Sponsored by:

time alignment and EQ for stock LS 430 ML

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 04:07 PM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time alignment and EQ for stock LS 430 ML

I've got an 01 LS 430 with ML and NAV. Was really hoping I could just swap out the 6 disc changer for a single DIN HU, but looks like that's an expensive proposition at best. Anything is possible with enough money, right? Not the route I'm looking to go.

All I really want is to be able to do some time alignment and get additional EQ bands - especially in the 180 - 600 hz range. That said, I'd love to keep the factory look if possible.

Here's my question. Is it possible to add in both an EQ and something to handle time alignment (is this called a DSP?) to the factory ML setup? If so, what kind of equipment should I be looking for?

To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I'm used to my old Eclipse CD5444 that had a 24bit DAC, 5V preouts, 15-ish EQ bands and basic time alignment presets for a variety of car sizes. Saw the Pioneer DEH 80PRS and thought that could be the solution. Except, no idea how to add that to the car without running into the problem of spending big money on a custom install.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by honasbone; 04-22-14 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-23-14, 09:33 AM
honasbone
Driver

Looks like Google saves the day again. Thought I'd plug this in here in case anyone ever goes digging for this on CL in the future.

What you are looking for is an Audio Processor. Some examples are:

JBL MS8
Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.3
Audison Bit One / Bit Ten

There are others. Some more pricey than these that I guess are even better.

Just an FYI for anyone interested in better EQ and Time Alignment out of their factory stereo.
Old 04-23-14, 01:14 PM
OlySteve
Driver School Candidate

From the three options you listed I would say that the Audison unit is the best in my opinion. For a lower cost option with great features take a look at the Audio Control DQ-61. It doesn't do as much as the Audison but it's a great alternative. I've installed quite a few of the Audio Control oem integration units and they work great. Just my two cents.
Old 04-24-14, 02:21 PM
honasbone
Driver

Appreciate the response.

The audio control looks interesting. Wondering if capping out at 8k on the highs is enough. What are your thoughts?

Also, looks easy to just put some headsphones on (MS-8) and sit in the drivers seat. With the audio control are you just leaving it unmounted in your passenger seat while you make your settings adjustments? Then when dialed in, mount it? Or is there some sort of remote?

In the mean time I found a deal on the JBL MS-2 for 35 bucks shipped. Haha. Reviews are mediocre, but that was given it's $200 price point. I thought at $35 bucks it's worth it just for the experimentation. I'm sure it'll be lacking compared to what I'd ultimately want. My hope though is that it's a $35 bridge gap while I figure out what I really want. Time will tell.

Last edited by honasbone; 04-25-14 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-13-14, 04:03 PM
honasbone
Driver

So I've recently been able to try the MS-2 out. It actually does time alignment really well. And it flattened out the sound quite a bit as well which is great. Unfortunately I was running it through the headphone jack on my iPod which has been causing poor sound quality in general. I just ordered a line out dock which converts the iPod's 30 pin connector into 3.5mm. From what I understand this will allow much cleaner sound to be routed to the MS-2 by bypassing the meager/lacking/subpar, etc. internal iPod headphone amp. It's not really suited for much beyond earbuds.

That MS-2 is a pretty impressive little device. Hope this all comes together well. If not, it's on to bigger and more expensive things.
Old 04-18-16, 10:27 PM
Bkwindom84
Rookie

Default Quick question

does anyone know what wires to tap to get a full range signal to these dsps
Old 04-21-16, 06:30 AM
riafauu
Driver School Candidate

My hope though is that it's a $35 bridge gap while I figure out what I really want.