Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

99 SC300 Factory Radio and Motorola HF1000 Bluetooth Kit - WORKS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-13, 11:44 AM
Gee44
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 99 SC300 Factory Radio and Motorola HF1000 Bluetooth Kit - WORKS!

In my quest to keep all of my factory radio equipment, I wanted a bluetooth kit, aux input and iPhone kit for my 99 SC300. I looked on the web as well as this forum but didn't see anyone connect a phone bluetooth kit. I did find someone provide some pinouts for 99 Pioneer Radio (non-NAKAMICHI) that might work but the person said the pinouts were all wrong. However, I took a chance on finding 1 wire needed to MUTE the sound for the kit. Finally, I got this to work with a Motorola HF1000 w/speaker. Now, I have a bluetooth kit with my factory radio that works and I also connected the Audiovox FM Modulator (aux input) and iSimple iS76 (iPhone Kit). Next, will be my CarPC w/touchscreen.

I purchased a HF1000 sometime ago that came with a speaker and thought I could at least test it with the external speaker and not splice into the speakers wires (for now). Here is what I did to get this to work - not sure if this works (or MUTE wire same) for other years.

You will splice into 4 wires on your radio but the BT kit has a 8 Pin female connection. To make this work, you will have to purchase a 8 Pin molex cable - $3 (see below), cut the other end off and match up the 4 wires to connect to your car radio wires.

8 Pin molex cable (2 pins are blank and 2 for speaker) - As you hold the molex cable (notch on top), connect as followings (Left to Right)...

Pin 1 - Switch (IGN)
Pin 2 - Mute (to Blue Connector - Pin 3)
Pin 3 - Negative speaker wire (taped end up)
Pin 4 - Blank (taped end up)
Pin 5 - Ground (Optional to chassis - I did this)
Pin 6 - Constant (12V)
Pin 7 - Blank (taped up end)
Pin 8 - Positive speaker wire (taped end up)

Once you have connected these 4 wires to your radio wires, you will connect the 8 pin male molex connection to the 8 pin female connection on the BT kit. Finally, connect the external speaker.

NOTE: The external speaker has a connector on it that connects into the 8 Pin female connection on BT kit.

Items Needed/Diagram
HF 1000 w/speaker -
Amazon.com: Motorola Bluetooth HF1000 Bluetooth Car Kit: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Motorola Bluetooth HF1000 Bluetooth Car Kit: Cell Phones & Accessories

8 Pin Molex cable - http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pin-Molex-...ht_1134wt_1012

Radio Diagram (Blue connector for MUTE wire - Pin 3) - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...g-diagram.html

Radio Wiring Diagram (12V, Ignition and Ground) - http://www.modifiedlife.com/1999-lex...iring-diagram/
Old 10-13-13, 07:28 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Good information! It would be great to see a pic of where you located the Motorola kit's controller - sometimes a challenge to find an easy to reach location to place it.

An audio system mute connection you can depend on in most 1995-2000 Lexus vehicles that were factory prewired for a dealer installed is located under the front center console. On 95-97 vehicles, the connector has 3 pins. On 98-00 vehicles, the connector has 6-pins. On my 00 LS400, the mute pin is the center front pin of the connector on the driver side of the console. All it takes to connect a phone kit's mute wire is to strip a bit of insulation from it, stick into the connector so that it makes contact and secure it with a wire tie. The following tthread shows this mute pin in my 00 LS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...console-2.html

Regardless of which connector type a Lexus has, it is good to verify which is the mute pin by probing the connector and grounding each pin while the radio is playing until the radio mutes and the mute pin is found. I do not know if there is a mute connection under the front console in earlier model years but I do know that there is a mute connection in the trunk of all 1990-2000 Lexus models that were factory prewired for a phone system.

Other than not having to mess with the radio head unit or amp, the benefit of connecting to a factory phone mute connection is that it is the same regardless of which audio system a car has, i.e. Pioneer, Nakamichi, or navigation. Also, you can depend on all audio system features being muted when a phone call is in progress. Connecting a phone kit mute wire to some mute points in the audio system itself will mute the radio but not the CD player.

If you are interested in an aux-in with CD-quality sound instead of an FM modulator, check out the one I got installed on my Nakamichi by Factory Radio Service in California - it is wonderful!: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...000-ls400.html

Bluetooth phone kits like the Motorola IHF1000 are getting rarer as more and more new cars have Bluetooth hands-free as standard equipment. The IHF1000 was an a official dealer installed accessory from both Lexus and Toyota dealers in Europe during the 2000's for vehicles in which no factory Bluetooth option was available. The Europe dealer installed kit came with a interface harness that made the kit installation plug-and-play and played the phone call audio through the car speakers rather than a separate speaker.
Old 10-14-13, 05:43 PM
Gee44
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the information... I actually didn't take any pictures but I placed the Bluetooth module and wires inside the radio case. Since the space was empty, I just bent the back cover in and placed it there.

Thanks,
Gee