Old 03-05-15, 12:06 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would also like to ask how thick in term of microns is the "self restoring" coating? If someone was to do a light to medium polish to remove some random scratches, will that remove that "self restoring" property in that polished area?

The answers to these questions are a great concerns to detailers. Thanks.
Old 03-05-15, 02:11 PM
Flilady
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For example, could Cquartz finest be applied to the USB for protection?
Old 03-05-15, 03:26 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Self Restoring Paint is only used on certain colors like the Obsidian or Nebula Grey.
1. Is your Infared paint on the RC-F that I ordered Self Restoring Paint? AndyL implies: YES.
2. If yes, when can one apply XPEL film to protect the front from rock chips? AndyL implies: asap after delivered.
3. Since the car will be on a ship for a month (special order with CF TVD) isn't that enough time for the paint to cure? AndyL says: YES.

Thanks
Rick

Last edited by rjmalm; 03-07-15 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Answers based on AndyL added
Old 03-05-15, 05:01 PM
followtheF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Nebula Gray and the dealer offered the eckbond protection package on day of purchase. Is this a product that should not have been applied since the NG paint already has self restoring paint?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-15, 07:46 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No offence but i believe there is some misinformation here.

Paint is already fully cured for any car before the car gets out of factory. Ask any car detailing shops and body shops and they will tell you the same thing. Otherwise, it will be a huge problem for many detailing shops -- new car prep is a common service from respectful detailing shops. And FYI, Lexus dealerships in Japan has a dealer option listed called body coat for new Lexus vehicle delivery.

Same as many dealerships in North America which offer various sealant or coating packages.

http://lexus.jp/models/rcf/specifica...are/index.html

Last edited by AndyL; 03-06-15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-06-15, 08:10 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I would also like to ask how thick in term of microns is the "self restoring" coating? If someone was to do a light to medium polish to remove some random scratches, will that remove that "self restoring" property in that polished area?

The answers to these questions are a great concerns to detailers. Thanks.
Self-restoring clear coat has been available to Lexus since 2009 but it was limited to LS. Self-restoring clear coat is just a top layer which is elastic but it has a lifespan as described in the other post.

Some background info --

http://paultan.org/2009/10/02/lexus-...#ixzz0SjlHWJU0

And there is another article from Toyota.jp which talks about their restoring coat. (sorry it is in Japanese)

http://www.toyota.co.jp/jpn/company/...ls_window.html

And to speed up the self-restoring, heat is required. If you pour hot water of 80C, you will speed up the healing process as described in this article (sorry in Japanese)

http://sun-detailing.com/?m=20140305

Also note self-restoring paint applies to all colors of RC, RC F, NX, IS, GS and LS in some countries such as Japan.
Old 03-07-15, 06:11 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Self-restoring clear coat has been available to Lexus since 2009 but it was limited to LS.
Also note self-restoring paint applies to all colors of RC, RC F, NX, IS, GS and LS in some countries such as Japan.
Thanks for the post with links Andy. Wish I could read the ones in Japanese.
You said SOME COUNTRIES. So are all the RC-Fs for the USA self-restoring coated?
Old 03-07-15, 06:19 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Thanks for the post with links Andy. Wish I could read the ones in Japanese.
You said SOME COUNTRIES. So are all the RC-Fs for the USA self-restoring coated?
It looks like only certain colours of RC-Fs in USA have self-restoring coat. according to LexCareSP which should be most accurate.

Some countries refer of Japan, UK, Hong Kong, etc. But I don't check the info for RC-F. Probably it applies. But I am sure It applies to IS.
Old 03-07-15, 07:14 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

I hope they follow up on this because you can't just not wax or polish the car.
Old 03-07-15, 07:16 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well the self restoring clear coat must be crap because my GS is already scratched to ****. Looks like I drove down a thorny bush.
Old 03-07-15, 11:13 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sick21
Well the self restoring clear coat must be crap because my GS is already scratched to ****. Looks like I drove down a thorny bush.
I think I may just polish it off at the start to seal the paint, It must be good stuff if Lexus does not even know about it and it's only on a few colors. My worry is people that are going to put a seal on the car off the bat, that may cause issues down the road.
Old 03-07-15, 05:23 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
I think I may just polish it off at the start to seal the paint, It must be good stuff if Lexus does not even know about it and it's only on a few colors. My worry is people that are going to put a seal on the car off the bat, that may cause issues down the road.
If I were you, I would also polish it off at the start as a preparation step for any good car coating because self-restoring coat is still a clear coat subject to environmental harshness such as UV, tree sap, etc. Better seal it when the car is brand new.

And any car coating won't look good unless it is followed by paint correction. In most cases, a new car condition requires no heavy polish. Maybe some RIDS (random isolated deep scratches) and that is it. So you may use very mild polish for final finishing/jewelling prior to coating. It probably shaves off 0.5-1 micron of clear coat which won't hurt the self-restoring coat.

My logic is -- Lexus body coat (it is silica-based coating,according to Japanese brochure or lexus.jp )is published on Lexus.jp as a dealer option and it is done prior to new car delivery. Minimum polishing must be done prior to coating. And it costs much than DIY coatings.

Quick Reply: Self Restoring Coat "Paint"