Sponsored by:

99GS audio remote ques.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 12:26 PM
maxi-milli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99GS audio remote ques.

Whats up yall, I have just installed my Alpine head/ Tv, and I am not getting a signal to the trunk. The first problem I had was that the scoche wire harness I purchased fit but the wire colors didn't match.
I had to pull the pins out and swop them around to get the headunit to power on. I am only using the harness for power , ground, and remote/ antenna. I just need to know what color is the GS400's remote wire. I just can't seem to figure it out. I looked at the wire diagram that is on Bananas's DIY, but no sig.
On the diagram there are three different antenna wires going into the factory head unit, is it one of these?
Thank you.
Old 09-10-03, 03:05 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

no remote turn on wire dude, you need to get a signal sense unit which sense the audio signal and turn on the equipement for ya, this unit should cost around $20 (i got one brand new for sale if you want)
else, just open the headunit out, tape into the backlight of the radio, that is your turn on source ;-)
Old 09-10-03, 03:28 PM
maxi-milli
Rookie

Default re

Banana You are the man! But tell me, The Alpine T.V./ head unit has a ( blue)remote wire . Are you saying that the car it self doesn't have a power antenna Positive lead that can be used. that is strange. Sorry for the stupid question, I thought this would be a easy install. How is everyone else getting power to there amps. If no other way, I am interested in this signal sense unit, because I am not openning up my new Alpine Headunit. The only problem is I would need you to tell how to hook this up, and I need it as fast as possible (I live in NYC). Email me a contact phone number. Anyone else had to do this on the install thanks
Old 09-10-03, 06:57 PM
maxi-milli
Rookie

Default LVT

Is this audio signal trigger a special order or can you get this at any local stereo shop. BananaGS what color wire did you hook up the low voltage trigger input (green) to in your car. More info please. The car is in pieces.
Old 09-12-03, 01:50 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have the Pioneer or Nakamichi system?
I don't have the schematics handy, but the Nak system definitely has a remote turn-on line, and I'd be surprised if the Pioneer didn't have one, but I don't immediately see one on Banana's schematic.
You can take one of the power antenna signals, however, and use it to drive the remotes thru a relay. The power antenna signal would turn on the relay. The other side of the relay is wired to the voltage needed for amp turn-on. Another (not as good) way to do it is to use a resistive voltage divider to get the voltage you need from the power antenna voltage, if that voltage is too high.
Old 09-12-03, 03:05 PM
maxi-milli
Rookie

Default re

I have the pioneer stock setup. Is the diagram from Bananas page for Pioneer or Nak. Ive been having some problems matching wires colors. Right now I have been emailing (Harassing) Banana for help.
I go my amps to turn on and off, But now I have a nasty hhhhhhuuuummmm. The stranges thing is that it does it when the car is on or off. SO it can't be a ground noise or maybe I'm wrong. Very annoying noise. I did like Bannana told me to and bought a audio signal trigger, hooked it up and got the hummmmmm. I thought it was the the trigger so I disconnected it and the hummmm was still there. I 'm thinking, maybe the factory amp needs to be complety disconnected because it is sending a signal that is casing the hummmmmm. Or maybe the three antenna wires need to used differently. I'm now trying to tap the speaker wires before they get into the factory amp, and run the speaker wire into my Kenwood amp. Any one know the colors at the door they were one color do they change before getting to the amp. If I can get rid of the HHHHUUUMMM and find which speaker is for which, I am home free. The good think is I turned the bass on (eclipse woofers and Amp) and dam they sound better in the GS than they did in my 97 maxima. I can't wait. I wants to say Thanks to Banana and all other that gave info to get me to this point. counldn't have done it with out yall. If your ever in NYC holla.
Old 09-13-03, 07:13 AM
whatuusay1
Driver

Talking I'm doing the same thing!!!!

Hey guys - Just got my new Clarion LCD/DVD unit yesterday (friday) and of course had to have it in that night..... was up till 3:30am working on it gotta love highwattage shop llights .... I have the 99GS400 with NAK.... and i used the diagram from BananaGS - Everything is going ok.... I have mounted the amp / input box under the passanger seat and i am sending the RCA pre-outs to the factory NAK amp in the trunk -heh everyone told me this wont work.... tisk tisk - workin fine. I put below how i did it - I will post pics latter of everything.

(Batt+) located it in the factory harness with a test light, but i ran a 10g fused line to the battery since the factory wire was like 20g .... no need to short out any wiring.
(Acc+ head unit) located it in the factory harness with a test light.
(Acc+ NAK amp) The amp turn on was somewhat hard to find - It is a very low amp 12vt signal from the factory headunit, It wouldnt even light up the test light, however it tested positive for 12v with the vt meter. It was actually making a poping noise when i touched it with the test light - I cant remember off hand what the wire color was - And i am at work at the moment (yes saturday.... super sux). I will add that in when i have it back apart to take pics.

(Ground -) Made a new ground using the harness that came with my unit.

Now comes the fun part The front and rear speakers are all on the diagram i got from BanannaGS, they are split between the 2 white harnesses - they matched up with the colors on the diagram too

(FL+) = B
(FL-) = W
(RL+) = R
(RL-) = G
(FR+) = P
(FR-) = O
(RR+) = LG
(RR-) = V

Now I descided to use the NAK amp to power the factory speakers - I will likely replace the speakers and amp latter but till i can afford a new amp and speakes this will have to do.

I an sending the NAK amp signal through the factory wiring - I made some adapters to convert the RCA outputs from the Clarion HU (Front / Rear) basically chopping up some RCA cables to get the + and - so i could tap into the wires listed above. Everything works great - The speakers are powered loud and clear - the factory sub is workin like normal too. Hopefully this will help a little. I'll be posting Some pics latter - Feel free to ask questions / comments.

~Andrew

Last edited by whatuusay1; 09-13-03 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-17-03, 08:46 AM
maxi-milli
Rookie

Default Re

What's up yall, I gave The Car a break and came back to it yesterday to finish the install. I put 5 1/4
MB quarts in th front. I did some cuting on the plastic speaker housing. The Rear housing looked small and I didn't want to make a wood template, so I said to hell with it and left the the stock in until I return the other set of MB 5 1/4 for 4inch ones. I turned the system on and I was blown away. The Bass is clean and the highs and mids sound crisp. Most of my old systems, the Bass dominated, Put in this one I think the interior speakers got it. I have a Kicker free air woofer that I didn't install. Do you guys think that I should remove the stock 10 inch and use the hole for a port for the 2 tens in the trunk. Or through the kicker in.
The bass sound like it needs a release. So the audio is almost done now I have to move to the video.
Where can I put the PS2. It won't fit under the seat, or the glove box. Thanks again Banana, The Lex is beating.
Old 09-17-03, 10:42 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

The stock woofer sucks. Replacement with ANYTHING is recommended. I'd go with the two 10"s in the trunk and open up the hole....
Old 09-18-03, 08:17 AM
maxi-milli
Rookie

Default re

Thanks Bro, Do you get a lot of vibration with an aftermarket sub in the deck. I had to stuff a rag behind my license plate. Way to noisy.

Last edited by maxi-milli; 09-18-03 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-18-03, 09:07 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Most of my remaining vibration is coming from the GS spoiler. I've taken measures to eliminate or reduce vibrations in most other places. You can Dynamat Extreme the back of your license plate, it will help with the vibration - there's a kit they sell for about $10-12. And you can also put some dense foam behind it to dampen the vibrations. Should work better than a rag...
Old 05-01-06, 08:35 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 225 Likes on 125 Posts

Resurecting this thread from the dead.

I looked at the wiring diagram for replacing the HU and still have a few questions for the audio gurus. Is this the correct diagram http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/GS_DIY/stereo/ ?

Is there an even more simplified version of that wiring diagram? I want to replace my NAK HU with a Navigation system (Pioneer AVIC-D1) and was wondering what (if any) I need to buy in terms of a wiring harness or (anything else) such to connect the nav to the existing amp in the trunk.

In short I need some help making this DIY task as simple as possible so that even a simpleton like myself can do this at home.

I know that I have to hookup the speed sensor to the appropriate wire in the car and I noticed another DIY on banana's website that identifies that cable behind the instrument cluster - so I think I can get to that one.