Sponsored by:

95 SC300 CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 10:21 PM
olegmalkin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 SC300 CD Changer

OK, so after spending 2 hours reading about our crappy CD-changers and understand that there is no adaptor for an aftermarket CD-changer for 95 SC and that I could get a 92-96 ES changer and it and it should fit. NOw, Does it matter if I have a nackamichi or not? I don't, so will I need the adaptor that lexusaudio makes and it should be able to switch out?
Old 10-20-03, 06:10 AM
mynoles1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 95, you will not need an adapter. It also does not matter if Nak or not. Same changer. I just put a 96 ES300 in my 95 SC400 last weekend, and as advertised, it works GREAT. The install was odd, and it does stick out a couple inches, but works great.

I don't have a camera to take pics of the install with, but obviously after you put the ES changer in, you will have a sizeable gap next to it. I custom built a wood "tray" that I mounted directly next to the changer that I painted black and lined with felt. It is very small (3-1/2 x 7 or so), but fills up the gap nicely, fits tightly under the existing trunk panels and is the same height as the changer so it doesn't look too badly out of place. I had tried many other means of installation, but without designing a special bracket to mount vertically, I did the best I could. It is very solid, looks OK and sounds great.

Let me know if you have any further questions on this.
Old 10-20-03, 12:53 PM
Hi-psi
Driver

What makes the ES CD changer more desireable?
Old 10-20-03, 01:12 PM
mynoles1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very simple. NO SKIP!

The original SC 12-disc changers had 1st generation logic and capabilities. No improvement had been made for an anti-skip mechanism, or at least one that worked. My 96 ES changer is 3rd generation, I believe, and had numerous improvements. In the majority of original SC changers, one couldn't drive over a bump, RR track or other road problem without your CD skipping wildly. Since my install, I have experienced ZERO skips, and I drive in less than optimal conditions on a regular basis.

Plus, with the 92-96 ES changer, they are plug and play ready with the existing wire harness, and your head unit reads and controls the changer perfectly. So, all display and function buttons work as designed, as if this was the original changer. For those of us desiring to use the stock head unit, this is the ultimate fix to the changer nightmares that most have experienced.
Old 10-20-03, 08:57 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

right on mynioles. i am glad you like the pioneer 2nd generation es300 changer. your conversion sounds nice. the es300 cd changer was a very good design and a version of it is still in 7 series in upright instalation. the es300 changer however does not have the upright springs in the shock system so cannot be installed standing up along the side of the trunk wall like bmw. i have a english made horizontal slide out cd changer bracket similar to range rover used whan they used that series pioneer changer that would work nicely. as you slid out changer the flip down door would clear the wall it is mounted up against and then the magazine could be removed and slid back and locked in position. i have pictuers of the bracket and a es300 changer mounted on top of the sc amp bracket. email me at emancy@woh.rr.com and i will send you a picture of it. it wouldnt be sticking out in the trunk with this bracket.
Old 10-21-03, 02:57 PM
Hi-psi
Driver

Never had mine skip in my '95 so I was just wondering....