Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

6.5" Infinitys' with Nak 280 watt amp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 07:23 PM
airtraffic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.5" Infinitys' with Nak 280 watt amp?

Hey there.. Question.. Many SC owners are replacing their stock 4" speakers with 6.5"s.. I am doing it with a pair of Infinity Reference components. Question is as far as amping 'em. Many have said these speakers need to be amped. My SC has the optional upgraded 280 watt Nakamichi amp. Will that be sufficient to do the Infinity's justice? I'm using the stock Nak head unit and do not want to mess with wiring for an amp. So far I have one side installed and the other side still stock.. The system sounds OK, but not quite what I was hoping for. I'm hoping I see a dramatic difference when I get the other side swapped out from stock. Seems to me I lost a little bit of mid-range going to the Infinity 6.5's.
Old 01-02-10, 09:04 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Are you using the Infinity crossover, or using the separate mid/tweeter wires from the Nakamichi amp? If you're using the crossover, that may be your issue. You can use it, but it should be using the lowest feed (mid) from the Nak amp, not the one from the tweeter. That could be why you're missing some midrange.

When doing the upgrade, I would also recommend that you use some type of matting around the plates to ensure a good seal to the door. Dynamat, Raammat, etc cut to fit and then wrapped down to the door will do the trick.

Big Mack
Old 01-03-10, 05:40 AM
airtraffic
Rookie

I did put down some Dynamat Extreme.. I'm using the Infinity crossover.. There are two settings one tweeter attenuated (0db)and one non-attenuated (+3db). I thik I'm using the non attenuated setting of +3db.
Old 01-03-10, 07:20 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Question

Originally Posted by airtraffic
I did put down some Dynamat Extreme.
Good plan. Make sure you wrap the new plates from the speaker hole out to the door.

I'm using the Infinity crossover.. There are two settings one tweeter attenuated (0db)and one non-attenuated (+3db). I thik I'm using the non attenuated setting of +3db.
That may attribute it partially, but where did you get your signal to the crossover from? That's the bigger question. If you got it from the mid speaker output, it should give you the range the original mid was playing and up. If you got it from the tweeter output, it would only give you tweeter range and up. Not sure if the Nak system had a full DSP or used a filter at the tweeter itself, but make sure you're using it from the mid, not the tweet. I would also check the factory tweeter to see if it has a cap on it, as that's going to give more info.

Big Mack
Old 01-03-10, 09:28 AM
airtraffic
Rookie

Thanks for the input.. The Nak system takes an input from the amp and sends it to the 4" mid driver.. After the mid, it then goes to a crossover set up inside the Nak enclosure consisting of a piece of copper wire wrapped around a steel donut-looking (magnet?) thing and a capacitor and up to the tweeter. So I took the signal from the amp, hooked it to the crossover "in" then feed off the crossover "Woofer out" to the mid and the "tweeter out" to the tweeter. This would seem to me to duplicate how it was set up from the factory.
Old 01-03-10, 06:38 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input.. The Nak system takes an input from the amp and sends it to the 4" mid driver.. After the mid, it then goes to a crossover set up inside the Nak enclosure consisting of a piece of copper wire wrapped around a steel donut-looking (magnet?) thing and a capacitor and up to the tweeter. So I took the signal from the amp, hooked it to the crossover "in" then feed off the crossover "Woofer out" to the mid and the "tweeter out" to the tweeter. This would seem to me to duplicate how it was set up from the factory.
Yep, that sounds (no pun intended) about right. The "donut" you are referring to is an inductor .

Big Mack