Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice! im also looking to do a carputer
Old 12-11-07, 10:16 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This was my first ever attempt over 3 years ago...

Having it down low was nice, but shifter gets in the way for backseat passengers...

Old 12-11-07, 04:41 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh wow..is that the same computer you have in your car now? that looks pretty big. and yea..i definitely like the new design better!

i noticed that the climate control **** and hazard lights are missing though..whatd you do with those?
Old 12-11-07, 04:45 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
oh wow..is that the same computer you have in your car now? that looks pretty big. and yea..i definitely like the new design better!

i noticed that the climate control **** and hazard lights are missing though..whatd you do with those?
Yep, same one I have now. The Opus 150w psu is a bit overkill for the system, but I'm always for bigger/better (it was the largest at the time)...that's why it looks like its taking up so much space. A 90w unit with no cover would be very small...

Anyways, I relocated those buttons to the side, next to your right knee when you are sitting in the chair...too bad I didn't take any pix of it...

Your project has gotten me motivated to get going on mine...I've been meaning to do it for months now...
Old 12-11-07, 04:56 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
Anyways, I relocated those buttons to the side, next to your right knee when you are sitting in the chair...too bad I didn't take any pix of it...
wouldnt that get in the way though when you sit down? i guess its a good thing you relocated it back to where it was.

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
Your project has gotten me motivated to get going on mine...I've been meaning to do it for months now...
hahaha..thats a good thing then! i always like to see what other people are doing so i can get ideas or somehow improve upon what i want to do. cant wait to see what you do to yours. its kind of funny, because your setup is what mostly inspired me to do a project like that. be sure to post up your progress though this time! haha
Old 12-13-07, 10:46 AM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lookin' good man. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-16-07, 12:33 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

okay..so a lil update on my progress..ive mostly been gathering info, the reason why i havent made much progress. thanks to tony for much of the info i needed. so now, i made a bracket to hold the a/n unit in place since i wont be using the old bracket.

and then i pretty much super glued everything so that i would know where they would be put exactly and then put epoxy all over it

Old 12-16-07, 12:34 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

so now..heres where im at again. im finally applying bondo to the thing to finally make it all pretty!

Old 12-16-07, 09:49 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn looks really good. quesiton to u is why u had to make the faux face for the climate control? because u had to move it? could u have just molded it in completely?
Old 12-17-07, 02:42 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

thanks! well..the reason for the faux face is.....you know what? i dont really know anymore. haha..i thought i had a good reason for it before..but now that i think about it..i dont know..haha. my original thought was so i can remove the unit so i can send it in to get it re-lcd'd to match the rest of my interior. but now that i think about it, i could have just taken the face off it and sent in the unit. it probably would've been better and easier to just do it that way too! haha..wow..thanks for mentioning it. i never really re-thought about it
Old 12-17-07, 02:48 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

oh wait! i actually kind of remember now! i think my original plan WAS to mold in the face. but the a/c unit i purchased from another member on here didnt go through. he didnt follow up on sending it to me, so i never got it. and i didnt want to remove the face off my unit yet, because i still needed it in my car. all these things were extra ones so i didnt have to drive around without an interior. but now that i think about it..i could just take the faux face one that i made, put that on the unit, for now..then mold the face of that onto this so the cuts around the buttons would be cleaner. also, so the plastic would be harder and less flexible. i would just have to build the surrounding of it since its rounded so that its flat with the rest. thanks for pointing that out! wow..thanks! really! haha
Old 12-17-07, 03:39 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice nice work. Can't wait to see this finished project.
Old 12-17-07, 03:50 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

looks good cant wait to see the outcome!
Old 12-18-07, 02:59 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

well i just finished primering it..but then since excluesive brought up something..i now have to redo it again..haha. i just cut out the shape of the existing a/c unit and now have to put in the face of it on there and rebondo, sand, and primer that sucker again to make it nice..and just when i thought i was almost done! haha. oh well..at least now it will look a bit cleaner. my faux face was a bit off on the button cuts. barely noticeable..but still will annoy the hell outta me! but after that..just a few minor spots i have to bondo glaze so ensure that super smooth look and oem look im goin for

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my carpc install