Sponsored by:

Need aftermarket audio advice for IS250

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 02:32 PM
bird333
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need aftermarket audio advice for IS250

My car doesn't have navigation. I am wanting to put in my own HU, amps and speakers. I don't need navigation, but I would like something with an XM tuner and bluetooth capability. I have found this http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=ls2151b and this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket-Single-Din-Factory-Radio-Replacement-Installation-Stereo-Dash-Kit-/331201376369?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AIS250&hash=item4d1d23f071&vxp=mtr Has anyone used either of these? What is your opinion?

1. What wiring harness do I need to tap into the factory wiring?
2. What headunits do you recommend?
3. What beefier battery do you recommend?

Any other advice you can offer would be appreciated. The main thing is I need a way to add my own HU and still keep A/C controls.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-14, 05:49 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While there is a "dash kit" now available, there is no wiring harness adapter that I'm aware of. I did my custom install about three years ago (before this install kit was available). If you are going to run aftermarket amps, you only need to tap power and ground because your signals will run from the aftermarket HU to the amps via interconnects anyway. Do understand that your HVAC controls are contained in the OE CD changer, which is what you will be replacing by putting an aftermarket HU in this location. I tucked mine behind the upper display (not at all easy to do). As for my suggestion for a HU... Kenwood eXcelon is my favorite. Very clean signal, even at max volume and lots of time alignment options for SQ. As for a battery upgrade you can go with an Optima, but I'm running an Audison Voce 5.1k on stock electrical with a regular battery. Shouldn't be necessary but Optima, Kintetik or Stinger are your best bets if you decide to upgrade. Hope this helps.....
Old 12-14-14, 02:41 PM
bird333
Driver

Originally Posted by Slammer1
While there is a "dash kit" now available, there is no wiring harness adapter that I'm aware of. I did my custom install about three years ago (before this install kit was available). If you are going to run aftermarket amps, you only need to tap power and ground because your signals will run from the aftermarket HU to the amps via interconnects anyway. Do understand that your HVAC controls are contained in the OE CD changer, which is what you will be replacing by putting an aftermarket HU in this location. I tucked mine behind the upper display (not at all easy to do). As for my suggestion for a HU... Kenwood eXcelon is my favorite. Very clean signal, even at max volume and lots of time alignment options for SQ. As for a battery upgrade you can go with an Optima, but I'm running an Audison Voce 5.1k on stock electrical with a regular battery. Shouldn't be necessary but Optima, Kintetik or Stinger are your best bets if you decide to upgrade. Hope this helps.....
How did you put the tuck the OEM CD under? Where did you tap into power and ground? What about remote turn-on wire? It sounds like I might have to go with a Roadrover. I kinda don't want to do that. If I just wanted to add a sub, how would I need to do that?
Old 03-16-18, 10:49 AM
bird333
Driver

Bumping this old thread to see what dash kit options may be available now?