No More Whining on Aftermarket Head Unit/Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 11:11 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by indytrucks
Grounds, grounds grounds. Proper grounds will fix almost all alt whine issues. Combined with the big 3 upgrade. Any amps being used should be grounded to the front batt. anywhere else is just half ***.
False. False false false. You do not need to run a cable from the trunk or other mounting location all the way to the battery for a quality ground for an amp. You do, however, need to understand that paint is not a conductor, nor is rubber, plastic, or grease, or anything else that may be under an existing nut or screw near your amp or deck. A proper ground will not only be the same gauge as your power cable, it will be secured tightly with a bolt or heavy screw and star washer to ensure contact in all areas. This is done after you scrape anything/everything away from the small area that will be making contact with your terminal that is connected to said bolt/screw and star washer, and, ideally, is as short as possible since power flows from negative to positive in the automotive environment. Factory grounds for decks can be good or bad, it really depends on whether or not the vehicle uses a metal cage for the deck, thus creating a ground simply by touching the chassis of the deck to the mounting cage. If you have noise, a different ground for the deck may be needed.

Combine this with proper grounding under the hood, as stated above, and you should have no ground concerns with amps or decks.

Big Mack
Old 04-09-12, 11:56 AM
hihopes
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I have a similar problem, although I may need a different solution since I have a carPC and not a regular stereo setup.
I have a whining described exactly as above (that goes up and down with my rpms), that is only heard while the carPC is off. And since it takes a few seconds to boot up you hear it when you first start the car, then it goes away 99% when the computer is on. Obviously the computer completes some sort of ground and the whine goes away.
But since the linked websites say that the cause is a deeper underlying issue, I wanna fix it. Anyone have any suggestions? Ground the PC better maybe?
id think that if it goes away when your pc is on, that you wouldnt have to ground the pc better, but the stereo system instead. with my problem, whoever installed the old headunit just completely disregarded the ground wire coming from the stock wiring.
i would take out the headunit and check to make sure all the wires are connected in the first place. if theyre all good, then you can try putting the ground wire on different things and see if it improves.