Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

I have an aggrivateing problem..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 05:21 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have an aggrivateing problem..

I had 4 Jl Audio w6 12" in the trunk.. Sounded great. I just upgraded to the w7 and it sounded even better. Well today I noticed that when I accelerate 2 of my subs cut out.. Then they come back on.. This keeps happening, and its annoying. So I put my w6's back in and now it does the same thing. I exchanged the amp thats on the 2 that cut out, and same thing.. When my cars parked it will play fine forever, but when I accelerate, same thing.. I thought it might be the crossover, so I ran the rcas straight.. Same thing.. I'm stumped and was wondering if anyone can help.. I was thinking maybe its loseing power and I need a cap or something.. Anything??
Old 01-16-02, 05:24 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Another thing I was wondering.. Is there another way to run the rcas to 2 amps, other than a splitter? I mean each amp only gets one rca, but the splitter takes that rca and splits the signal to the left and right, would the signal get weaker??
Old 01-19-02, 04:34 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doubt that there's a problem with voltage. Do you lights dim when the subs hit? Aren't the W7's VC's 3 ohms? Maybe your amps aren't made to handle the lower load if the W6's were 4 ohm speakers. Check to see if your amps are going into protect mode as well as trying other amps on the speakers to see if the problem persists.

Don't quite get your second question, but I will say that when you use Y cables (splitters), the voltage drop is VERY small. Think of it like a 14.4 volt battery. It's hooked up to many electronics in your vehicle, but the 14.4 volts doesn't get divided by the number of things it powers (i.e. 10 lights hooked up to the battery won't result in each recieving 1.44 volts).

BTW, caps blow me where the pampers is.
Old 01-19-02, 05:14 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

It sounds like you're problems are in your electrical system. If I had to guess I'd say look at your alternator. You might be straining your system to much. If this is in fact the problem, you could look at Optima yellow top batteries or a new (or rewound) alternator. If youre running 4 w6s (Which are 3 ohm subs) you probably have at least 1,000 watts which can strain your alt.
Maybe you could post here with more detailed info so we can figure it out. (Exactly when it cuts out, what happens if you unhook the amps etc.) or take it to a local car audio shop. Good luck
Old 01-24-02, 04:28 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Talking Fixed the problem!

I redid everything and even installed a 1 farad cap but that wasn't it. I got out the book on my amp and found the answer. The way I had the woofers bridged was wrong. They are 4 ohm, and I had em bridged to 2 across the amp.. Not right.. Because its a 4 channel amp, all I had to do was bridge em different and vola! Still running all 4 at 2 ohm, and its not shutting off now.. Jl w7's rock! I hooked up 2 w7s and 2 w6 and I can tell a hellova difference.. Now I just have 4 w7s!!
Old 01-25-02, 10:24 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Holy *****, i cant believe that you put 4 w7s in your GS. Thats gotta be LOUD, you should get it metered when you get all the bugs worked out of it. I hope you have some big-*** amps powering them
Old 01-25-02, 10:27 AM
BigRich
Pole Position

Originally posted by sirsomo
Holy *****, i cant believe that you put 4 w7s in your GS. Thats gotta be LOUD, you should get it metered when you get all the bugs worked out of it. I hope you have some big-*** amps powering them
Yeah, 2 power acoustik 2200 watts.. But its in a es300, so no port.. But that doesn't matter anyway!