Sponsored by:

upgrade stock system in 2018 is 300

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 08:05 PM
kalin02
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default upgrade stock system in 2018 is 300

hi everyone. i'll get to the point. i would like to upgrade the non ML system in my IS 300 but i have a come up with a couple of different options. i've been pm'ing another member of the forum but realized that i should have posted my question in this forum. i have some ideas about how i want to modify my system but can always use some more advice.

1. since the three front dash speakers seem to be full range or coaxial replace i could replace them with an aftermarket coax like focal or morel.
i really prefer component speakers because they would give me more choices and it seems easier to buy a tweeter, 4 inch midrange and 7 inch midbass combo than to find a good sounding coax plus the fact that imaging might be better with the tweeters being somewhere other than the dash. i might also change out the rear door speakers and replace them with coaxials if it's not too much trouble but that's not really a priority.

2. i would use a processor to get a flatter response than the factory amp provides. i've narrowed it down to a 3sixty.3, a jl audio fix 86/ twk 8 combo. i thought about throwing audison into the mix but they cost more than i'm willing to spend. i've used a 3sixty.2 in another system that i has for ten years and never had any problems with it . the 3sixty.3 might be easier to use because all of the functions are contain in one enclosure means one less set of wire to run but the jl combo might be more flexible. does anyone have any experience with either one?

3. the amp that i want to use would either be an alpine pdx-v9 or pdr-v75 or i'll go with a jl xd 700. that way i can have the use two full range channels of the amp to drive the coax/ tweeters and midrange, the other two drive the midbass and the fifth channel to drive a sub. they are all class d amps with similar specs and the speakers that i have listed shouldn't be hard enough to drive for the small difference in total watts to mean anything.

4. has anyone added any second skin or dynamat to their IS? that part can be very time consuming and i really don't know if it's worth the effort. or money.
i'm looking forward to hearing any advice!

since i originally posted the questions above to the other member i've decided that i want to install a hertz three way component speakers for my front stage and use an audison bit ten as the processor and a hertz five channel amp. the biggest problem that i have now is if i should mount the tweeters in the sail panel or find someone that can fabricate something in that location that looks like it came from the factory so that it doesn't draw any unwanted attention.

also, if any has had a custom made fiberglass subwoofer enclosure or had the tweeters mounted in the a pillar do you mind telling me approximately how much it cost? thanks!

Last edited by kalin02; 03-20-18 at 08:09 PM.