Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Popping Noises Coming From Dynaudio Speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-03, 09:31 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping Noises Coming From Dynaudio Speaker?

Hey guys, maybe some of you can help me with a little problem that I am experiencing.

So far, I have my dyn's for about 2 months and it sounds great except for one thing. I have around 50 hours of playing time already for the dyn's. The other day, I wanted to test out the dyn's to see how well it played at louder levels, since in the past I have heard other brands play pretty good at LOUD levels without any distortion. I forgot which brand of speakers that I heard but I know for sure it wasn't as high-end like the dyn's.

I have the IVA-C800 as my headunit, and I turned the volume to around 18-20 on the ****. Then on my left driver side door, I heard a "popping" noise come from it, it sounded like distortion (but what do I know?). To me it sounded like the dyn's couldn't handle that volume, even though I have 2 JL audio 300/2 amps powering them at 150 x 2 ?? I find it hard to believe that the dyn's can't handle that level of playing for the amount of money that I paid for these speakers.

I went on other car audio forums and there were several people with the same problem as me. At first, I thought my speakers wasn't broken in completely and thats why the popping noise occurred, but its ONLY at my side of the door and everywhere else it played fine. I am sure that there is nothing wrong with my speakers because if I playing anything BELOW 18 on my volume ****, the dyns sound great with NO popping noises from THAT speaker.

Any inputs or suggestions???
Old 06-08-03, 01:22 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dieselman63,

Dyns will handle a certain amount of volume before going to a popping noise - I'd guess somewhere around 100 watts rms. It'll probably do good on the vocals but then pop when it hits a bass note. This is the cone overexcursion "pop" noise that you hear. IME, pretty much normal for the Dyns. If you think that's bad, try the MBQ. I've gotten the coil to actually jump ABOVE the magnet itself and get stuck there, and at a lower volume.

What do you have the xover set for?

Percy
Old 06-08-03, 03:35 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta take a look at that again, what do you have it set for? The volume does get loud , though not too loud to a point where "I can't stand it anymore" while maintaining the music without the popping noises. Don't get wrong, I HARDLY play it THAT loud but I've listened music in some of my friend's cars with lower end brands that hold up better in louder volume, not sq though. Dyn's are the best in that catagory.

Everyone who ever listened to my Dyn's loved the clarity and the crispness of the music, but were a little surprised that it couldn't go a little louder before the popping noises comes.

Alot of people I've met recommended DDW 6.5 components for nice SQL. Its not mentioned here too often, don't know too much about this brand.
Old 06-08-03, 03:47 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I usually have it set for 80hz to 70hz, 24db/oct for the MW160's.

Don't know much about the DDW brand...

Percy
Old 06-08-03, 04:29 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

pull your x-over up a bit and it will quit.