Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

To those who have upgraded your front speakers to a bigger size...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 10:31 PM
wooziewest
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To those who have upgraded your front speakers to a bigger size...

I bought the ebay adaptors and it seems they do not sit flush with the stock baffle. There is a big gap between the lower part of the adaptor and the baffle becuase the baffle is not flat, it slopes downward.

How did you get them to sit flush or seal the gap?

Thanks
Old 06-12-10, 03:18 PM
airtraffic
Rookie

The Ebay baffles are good for one thing and one thing only.. To trace a template to make your own out of 1/4 inch MDF.
Old 06-12-10, 04:22 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^what he said.
go with a custom wood enclosure...
Old 06-12-10, 04:26 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Use it as a template, then send it back
Old 06-12-10, 09:49 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the black abs ones on ebay and they did not fit at all as far as putting the door panel back on.

once i took off the door panel i had to take off the stock speaker and the stock plastic housing and all the wiring going around the spot that goes in the hole where the speaker goes. the adapter wont sit right unless you remove all the wiring around it and make room.

i had to remove the raised part part on the adapter and just used the flat portion and drilled my own new holes. even after all that my door panel still wont fit with 6.5" speakers in there. it rests right on it. so i had to hack and trim my door panel. there was no other way to make it fit. the adapter would have to bend into the hole in the door to make it fit.

i had 6.5" in the back and the stock 4 inch in the front and after i replaced the front it made a huge difference. the sound actually sounds even now, it use to be louder in the back and now its fine.
Old 06-13-10, 08:19 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what FuMoFFuTT and I did... it only works on non-Nakamichi speaker brackets.

Take out your stock speaker enclosure.
Remove all screws holding it together.
Cut away at sealant holding it together. You can use something to pry the two pieces apart to help you.

You will end up with this...

Next trace a cut-out for your MDF bracket that will sit inside the speaker enclosure. This is the hardest step because of the weird shape you have to cut. Then use your trace to cut your MDF, use a thin piece MDF, I think we used 1/2 inch. Cut with a Jig Saw.

Once this is done you can copy your design for the other speaker enclosure. Both sides are identical.

You will also have to cut out a circle in the bracket. Drill a hole in the middle of the bracket and then use your jigsaw to cut out the speaker hole the right size for your speaker.

You end up with this...

Place sealant along edges...

And now you have two custom speaker enclosures for your 6.5" speakers.

To make sure your speakers don't hit your door. On the inside of your door you will have to cut the excess carpet on the inside of your door panel. From the inside of the car you cannot tell the carpet was cut, the excess carpet is on the inside and is touching against the speaker. Just cut away at this and it will give the speaker enough room not to interfere with anything.

FuMoFFuTT and I saved a copy of our wooden bracket. We're going to scan the bracket so anyone can print out the actual sized scan. This way, since the bracket will be printed to scale you can just use the print-out to cut your own bracket with a jigsaw.
Old 06-13-10, 08:26 AM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG that would be so tight if you guys would print out the layout.
Old 06-13-10, 11:39 AM
wooziewest
Driver

damn so those expensive ebay templates are useless? lol. So the easiest way to do it is make the adapter sit INSIDE the baffle?
Old 06-13-10, 11:48 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wooziewest
damn so those expensive ebay templates are useless? lol. So the easiest way to do it is make the adapter sit INSIDE the baffle?
Yes. It's actually a huge scam. I don't even know how they could sell something that simply doesn't work. The people who designed it never even test fitted what they designed. It's a piece of garbage. What makes me even more mad is that they mass produced something that doesn't work and the same crappy ebay bracket has been selling for years.

It's probably the easiest way, unless someone else has another idea. It also sounds a lot better than the ebay bracket because the midbass can actually resonate inside the stock enclosure.
Old 06-13-10, 01:16 PM
wooziewest
Driver

Hmmm. Well the whole purpose of me purchasing such a thing off ebay is because I dont have enough time to make speaker brackets right now. Everything else on my car is higher priority.

Is the anyone on the forums who would be willing to make me/ sell me a pair?
Old 06-13-10, 06:58 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Ya I bought mine to save time too... but you will just end up with a thinner wallet. Message FuMoFFuTT, I think he has 2 extra brackets that we made that will fit inside the stock speaker enclosure.
Old 07-03-10, 02:44 PM
wooziewest
Driver

Ok so I have installed my speakers but the really have no depth of bass to them. Do i need to port the enclosure for bass?
Old 04-08-13, 04:02 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Clean400
Here's what FuMoFFuTT and I did... it only works on non-Nakamichi speaker brackets.

Take out your stock speaker enclosure.
Remove all screws holding it together.
Cut away at sealant holding it together. You can use something to pry the two pieces apart to help you.

You will end up with this...

Next trace a cut-out for your MDF bracket that will sit inside the speaker enclosure. This is the hardest step because of the weird shape you have to cut. Then use your trace to cut your MDF, use a thin piece MDF, I think we used 1/2 inch. Cut with a Jig Saw.

Once this is done you can copy your design for the other speaker enclosure. Both sides are identical.

You will also have to cut out a circle in the bracket. Drill a hole in the middle of the bracket and then use your jigsaw to cut out the speaker hole the right size for your speaker.

You end up with this...

Place sealant along edges...

And now you have two custom speaker enclosures for your 6.5" speakers.

To make sure your speakers don't hit your door. On the inside of your door you will have to cut the excess carpet on the inside of your door panel. From the inside of the car you cannot tell the carpet was cut, the excess carpet is on the inside and is touching against the speaker. Just cut away at this and it will give the speaker enough room not to interfere with anything.

FuMoFFuTT and I saved a copy of our wooden bracket. We're going to scan the bracket so anyone can print out the actual sized scan. This way, since the bracket will be printed to scale you can just use the print-out to cut your own bracket with a jigsaw.
Did you take any pics of the finished product with the door panels off? Very interested in seeing them, I have some spare MDF around. What size MDF did you use? 1/2"?
Old 04-10-13, 02:13 AM
rome58
Rookie

Must be different from the ones on car-speaker-adapters.com I have a set from there in my gs400 and they worked awesome
Old 04-11-13, 09:29 AM
Salcedo90
Driver

i have a 94 gs300 and i upgrade to bigger speakerss n to be honest i didnt even use a template or anythin or that kind i juss ended up drillin holes into the door pannel to hold the speaker in place lol

Quick Reply: To those who have upgraded your front speakers to a bigger size...