Cannot get GROM AUX1 unit to work

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 01:14 PM
OlyOop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot get GROM AUX1 unit to work

Hello:

I recently purchased a 2006 LX470 featuring a Mark Levinson sound system and the center-console mounted CD changer. In order to stream podcasts from my Android phone, I purchased and installed a GROM Aux1 unit, which I've had good luck with in other cars. For the Toyota/Lexus wiring harness, the GROM comes with a y-shaped harness: one end to the Grom, one into the back of the dash-mounted stereo, and one into the line that goes to the CD changer.

The Grom will work correctly in the initial power-up phase, playing content from my phone. However, when I close up the dash again (and, more significantly I think, turn the car off and back on), it fails to work. I don't think something is becoming disconnected or pinched when I reassemble the dash, because I've done this five or six times now and am pretty sure everything is running unencumbered.

I've tried three configurations, because the directions (and Grom's tech support) are a little ambiguous. If I hook up all ends of the harness, the stereo displays a message that says, 'No disk'. If I leave the line to the CD changer unplugged, or if (based on their tech support's guidance) I leave the Grom harness plugged in but disconnect the line to the CD changer at the changer, the stereo displays a message that says something like 'changer not found'.

The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is to disconnect the battery so that the radio resets, but I'm not sure that that would help. And as I'm reading this, I realize that perhaps I should have tried everything connected and having a disk in the changer.

Can anyone provide suggestions?

Thank you!

Kris Hicks-Green
Olympia WA USA
2006 LX470