Sponsored by:

Android in RC using AV jack

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 10:18 AM
Pacific13
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Android in RC using AV jack

In my previous car (Toyota GT86) have replaced the OEM headunit with an Android bought on Chinese market. It was usefull particularly to use Torque Pro and read in live all the engine informations.
Now I would like to have the same things on my RC200T but do not wish to change the original equipment. Fortunately the car is equipped with an AV jack. Thus, I decided to use this connection to obtain the intended goal. I bought an Android TV box, make the correct wiring plugs, change the launcher to have a most easy use and go on.
Below some views of the system, it remain the modification of the brake wiring to allow a functionning during driving. (not difficult but the time ...)
Hope this will give idea to other members.

The equipment in the central compartment

Torque Pro main page

Torque in action

Visual from driving position, good visibility

The launcher main page

My phone with Miracast

GooglePlay with the wifi connection of the box

In fact you can use the box as a phone with all the Android options and applications. You can also see movies (it is not reasonable during driving...) music and so on.
Old 10-19-16, 08:38 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sweet, this has been on my to do list, thanks for the ideas!
DIY instructions and parts list would be very appreciated

I also see a mouse icon, how's that controlled?
Old 10-20-16, 04:34 AM
johnchi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post.
Thanks for sharing
I second the request for actual parts used.
Old 10-21-16, 06:40 AM
Pacific13
Driver School Candidate

For the equipments, regarding the TV box I took the T95N as is originaly fitted with Wifi and Bluetooth. On the other had is smallest that other in the market 9.5 cm X 9.5 cm which is perfect for the central compartment. A substential advantage is the cost which is under the 40$ an exemple but you can found it in other shop or Ebay ;http://www.banggood.com/fr/T95N-Mini...p-1057606.html
For the cable, the jack is a 4 points but the connections are not standard. You have to be check carefully the various connections otherwise you will not obtain a result. In fact for the Lexus side you have the details in the car book but for the T95N you have to check. With the herebelow schematic I confirm that for Lexus (RC) side it is the "Samsung" connection and for the T95N it is "Apple
iBook,..) It is in French but easly understandable.....

Personnaly I make my own cable with only the video as for my use I don't need the audio and the cable is reduced to 20cm.To a normal use you can use the cables with the RCA connectors like
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/3-5mm-Jack-Fi...oAAOSw41xXOZxX and http://www.ebay.fr/itm/3-5mm-Jack-Fi...oAAOSw41xXOZxX, just control carefully the connection between the jack and the RCA accordingly with the previous information as the collors are differents.The main problem is that the cables are rather long.
For the power you can use any cable connected to a 5v adapteur. I did not try direct on the USB connector as I use same for my music and are not free.
Regarding the system itself, the box is principally dedicated for the TV and the main page is mad for. I prefered a standard screen and I installed an other launcher. I took one as simple as possible "Smart Launcher" easy and not complicated.I,of course add other application to facilitate the use, "Shutdown" allowing easy switch off, "NOMone Resolution Changer" This application is intended to change your device resolution and density which is important to a correct visibility on the car sceen. For the 7" screen in the RC, a good setting is 1024x576 - 240DPI. Of course you can try other settings but it is difficult to find a good one. Try this and you will have the result as previousely showed.You can add all applications you may need as this box as important memory and is already rooted.Don't forget "Torque Pro", of course;-) and an ELM327 plug V1.5 (forget the version 2.1 as you risk to encounterd numerous connection problem) For my side I have this one http://www.dx.com/p/elm327-v1-5-obdi...ite-12v-149344 which is interesting with is power switch allowing remaining in place with no power when not used.
I hope to have given sufficient informations and remain
Old 10-21-16, 10:39 AM
Pacific13
Driver School Candidate

Oupss, I forget the mouse, I use this http://www.banggood.com/fr/BESTRUNNE...p-1014813.html cheap, slight and sufficient for change application. In fact with the mouse on the armrest you can do everything.
Old 10-24-16, 10:13 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you very much for taking the time to type those instructions and even going so far as to provide links.
Awesome job!