Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Seduced by the Dubstep. Need advice for system!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 02:01 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Seduced by the Dubstep. Need advice for system!

Moved from the LS 430 forum.

OK.... I'm not the typical dubstep listener. Let's get that out there right now... 45 years old. Mostly listen to 80's (of course) new wave stuff, classical and AC/DC etc... all music that the stock ML system in my 2004 LS can handle pretty well with the exception of AC/DC is I get alittle too enthusiastic.

But until now, having to keep the volume low hasn't really bothered me.. I'm not bass crazy and don't really do a lot of hip hop or rap BUT...

I was working on a commercial and the client wanted to use dubstep in the background, so I went into the studio and was just BLOWN AWAY by the sheer brutality and energy of it.

So to paraphrase Juvenile : I need it in my car. I want it in my car. Come put it in my car. I'm a keep it in my car. (I said a little rap...not a lot...I know that at least..lol)

Here's the problem to solve: Is there a way to beef up the stock system so I can really blast dubstep without ruining everything or do I have to look at replacing everything? I am sure that with a safe way to boost or replace the sub the rest of the speakers can do well.

I just don't know if there's a way to bypass the amp from the head unit and get the signal alone so I can do a beefy amp and sub in the stock location with the stock crossover so as to try to retain the integrity of the sound design that Lexus spent millions of dollars and hundreds of hours putting together....
Old 08-30-12, 07:40 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

what part of fl are u in?

there are plenty of options to choose from. it depends on brand preference,budget and how loud u REALLY want to get.. (i believe the last to be the most important) most people lie to themselves an others about their expectations..

that said: u'll need some form of line convertor (i prefer audio control) then an amp an sub combo.. that would be the most direct way to upgrade your bass.. but dont forget about the highs. you'll notice as you increase the bass how the highs will need to be adjusted to compensate.(simply adding a better quality tweet will make the world of difference) i wouldn't worry too much about the mids until (IF) they start to fail...

good luck
Old 08-31-12, 08:51 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
what part of fl are u in?

there are plenty of options to choose from. it depends on brand preference,budget and how loud u REALLY want to get.. (i believe the last to be the most important) most people lie to themselves an others about their expectations..

that said: u'll need some form of line convertor (i prefer audio control) then an amp an sub combo.. that would be the most direct way to upgrade your bass.. but dont forget about the highs. you'll notice as you increase the bass how the highs will need to be adjusted to compensate.(simply adding a better quality tweet will make the world of difference) i wouldn't worry too much about the mids until (IF) they start to fail...

good luck
Thanks for the reply! I'm in Miami Beach.

I don't really have a brand preference since I'm not that big into car audio as a hobby. I do a lot of home audio both two channel and HT, but in my car I've never really done anything more than upgrade the HU and add a sub (my wife had a CRV I put a very simple system in and added sound deadening...it was sooooo much work!).

That said I do enjoy getting my hands dirty from time to time, so if it's not too crazy I am up for it.

The mids in the ML system are the weak point and I've had at least two of the door speakers replaced while it was under warranty. They look like something out of a 1969 Plymouth if you ask me. ALthough mids are where this system IMO sounds best. The highs are what I would call "raspy" I guess.

I have heard that the ML HU is a very good unit and for being 7 years old, I think the stock system sounds OK.. But as you know... it's only OK...

If I can simply replace the mids with a better quality speaker that has a similar sound profile I would be happy. Same with the tweets. I would imagine that just replacing speakers that fit in the stock locations without getting into ripping out the wires is easy peasy.

Adding or replacing the stock sub and whatever wiring/components in the trunk also seems like an afternoon of fairly easy DIY.

As long as I don't have to rip apart the dash or take out the seats/carpet, I'll be OK.

NOw as far as lying to myself... I'm not sure what you mean. Do people actually want/need LESS or MORE? I can only observe (try) what I do... I usually listen to loud music with the windows closed as again, at 45 yrs old I don't need the entire nieghborhood to hear me... I did that when Planet Rock was popular..so...

BUT with this dubstep stuff I noticed myself cranking the volume to 50 which I've only done a few times before usually to AC/DC when I'm in a great mood. Of course, cranking AC/DC blew the driver side mid and the sub. I figure dubstep will do that even faster.
Old 08-31-12, 09:16 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dupstep changes lives!!! LOL

Old 09-29-12, 01:50 PM
NKYSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just run a basic amp probably 4 channel and hook it up to some JL products w3 is a nice model for a beginner the w7 is over kill subwoofer wise. Get ya some nice components speakers and you'll be good. You don't need a million amps or crazy batteries to run a decent sounding audio set up. If you wanted to splurge you could get an ultima battery.