Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

LS430 2001 Subwoofer Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 03:39 PM
gdigio13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the DIY hot glue gun trick and it worked for a little while but ended up coming apart further. I took it to have the speaker re-coned for $40.00. They are local (Clearwater, FL). I'm told this will be like a new speaker. This seems like the most logical solution for this dilemma considering that an aftermarket sub can fry your Levinson Amp and will sound quieter without its own amp. Using a separate amp to run your new aftermarket sub would be ideal but now you are looking at $200 for the new sub with install and $200 for the amp with install. I'm good with a $40 re-cone. I will post again once I get it back and in the car next week.

Additionally, I don't get emailed when someone replies so I never got your last reply. Thank you for answering. Thought I would post about the re-cone as I've not seen it posted anywhere and seems to be a great alternative. Take care.

Last edited by gdigio13; 12-20-10 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 01-11-11, 09:28 PM
Dspence
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OHMS LAW ~ Sub Replacement

Using the correct ohm load when replacing speakers...

Two reasons:

(1) If you connect your amplifier to the wrong speaker impedance, you risk damaging the amp. In tube amps, too high a load impedance (or a disconnected load) can result in damage to the output tubes or output transformer, while in solid state amps, if the speaker impedance is lower than the amplifier impedance, the amplifier will tend to overheat and more power is used up in the amplifier than is delivered to the speaker. Too many speakers on a solid state amp can burn up the power output section.
(2) The amplifier will deliver maximum power (volume) to the speaker when the speaker impedance matches (is equal to) the internal impedance (called the OUTPUT IMPEDANCE) of the amplifier. Too low an impedance will result in weak output and poor tone. If the speaker impedance is higher than that of the amplifier, its power output will again be less than it is capable of.

If you are mixing speakers with different impedance ratings, be sure to check the total impedance using the rules above to be certain the total is within the limits of the amplifier. Solid state amps typically have a 'minimum load impedance' indicated near the speaker terminals, and the total speaker impedance must be equal to or greater than that value.