Sponsored by:

Installing Sony head unit in 99 GS with Factory NAV

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 01:59 PM
Selvarace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Sony head unit in 99 GS with Factory NAV

Hello Stereo gurus. I have been installing stereos for many years and we do install systems at my Tuner Shop, but stereos are not our specialty. So heres the problem. I have a 99 GS400 that is my daily driver. Factory NAV that works just fine. The Climate control works just fine. Something is wrong with the tuner where my volume and balance goes in and out as I hit bumps in the road.

Id like to keep the factory NAV and Climate Control. Is it possible to keep all that in tact and just remove the lower unit that has the tuning buttons/volume/cassette deck? Id like to just replace the factory audio with a Sony or Pioneer CD/AM/FM/iPod control unit. Along with that, just make it a stand alone sytem not integrated in any way wit the NAV and Climate. So I'd be running new wires for speakers and maybe even do amp and new small sub/box. i dont want a booming system, so I'm just looking at keeping it simple.

Has anyone had any problems by removing the factory cassette head unit and replacing it with something else? Or am I just better off replacing it with another factory unit. I just dont have the experience with the NAV. I dindnt want to have problems if by removing the cassette head would it damage delicate circuits or software in the NAV hardrive. Many thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-09, 03:40 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm certainly not a "stereo guru" and don't even have a GS but I've installed a bunch of aftermarket DIN stereos in mostly European cars and a few Hondas over too many years to acknowledge. OK, I've been doing it since the 1960s.

I'm curious why you would want to replace only the radio and keep the pathetic (my opinion) OEM nav system. Have you considered ripping out the nav and the rest of the radio, buying the HVAC controls off a non-nav GS (e.g. on eBay) and replacing the the nav radio with a nice aftermarket double DIN nav/radio/Bluetooth/MP3/ipod/DVD/microwave oven -- kidding about the oven.

Several people on this forum have confirmed that the HVAC control from a non-nav GS is plug and play with the HVAC connectors on a GS with OEM nav. I've seen HVAC controls out of non-nav 98-05 GS cars on eBay for relatively low prices -- around $100.

There hasn't been an update for your 99 GS nav since 2004 and there ain't going to be any more updates. The OEM nav on your 99 GS has a few hundred thousand POI's and very little, and now outdated, street detail for many areas. I saw a double DIN nav the other day that had something like 20 million POI's!

Maybe you don't even want nav -- must not be an issue if the OEM nav is OK for you. If you don't want nav, double DIN stereos without nav are usually substantially less expensive than the ones with nav.

Just trying to give you ideas and hoping to see some nice photos when you have this project done.

Last edited by Kansas; 08-11-09 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-11-09, 04:55 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Sorry, didn't realise that the saw and posted to a recent thread that gave you information similar to what I gave you: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-98-gs400.html

I suspect you would be blazing new trails keeping the OEM nav and replacing only the lower radio part -- never saw anyone do that. Doesn't mean that it can't be done.
Old 08-12-09, 09:10 AM
Selvarace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Kansas, thanks. At first, I wanted to keep the NAV because of the trip computer and the HVAC was all itegrated and cool looking and I figured it keep the car stock looking inside. BUT, evry day I drive that friggen thing with tha volume and balance thing annoying the hell out of me, makes me just want to rip it out and toss it!

Actually your idea made me think. Yes I did already see that thread on removing it and replacing with non NAV HVAC controls. I have re read that thread a few times now and then with your advice, I think thats what Im going to do. I have seen a few pic of cars where people have installed nice double DIN kits where it looks pretty darn good. That iPod integration is another good reason to do it too. I think your idea makes the most sense now that I have slept on it.

I guess its off to eBay I go. Thanks again.