Sponsored by:

Ampman sent the wrong Arc amp!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-02, 03:36 PM
johnp66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ampman sent the wrong Arc amp!

You plan for weeks, make the tough decisions to buy the high-dollar stuff, book the install -- and then put your upgrade in the hands of a manufacturer's exclusive dealer. And they blow it. Can't believe it, but Ampman sent an Arc 5150xclr instead of the 4150xclr. That's a five-way amp with half the power. Paid a premium for second-day delivery. Ever wonder why they never make the mistake of sending you a superior product? Didn't make a mistake with the billing, of course. And they take the weekend off. So, I break the date for an all-day install. May be obligated to compensate the installer, especially since I didn't buy their product.

Last edited by johnpsc; 11-16-02 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-18-02, 03:20 PM
johnp66
Rookie

Default Ampman apologized; sending right amp

Got a call at 8 a.m. today from Neal Kirk, Ampman owner. He apologized profusely and promised to overnight the right amp and remiburse for any out-of-pocket expenses. He said he has an order verification procedure in place and cannot explain why the wrong amp was shipped.

People make mistakes, and I've made a few myself. I've also had to take responsibility for the mistakes of others, and I respect the fact that Kirk made the call personally -- and as soon as possible. Maybe this encounter makes Ampman a little more careful with our orders. I feel a lot better about the prospect for that after the conversation this morning.

Last edited by johnpsc; 11-18-02 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-19-02, 04:14 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool man. glad that you got it resolved. i have personally never dealt with Arc amps. what is it rated? im assuming that it will power the components. let me know......

Rick
Old 11-19-02, 04:32 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im glad that they fixed the mistake, I heard good things about them, as for ARC audio they are a very good company, they rank up there with Brax and zapco and such, of course the top dog being mcintosh amps
Old 11-19-02, 10:23 PM
johnp66
Rookie

Default New amp arrived as promised

The 4150cxlr arrived this afternoon as promised. Didn't find the return shipping labels, which were supposed to be in the box. Guess I pay to ship the 5150cxlr back.

Rick, the Arc user manual says the amp is "conservatively rated" at 75 watts at 4 ohms. The Ampman site says "85x4/3/2." An accompanying graph in the manual states 14.4v and the power curve shows the noise level climbing above .015% at a little past 75 watts and rising to 1% just south of 100 watts. Separation is stated at >75dB. Manual doesn't say, but I suspect those numbers are at 1khz.

Plan to use all four channels on the Dyns in the doors. (Sounds nice, doesn't it?) The 4150 is a relatively clean sounding amp at a good price, by most accounts. A PPI PCX1250 will drive an IDQ10 at 2 ohms.

Biggie, I think Ampman is OK, probably above-average as a Web retailer. And I'm dying to hear all of this stuff. (Guess you figured that out.) All of these Club Lexus folks can't be wrong about Dynaudio.

Percy's book is on the way and the install is on again for Thursday -- and probably Friday.

Last edited by johnpsc; 11-20-02 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-24-02, 02:51 AM
johnp66
Rookie

Default Return authorization received

I had stated in an earlier post that the return authorization and prepaid shipping for the Arc 5150 was not included in the box, as promised. However, today I received a letter that included the shipping label and return authorization. Just thought I owed that to Ampman. Again, I'm pleased with the response after my order was midhandled initially.