Search this Thread

Old 03-29-02, 05:37 AM
lexasgs400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring aftermarket amps and speakers

i have a 1998 gs400

i have been looking through the archives for a while now but no luck

i had diamond audio seperates put in the front and rear doors and a jl audio 12ib4 installed with a punch 240.4 running the highs and a punch 225.2 running the sub

the shop i took it to was having a hard time finding the signal to hook up the line-out-converters so the ended up using the wires after the factory amp

the problem i have the gain is all the way down on both amps but at high volume the highs seam to distort and the sub can't handle the bass level on the factory deck over zero at a high level or it distorts also

if anyone has any insight on this or what i can do to have this fixed i would greatly appreciate it

what is the proper way to wire this

thanks
Old 03-29-02, 08:15 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds to me like you're overdriving the inputs of both Punch amplifiers. In terms of voltage swing, you're way beyond the range that the amp inputs are set up for. Sounds like they wired the speaker-level output of the factory amp to the preamp-level inputs of the Punch amps, without using line-level-converters. Do the amps have speaker-level inputs? If so, wire to these instead. If not, you'll need to insert a line-level-converter (LLC) or two. The LLC takes the speaker-level outputs from your factory amp and reduced the overall voltage swing to preamp levels, so that you can then connect the LLC output to the preamp-level inputs of the Punches. Best to go back to the shop and have them get it right. (They should know this stuff...)