ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics-12/)
-   -   How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics/269156-how-to-build-and-hardwire-an-auxillary-input-to-oem-stereo.html)

paulg123 09-04-08 07:51 PM

Is there a wiring guide for a 94 LS400?
Also, does anyone know a good place to wire the power so it's not always on?
(edit: sorry, typo made it read "now always on")

PureDrifter 09-04-08 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Felix (Post 3810332)
PureDriffff,

I first want to say thanks for your innovation! I'm gathering the supplies right now needed to complete this little project. I kind of know how to solder, but I'm a complete n00b in the electronics department. I read through your thread twice already, but I have 3 main questions right now regarding my 99 gs300..

1) Where do I splice into to find the 12v power supply?

2) for my 99 gs300 w/ the most basic system, I only need to splice into the cd changer right? The CAD diagrams showing cd changer and oem amp are confusing me :sad:

3) I have an ipod, but is there a substantial sound quality difference between using the ipod specific plug and the standard 1/8th" plug? The reason I want to use the 1/8th" plug is to be able to plug in a Zune or some other device that my friends may have.

Thanks again!

1-on my car i just used the always on +12v going to the amp.

2-you can do it behind the changer if you want to save yourself the hassle of doing it at the amp and getting lost in the wires. the pin assignments will be different (unless i've posted a pinout for your model changer), wire colors SHOULD be the same.

3-there's a difference but if you want it will work.

PureDrifter 09-04-08 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Felix (Post 3810332)
PureDriffff,

I first want to say thanks for your innovation! I'm gathering the supplies right now needed to complete this little project. I kind of know how to solder, but I'm a complete n00b in the electronics department. I read through your thread twice already, but I have 3 main questions right now regarding my 99 gs300..

1) Where do I splice into to find the 12v power supply?

2) for my 99 gs300 w/ the most basic system, I only need to splice into the cd changer right? The CAD diagrams showing cd changer and oem amp are confusing me :sad:

3) I have an ipod, but is there a substantial sound quality difference between using the ipod specific plug and the standard 1/8th" plug? The reason I want to use the 1/8th" plug is to be able to plug in a Zune or some other device that my friends may have.

Thanks again!

sorry i missed your PMs, try again, cleared the box out a bit :p

paulg123 09-11-08 05:33 PM

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the 1gen LS?
Thanks

paulg123 09-13-08 05:12 PM

Please help with the wiring on a 94 LS400. I found these three harnesses on the amplifier:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...4/IMAG0157.jpg

I need to know where the two + and - wires for the audio are. Thanks.

paulg123 09-14-08 01:40 PM

Ok...I need some help here. I wired everything correctly, but when I flip the switch instead of getting the auxillary through the speakers, I still get the CD changer, except only in the back speakers.
What do I need to test to figure out what the problem is??
I grounded through a bolt on a large metal piece and power is coming from ACC+ wire I tapped on a harness from the amplifier. This tested fine with a multimeter.

paulg123 09-14-08 02:00 PM

I've racked my brain as to why I would get REAR CD only when I switched the relays on...I have no clue. I could understand if there was only left or only right rear... Please give me some suggestions.
Thanks.

paulg123 09-14-08 04:16 PM

I checked the power on each relay, and when I flip the switch they are all getting power. I have gone over everything I can think of. The only thing I can think of is maybe I got the wrong wiring diagram. Here's what I used:
Light Green CDL-
Violet CDL+
Blue CDR-
Pink CDR+

Fat Felix 09-14-08 07:46 PM

will it work if i don't utilize a switch?

I don't mind losing the ability to use the cd changer so I wired the power and ground directly to the relays.. does this cause a problem?

I used a power source from the fuse box, which shows at least 12v of power with the car turned all the way on. When I have the key turned to the first notch, the cd player works fine and sounds normal... But when I turn the car all the way on, the sound from the cd player can barely be heard.

This whole time, my ipod does not work... help please!

basketthis 09-14-08 08:07 PM

The answer to your question is, no. You don't have to utilize a switch in this application. I would double check everything... Doesn't sound like the power is your issue...

Fat Felix 09-14-08 08:14 PM

^ since I have constant power to the relays that means that music from the cd's shouldnt be playing at all right?

PureDrifter 09-14-08 09:59 PM

paulg, i'm moving and don't have the time right now to find the diagram, i'll try to take a look at the diagram in the next day or two, but it sounds like you miswired it.

PureDrifter 09-14-08 10:02 PM

double check the wiring, your power set up for the relay might be causing interference

paulg123 09-15-08 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by PureDrifter (Post 3837386)
paulg, i'm moving and don't have the time right now to find the diagram, i'll try to take a look at the diagram in the next day or two, but it sounds like you miswired it.

ok. I will wait for the diagram since I have checked everything else already. thanks
edit: I am wiring from the harness which is connected to the amplifier in the trunk.

sc400-97 09-18-08 09:13 AM

Great writeup Pure! Thanks!

I just did a similar project on my 97SC400 with the Nak system. I did not care about using the CD changer anymore (even though it still worked), so I didn't need to worry about wiring in any relays/switches. I chose to splice into the wiring harness as soon as it came out of the CD changer (easier access). On the '97, the wires you need are in the CD Changer's large connector, and they are the solid Red, Blue, White and Black wires. These are the audio signal wires.

Right Channel:
Black+
White-

Left Channel:
Blue+
Red-

I soldered female RCA connectors to these wires (going to the head unit, not going into the CD Changer) and plugged my iPod cable directly into it.

Everything sounded great....but I had no sub. Why? Because I had hooked up the left channel backwards. I had attached the Red wire to the + terminal and the Blue wire to the - terminal on my RCAs.

Because the channels were out of phase (and the sub gets a signal from both channels), the sub was getting conflicting signals and was in essence, being canceled out.

Thanks to PureDrifter for catching my mistake!!!

Once I re-wired the left channel (Blue + Red -), everything sounds great and my iPod is officially hard-wired into my system!! WooHoo!!

I plan to pull 12v (for charging) from my cigarette lighter, and run a long RCA cable from my center console to the trunk for my iPod signal.

Splicing the RCAs close to the CD Changer will allow me to easily hook it back up if I want to remove the iPod and re-enable the changer.