Sponsored by:

2015 RX350 ticking sound in speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 07:12 AM
Phoenix102
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RX350 ticking sound in speakers

Hi All, my 2015 RX-350 with 36K miles has a standard audio/nav system, no modifications.

The other day I started down the road and noticed a random ticking noise coming from the speakers. I changed from Satellite to FM radio thinking Sirius was having troubles but the ticking sound continued. I switched to my USB media thinking I might have trouble with the tuner section of the radio but the problem was still there. When on USB I noticed if the ticking happened in succession the audio would drop out and at the top of the display it would show paused for a second then start playing again. To see if the sound was being generated by the sound system I turned the volume to 00 but still heard random ticking out of the speakers on all sources.

When I received a phone call I had the same issue, random ticking and if it did it several times in a row the audio would drop for a second or two. I disabled my phone Bluetooth just in case it was doing something and nothing changed.

I'm starting to feel the issue is happening when I drive over a bump in the road and it seems like it might be a power issue.

Has anyone experienced such an issue? Does anyone have any additional troubleshooting ideas to identify the problem? I've had the RX-350 for 6K miles and I'm still trying to find my way around the technical of the car. I don't want to take it to the local dealer if it is something I can find and fix or at least find and tell the dealer look here, this is bad.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
-Jeff
Old 05-02-18, 02:15 PM
Denvergal
Driver School Candidate

Jeff,
I had ticking when I bought my 2005 es330, then my audio stopped all together. I researched here and more often than not, it turned out for others that it's the AMP for the speakers, or could be a fuse. I am checking my fuses today otherwise I'll be needing to replace the AMP which is costly through repair shop, dealer over $1,000. Or you can change it yourself but be ready to pull out lots of side walls. I am sure someone will correct me but this is close and might give you a starting point.
Hope it goes well for you,
Lynn
Old 05-02-18, 05:16 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Is the sound engine speed related? Set it up again at volume "0" and while you are hearing the
ticking sound gently raise the RPM level. Does the sound increase in frequency at the higher
RPM? This would be classic ignition interference caused by a spark plug wire sparking. This
condition would most likely also trigger the Check Engine Light but not always. Another engine
speed related source might be the alternator. Also seems unlikely on a 36k mile Lexus, might
you have driven through a significant depth of water and splashed up under the hood?
Old 05-06-18, 10:58 AM
Phoenix102
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your input!

Lynn, great idea. The sound happens even if the volume is at "0". All of the speakers cut out. It's starting to become more frequent. There is no change at speed, only bumps. I'll look at the amp/power and see what I can find.
Old 05-09-18, 03:32 PM
Phoenix102
Driver School Candidate

So, I found the amp and played around with it, no change. Next I pulled the dash and removed the head unit, this is where the problem is. As I move the head unit around or the wiring harness the audio goes in and out. I pushed the connectors and wiring to make sure they're not loose and all of the connectors are fully inserted into the case. I checked for cut or pinched wires and found none. I guess my only option is to make the dealership fix it but I'm sure that'll be a big invoice.

I noticed when removed the 4 bolts that one of them was already out(missing). This must have happened in the past if the bolt was not put back.