Just installed Vlad's Video-Nav I

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02, 01:11 AM
Tri5spd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: RE: GEX P6400tv

Originally posted by dfwLexus
The GEX-P6400TV doesn't support VGA outputs so it won't work on the Nav monitors.
I see thanks!
Old 08-28-02, 09:59 AM
Ryu
Driver School Candidate

Is there any updates as to when will the instructions or require parts from VLAD to do this mod become available? Thanks.
Old 08-28-02, 12:00 PM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

man, that is so SWEET!!! how's the color display? i can't really tell here with my crappy monitor at work...looks like it's wide screen too...man, i'm sprung!
Old 08-28-02, 06:36 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Ryu
Is there any updates as to when will the instructions or require parts from VLAD to do this mod become available? Thanks.
The website should be up by the end of Sept. or the beginning of Oct. Then you can order it direct from Vlad. I'm not sure about the price yet.
The color is pretty good, but I have to play with the adjustment for a while to get it right.
Old 08-30-02, 10:47 AM
Neo302
Driver School Candidate

Do you have to use Vlads parts or could you use another TV tuner and tap in the wires? Also, how do you like the pioneer stuff?
Old 08-30-02, 10:56 AM
dfwLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Alternatives

The trick is finding an AV receiver that has RGB outputs (with compatible signal characteristics). I don't think anyone has found any alternatives. It looks like there's some other Pioneer units but they cost more.

The Pioneer 7000TV is a great match plus it has a built in TV tuner. The problem is getting the text setup screen to show up since it was designed to work only with a Pioneer RGB monitor. That's where Vladd's box comes in.

I noticed an inexpensive DVD player with built in TV tuner. So, if someone finds an alternative to the 7000TV, this may address the TV tuner if that's important. I've seen an earlier post that had a link to another AV receiver but I don't think anyone has pursued it (I've got a link on another PC to the web sight if someone's interested in checking it out I don't think I'm supposed to post links to vendors so just send me a PM.)

dfwLexus
Old 09-06-02, 12:10 AM
mrlexusmn
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by concepts
I just want to add:

You people do not want to hear this...

It is my opinion that the GEX 7000TV will be discontinued soon.

The new Pioneer products are COMPOSITE RCA now and there is a new tuner which replaces the 7000TV for the new models (6400, etc). I predict, for the next generation, the current models will be phased out and the GEX7000 dropped.

Just a guess, but you may want to pick up the GEX7000 now because of the RGB conversion built in. The RGB1 cable has already been dropped.

BTW: We are also in development of a RGB conversion kit.

We help developed the LEXUS protocal adapter to AFTERMARKET CHANGERS, the first and only on the market.
So It appears that once this RGB converter is done, we would be able to hook up any dvd player, tuner or anything else with video outs. Am I correct? It would be much more economical to purchase a dvd player with a built in tv tuner (which can be done on ebay for less that 200$) than to buy all this pioneer stuff. It would also be alot easier to hook up; provided it is a plug in adapter with RCA inputs. Any thoughts???
Old 09-06-02, 09:50 AM
dfwLexus
Driver School Candidate

Actually, my understanding is that all the converter does is allow the the "text" setup menus from the GEX 7000TV to show up on the display (normally the GEX needs to be connected to a Pioneer display). This box isn't converting video signals to RGB. I also believe the conversion box allows an IR receiver to be installed up front (rather than the one built into the GEX). These statements are based on previous posts on this thread/forum.

dfwLexus
Old 09-06-02, 12:23 PM
Neo302
Driver School Candidate

i believe it also fixes video issues one may encounter with the pioneer device.
Old 09-06-02, 06:42 PM
docrings
Rookie

Talking NAV unit removal

Can you please post information on removing the NAV unit? A weblink or PDF post of the manual? This will help, or maybe someone can put a photo gallery together of the "step-by-step" with detailed commentary of either the NAV unit removal or the Vlad-vid install...
Can't wait to get this hooked up!!!!

DVD videos on the NAV and 2000 MP3's on my RIO carplayer... can I just live in my Lexus?
Old 09-06-02, 06:44 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Right on dfwLexus. This convertor make the GEX becomes the stand alone unit, add DVD, TV antenna, then you're set.
The RGB and Sync signal from the Nav ECU have to go in the box and out at the another end to the Nav. display. The Pioneer RGB cables do the same. This way you still have all your Nav. functions+DVD+TV and rear monitor camera. And it's come with IR to switching between all the input you have in the GEX. I hope this may help.
Attached Thumbnails Just installed Vlad's Video-Nav I-nav-layout.jpg  
Old 09-07-02, 10:43 AM
VVTIS
Driver

Any updates on when it will be complete yet?
Old 09-07-02, 07:12 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Toog4me

That is so ****ing sick. The fit of the camera is so perfect and the picture is sweet. Now if you could only put one in the front too!

Does this mean though that you can only open the trunk with the built in key fob or from underneath the steering wheel?

Anyhow, it looks really sweet. When I find someone who knows all this kind of stuff, Ill have it done. Till then, mahala.
I'll help you dude, I got a book that shows a tear down of the GS (thanks Percy!).
Old 09-08-02, 12:29 PM
mrlexusmn
Driver School Candidate

If this is gonna happen soon, let us know. I want to buy the pioneer GEX-P7000TV now in case it is discontinued like mentioned. I don't want to get it though, if I won't need it or if vlad's adapter is going to cost 500$ Does anyone have an idea of what he will be charging for the video-nav 1??
Old 09-08-02, 05:52 PM
Neo302
Driver School Candidate

I doubt it would be near that cause then you could use a pioneer tv and hook up the stock screen as a supplemental screen.

Quick Reply: Just installed Vlad's Video-Nav I