Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Stereo input for MP3 jukebox?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-01, 03:18 PM
nschaper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '98 GS300 with the Nak upgrade. I am interested in hooking up a 6Gig hard drive based MP3 jukebox. I'm considering the Archos 6000 (www.archos.com).

So I need a line level input to the Nak system. Any help? I'd like to avoid replacing the head unit if at all possible. I don't consider using a cassette adapter to be a good option (poor sound quality, lots of hiss).

Also, does anybody have a good link with specifics on installing dynaudio speakers (best place to buy, installation procedures, etc.)?

Thanks in advance,

Neil
Old 03-23-01, 06:27 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by nschaper
I have a '98 GS300 with the Nak upgrade. I am interested in hooking up a 6Gig hard drive based MP3 jukebox. I'm considering the Archos 6000 (www.archos.com).

So I need a line level input to the Nak system. Any help? I'd like to avoid replacing the head unit if at all possible. I don't consider using a cassette adapter to be a good option (poor sound quality, lots of hiss).

Also, does anybody have a good link with specifics on installing dynaudio speakers (best place to buy, installation procedures, etc.)?

Thanks in advance,

Neil
this topic was discussed with detail on the old forum...it cant be done according to percy. And he knows. you have to replace the headunit...

I am waiting til about April to do this...there is a new Clarion MP3/cd player with aux inputs...I was going to get a HD based player carmp3 and this, that way I have both...But YOu need to also change the AMP since the Amp and the headunit work together.

And since i am going to be doing this might as well change the speakers and get the doors and trunk insulated...yep...it is expensive...hopefully I can sell the headunit, amp and changer on eBay hahaha.
Old 03-23-01, 08:15 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

nschaper,

The cassette adapter itself doesn't produce hiss...it's the tape media. Since magnetic tape has a certain amount of "random" direction magnetic particles, they can't be all arranged to the signal. This is what causes the hiss. As for the quality of the tape head itself, I'd be willing to say that it's good for about 17khz in response. Not too shabby, but it isn't CD quality. FM radio is good to about 17k....and that sounds better than alot of the MP3's that I've listened to. ATRAC's are a different story (Sony minidisc) however. In a blind test, I'd have a VERY difficult time telling it apart (with a good and newer player) to the CD original.

mG,

The Clarion player....any info on it? Sounds quite interesting.... Though I won't convert to MP3's just yet due to the inherent collapse of dynamics/sound stage, etc from the compression.

Percy
Old 03-23-01, 08:17 PM
Percy

Brad might have some at Woody's Electronics. http://www.woodyselectronics.com ? Peter Lufrano also has some of these in stock at http://www.theautophile.com Great guy.

For more detailed info on the Dyns, check out http://www.dynaudiona.com Look under the auto section...and if you have time, read up on their other offerings. By far one of the best speaker companies out there.

Percy

Originally posted by nschaper

Thanks in advance,

Neil [/B]
Old 03-24-01, 05:18 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Originally posted by Percy
nschaper,

mG,

The Clarion player....any info on it? Sounds quite interesting.... Though I won't convert to MP3's just yet due to the inherent collapse of dynamics/sound stage, etc from the compression.

Percy
Percy,
here is the specs on it..
http://www.clarionmultimedia.com/Pro...gh_end-cd.html

it is better than the kenwood. s/n of 100. tell me if there is anything that you see as a something to avoid about this unit.

I am also going to get this unit

http://www.mp3megaplayer.com/neo35mp3play1.html

that way I can fill the slot for a double din setup, and I will have all my music with me at all times...
or I can add a clarion DVD player and LCD screen as another option. But I am really looking at purchasing a used m3 or a used supra-TT (they are a bit more expensive, and rarer) So I might just go with the headunit, amp, and upgrade the sub.
decisions, decisions, decisions....

Last edited by Gs400TRD; 03-24-01 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-25-01, 10:14 AM
Percy

The clarion looks like a sweet unit! Wish they had more specs on it though. Channel seperation numbers would be helpful....couldn't find these though. But otherwise, Clarion makes some pretty nice head units.

Percy
Old 03-25-01, 12:14 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Cool MP3

I use a tape adapter with my MP3 player and have great results. In my Lex I use a computer with Winamp, an LCD display and keypad the soundcard is soundblaster and I simply plug in the rca for the tape adapter. Sounds really great. With my I-Paq MP3 player it is ok sounding. I will actually be replacing the std head unit with a touchscreen control.....

If you can find the proper inputs to the amp from the cd player you can splice in and listen that way. This can be done, my buddy did this for my 92 400 with a NAK, but input my MP3 player to the CD in with a front source switch (cd/mp3). Unfortunatly, he has disappered into Microsoftville and cannot be located anymore.
Old 03-26-01, 12:06 AM
nschaper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the info. A few responses:

Cassette tape adapters: The noise that I get from these things is just a high pitched static (sounds a lot like tape hiss but I realize it's not the same thing). Very noticeable during quiet passages and for me it causes listening fatigue after a while. Otherwise it does sound surprisingly good. I'm using a Recoton adapter, maybe there are better ones??

I don't like the wires hanging out of the dash, but I suppose with some effort the wires could be concealed.

Tapping into the CD->Amp connection: I read one on of these forums that it's a digital link, so you can't "splice" into it and switch between the CD changer and another line source. Maybe you could do that on a '92 model, but not on a '98 GS Nak. If that's untrue please reply, I would really like to be able to do this.

MP3: There are plenty of horrible sounding MP3s out there. It depends on the bitrate the music was encoded at, and the quality of the encoding algorithm. MP3 can be encoded at bitrates anywhere from 32Kbps to 320Kbps. Most content seems to be encoded at 128Kbps, and there are some bad encoders out there. If you have a quality audio link from a PC to your home stereo (most people don't), take the Pepsi challenge with a 192K or above file encoded using Fraunhofer's codec (available for free in MusicMatch Jukebox).

Depends on your ears, but I'm very happy with MP3 sound quality. MP3 definitely isn't the weak link in my (disappointing!) stock Nak system. I'm hoping to drastically improve that with better speakers,

If you get past the sound quality questions, the beauty of MP3 is the ability to have so much audio content at your fingertips.
Old 03-26-01, 07:33 AM
Percy

nschaper,

I've tried the "pepsi challenge" and actually did one better. Using a reference copy (regular cd) of Eagles, Hell Freezes Over, I converted this over to MP3 using the highest quality settings. This is so that I could immediately A/B test the source and the MP3. Result...the MP3 lost dynamics and soundstage was much more narrow. This was easily discernable through the Sennheiser HD580's that I'm using. I'd say about a 6db or more loss in signal to noise ratio. Even the best quality MP3's are lacking, IMO, but the advantage of having so many available is a definite advantage.

Instead of buying cd's, I usually check them out over at the local libraries. Grab a stack and then transfer them onto CD-R audio using dedicated home equipment. (Pioneer Elite PDR99...2k$ unit) Very little loss in sound quality, maybe a db if that.

Percy
Old 03-26-01, 06:22 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Wink there is music and then music....

Hello friends, as an avid audiophile I must admit there is much to be desired with MP3's encoded at a bit rate below 160, and highere bit rates require advanced MP processing (such as DSP plugins and quality sound cards) As our company (mycrobyte) proved in the sales of our Kustom PC units. Anyway for all practicallity, I must admit that 160+ MP3s properly encoded and played back will be no different than CD source for most people in their homes, much less their cars. Of course there is a significant difference between a MP3 source played on my Rotel (and Paradigm Reference speakers) at home, vs CD through my CD transport. Most people however can not tell, though those of us with the Lexus taste will.

I like MP3 in the car because of the usability, not the resolution, though I challange you to play an MP encoded above 160 on a Windows PC with Winamp, a DSP plug in, quality sound card and Direct Sound output. you may be surprised. We have switched over most 'gentlemens' clubs in Ft Wayne to this type of system with many happy customers.

Anyway, my bottom line is to replace the factory system. Dont screw with cutting into the digital line. Go with a quality A/V switch compatible head unit.
Old 03-26-01, 09:51 PM
Percy

933005spd,

Rotel/Paradigm...nice! I dare do not play MP3's on Krell/Dynaudio system at home...or they'll spite me.

Percy
GS400
Overkill audio. Nuff said.