Sponsored by:

Anyone with experience with Pioneer TS-SWX251

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 07:34 AM
itr206
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with experience with Pioneer TS-SWX251

I am looking for a cheaper sub and enclosure that is small enough to fit on the sides of my trunk or maybe on the hump behind the seats and still leave me ample trunk room.
I have heard about these Pioneer shallow mount setups sounding pretty good, but but cant find them to see in person or real in depth reviews.

Anyone with experience with these?
TS-SWX251
Old 09-19-11, 09:09 PM
maxXx430
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

image dynamics require very little cubic space for optimums. and they work great without a box if you want to drop it in as a straight replacement.

cant say much about the pioneer though
Old 09-21-11, 09:25 AM
itr206
Rookie

IM looking specifically at this application though. Any insight on this sub setup?
Old 09-22-11, 04:41 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

it works really well i've put a few in.. they sound great.. try mounting the encl to the seat back (woofer facing the seat) should give u plenty of trunk room, an great sound..just make sure u dont exceed the rec power.. so u dont blow the sub
Old 09-22-11, 05:53 AM
itr206
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
it works really well i've put a few in.. they sound great.. try mounting the encl to the seat back (woofer facing the seat) should give u plenty of trunk room, an great sound..just make sure u dont exceed the rec power.. so u dont blow the sub
It wont muffle it too much by facing the seatback? I was thinking either that or facedown. I dont think it will fit in the back corner/wheelwell Im assuming?
Old 09-22-11, 05:26 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by itr206
It wont muffle it too much by facing the seatback? I was thinking either that or facedown. I dont think it will fit in the back corner/wheelwell Im assuming?
no bcuz the woofer needs something to load off ie: the floor or the seat back (which should be solid) if not u could mount a board wrapped w carpet or vinyl then mount the encl to it... same response as if it was on the floor
Old 09-27-11, 07:37 AM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We don't have the swx251's in australia, but there's a similar small enclosure sub in the pioneer range called the ib-flats (I suspect they're the same thing). I had an audition of the ib-flats over the weekend, and they sounded amazing even in 10". To me they sounded just as good as any 12" sub i've had in my previous cars (kickers, rockford fosgates, etc) but in a much more compact form factor.

I reckon if you can pick up an swx251 with a matching 8500m amp you'd be on a winner. Let me know how you go, i'm actually tossing up between this combo or a self-powered unit like the infinity basslink or mtx thunderlink.
Old 09-27-11, 04:52 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by maxXx430
image dynamics require very little cubic space for optimums. and they work great without a box if you want to drop it in as a straight replacement.

cant say much about the pioneer though
fyi image dynamics is no longer in business... they will be missed...
Old 09-29-11, 06:11 AM
itr206
Rookie

Originally Posted by Howiefied
We don't have the swx251's in australia, but there's a similar small enclosure sub in the pioneer range called the ib-flats (I suspect they're the same thing). I had an audition of the ib-flats over the weekend, and they sounded amazing even in 10". To me they sounded just as good as any 12" sub i've had in my previous cars (kickers, rockford fosgates, etc) but in a much more compact form factor.

I reckon if you can pick up an swx251 with a matching 8500m amp you'd be on a winner. Let me know how you go, i'm actually tossing up between this combo or a self-powered unit like the infinity basslink or mtx thunderlink.
Well now looking into things more. I was in my trunk this weekend and realized there is a sheetmetal plate partitioning the trunk and seats. So Im getting the feeling something more high powered might work out better unless I plan on keeping the arm rest down in the back seats to let some air penetrate.
I heard these subs sound good, but in a sealed lux car not sure how its going to do. . .
Same with the powered woofers. They have a kicker setup at BB thats not bad either, but same position I will be in I think.
Old 09-29-11, 06:18 AM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been doing a bit of research into powered woofers as well.. and been reading some very good things about the Rockford Fosgate R300-12 and R300-10. Apparently they absolutely pump for the price ~$200usd.
Old 09-29-11, 07:12 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
fyi image dynamics is no longer in business... they will be missed...
Image Dynamics is still in business. They have forced out the founder but the company is still around. More importantly, this has happened recently enough that the products that are out there are still the good stuff designed and produced by Eric.
Old 09-29-11, 08:07 AM
itr206
Rookie

Originally Posted by Howiefied
I've been doing a bit of research into powered woofers as well.. and been reading some very good things about the Rockford Fosgate R300-12 and R300-10. Apparently they absolutely pump for the price ~$200usd.
I might check this out. Good reviews as you said and the price is right. Still curious about how that would work with the back seat metal penetration though with a low powered sub
Old 09-29-11, 08:32 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

If it were me, I'd likely just get an Infinity Basslink. Simple, compact and powerful.
Old 09-29-11, 10:31 AM
itr206
Rookie

Originally Posted by mdbrown
If it were me, I'd likely just get an Infinity Basslink. Simple, compact and powerful.
Thought about it, but havent really heard anything great about it
Old 09-29-11, 10:35 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

I have yet to hear an all in one solution that's better. A lot depends on your goal though, if you want to shake the outside mirrors and be heard a block away then no, it's not for you. If you want a good, strong bass foundation for your music and accurate sound reproduction is a design goal then you need to give it strong consideration.

Quick Reply: Anyone with experience with Pioneer TS-SWX251