Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

FAQs on stereo upgrades for Lexus - help needed-DIY included

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 11:28 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To install aftermarket speakers/amp, is the JL Cleansweep needed? Also, is the JL CL-SSI summoning interface needed as well?

Thanks.
Old 01-28-11, 03:39 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had the factory radio installed, I just used a cheap line-level converter. I think it was like 15 bucks at Best Buy.
Old 06-02-11, 12:40 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Originally Posted by rscott
*installing from sc300 nakamichi setup*

First off, DO NOT buy the scosche/metra toyota harness. It may work for the speakers, but it does not have any of the power wires on it. Because Im amping all my speakers, I decided to forego effort of figuring out which harness wire goes to what speaker. In either case, here are the wire colors for everything youll need to wire in a unit.

When you remove the stock headunit, four plugs will come out. You will only need the leftmost one. It is the one with the most but smallest terminals.
I used some quick splices to tap into the wires

Constant 12V (+) - Blue/Yellow
Ignition Switched 12V (+) - Grey
Antenna - Pink/Blue AND Pink/Green
ILL 12V (+) - Green
Ground ( - ) - Simply crimp on a ring connector to the stereo harness and ground under the bolt to the body directly under the stereo - no need to tap that.

All these will be found on the left side of the leftmost plug. For the antenna, tap into both wires and connect the two, then connect that to the lead from the stereo harness. If your stereo harness does not have a lead like mine did, you have two options. You can connect it to your remote turn on for the amps but it will always be up when your headunit is powered on. Or you can do as I did and run it through a switch then to the cigarette lighter power. This way, its only up when you want it to be up.

Finally remembered to finish my post. Sorry for the delay guys.
I got that harness you said not too get. And i do not seem to get any power... Like you had said. Now i was about to do what you had explained in your post but i do not quite understand what you mean by slicing to tab. You want me to cut those wires behind the plug and wire nut the couple into my unit?
Old 06-02-11, 12:48 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1uzfe4147
I got that harness you said not too get. And i do not seem to get any power... Like you had said. Now i was about to do what you had explained in your post but i do not quite understand what you mean by slicing to tab. You want me to cut those wires behind the plug and wire nut the couple into my unit?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "slicing to tab", but no you don't need to cut any wires. Get some t-connectors from Radio Shack, Advanced, Auto Zone, or any local electronics store and use those to make the connections.

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 06-02-11 at 12:49 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 06-02-11, 01:49 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Originally Posted by rscott
*installing from sc300 nakamichi setup*

First off, DO NOT buy the scosche/metra toyota harness. It may work for the speakers, but it does not have any of the power wires on it. Because Im amping all my speakers, I decided to forego effort of figuring out which harness wire goes to what speaker. In either case, here are the wire colors for everything youll need to wire in a unit.

When you remove the stock headunit, four plugs will come out. You will only need the leftmost one. It is the one with the most but smallest terminals.
I used some quick splices to tap into the wires

Constant 12V (+) - Blue/Yellow
Ignition Switched 12V (+) - Grey
Antenna - Pink/Blue AND Pink/Green
ILL 12V (+) - Green
Ground ( - ) - Simply crimp on a ring connector to the stereo harness and ground under the bolt to the body directly under the stereo - no need to tap that.

All these will be found on the left side of the leftmost plug. For the antenna, tap into both wires and connect the two, then connect that to the lead from the stereo harness. If your stereo harness does not have a lead like mine did, you have two options. You can connect it to your remote turn on for the amps but it will always be up when your headunit is powered on. Or you can do as I did and run it through a switch then to the cigarette lighter power. This way, its only up when you want it to be up.

Finally remembered to finish my post. Sorry for the delay guys.
What is ILL 12v? And what will it plug into? And if i dont have the stock amp plugged in ( 92 sc400 ) do i have to somehow bypass it?
Old 06-02-11, 02:35 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

What is ILL 12v? And what will it plug into? And if i dont have the stock amp plugged in ( 92 sc400 ) do i have to somehow bypass it?
"Illumination" (or Dimmer) I think; it has nothing to do with the amps... it's been a long time. Maybe someone else can tell you for sure.
Old 06-02-11, 02:43 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Ah i was thinkin that about the ILL. And i got power and ran separate speaker wires and it sounds good. But if i try too connect into the stock harness for the speakers i get nothing. Same with the ANT. I cannot get signal for the radio.
Old 06-02-11, 04:31 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like you've got the wrong wires hooked up to/for the speakers. For the antenna I THINK you need to get an adapter (Best Buy has them) for the antenna wire to get reception; not having the antenna up shouldn't make THAT much difference, I wouldn't think. I never got one and have the same problem of not getting radio stations clearly. But that's all that "ANT" wire does, give the antenna the signal to go up or down.
Old 06-02-11, 07:43 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Oh well i have the adapter kit from best buy already and had them all setup too the proper wire color codes. That is why i am trying too figure out if i need too bypass the amp in order for that wiring harness too work properly because my stock amp fried out and is gone. So the harness in my trunk has nothing connected. And before when my stock stereo was working the radio tuner was working fine, perfect signal. And i never had a antenna even when i got the car last year, it was broke off. I am thinking about just completely bypassing all of the wiring harness thats in the console with the exception of the main power wires that power the HU. I know almost nothing about this so take in effect i'm a complete noob. Thanks for the assistance so far.
Old 06-03-11, 12:47 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Oh well i have the adapter kit from best buy already and had them all setup too the proper wire color codes. That is why i am trying too figure out if i need too bypass the amp in order for that wiring harness too work properly because my stock amp fried out and is gone. So the harness in my trunk has nothing connected. And before when my stock stereo was working the radio tuner was working fine, perfect signal. And i never had a antenna even when i got the car last year, it was broke off. I am thinking about just completely bypassing all of the wiring harness thats in the console with the exception of the main power wires that power the HU. I know almost nothing about this so take in effect i'm a complete noob. Thanks for the assistance so far.
Oooooohhh... ok. So wait, you're not using the factory amps, you've got other aftermarket ones installed? I that case you don't even need to worry about the wires in the car's harness for the speakers, just run RCAs from your headunit to the new amp(s) for the signal. (EDIT: I just re-read this. You'll need to either run new wires to each speaker OR find the wire in plug going to the speakers from the amps and use those. But as far as the plug in the dash, you won't need to worry about the speaker wire coming from the headunit/radio). As for the antenna, I wasn't very clear, sorry. The adapter I'm talking about is for the thick, single wire and "plug" that is used for reception, NOT the one for raising/lowering the power antenna. Does that make sense? It's kind of hard to explain without pics...

The plug/wire I'm talking about should look like this (you'll only see the end on the right of the pic):

The easiest thing to do would be to go to Best Buy or somewhere and ask them exactly what you need.
*If I'm not making sense, PM me. I'm not sure how clear I'm being and don't wanna hijack this thread anymore.

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 06-03-11 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Oops.........
Old 06-22-11, 05:21 PM
Rompvettes
Rookie

Default Help with aftermarket radio swap in my 03 GS

Alright guys, I have purchased a Clarion NX501 double din DVD/Nav unit and ordered the Metra dash kit. There seems to be no wiring harness for the install though. My car is an 03 GS without Nav. Surely there's a harness for it so I won't have to hardwire it? All I want to do is put a nice DVD/Nav unit in my car and still be able to use my factory speakers including the rear deck sub. Any answers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 07-07-11, 12:43 AM
SCAbraham
Driver School Candidate

Default Nakamichi Amp has fizzed out in my SC400

I've been calling junk yards around LA and haven't had luck finding a replacement factory Nakamichi Amp for you SC400.

If anyone knows of one, or a place to order, please let me know.

Thank much.
Old 10-21-11, 10:16 PM
morfhious3
Rookie

i have the 08 is250.and wondering if i could just replace the 3 way speakers on the front with my jl zr 650 2way comp speakers?is the stock amp sufficient enough to power this up?and if i replace them can i leave i think the 4"speaker still wired and still play with my jl comp speakers?thanks in advance already.
Old 12-01-11, 08:33 AM
jdgandorf
Driver School Candidate

The factory ML amp in my 2006 IS350 stoped working properly. I get no sound at all except for a loud noise every 5-10 seconds. I am a true DIY individual, but I am not sure where to start on fixing the amp. Any tips would be appreciated!
Old 02-27-13, 12:27 PM
1SXYIS808
Driver School Candidate

I just got a 2013 IS 250. Is it possible to install aftermarket dvd/navi player. I have stock radio system. Lmk thanks

Quick Reply: FAQs on stereo upgrades for Lexus - help needed-DIY included