Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Security system for an 01 GS 300

Old 09-29-01, 06:11 PM
TX GS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security system for an 01 GS 300

When I bought my GS, the salesman said an aftermarket security system was unneccessary due to factory security measures.

1. Is he right?

2. What if any systems would compliment my stock security features?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Derek
Old 09-29-01, 07:52 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. No

2. Stock security features are basically useless against thieves. They don't go off unless doors are opened or the ignition gets played with.

If you feel that you could be in danger of getting jacked, prepare yourself.
Old 09-30-01, 05:54 AM
TX GS
Driver

OK, do you have any ideas on how I can prepare myself?

What types of measures should I be taking to secure my car further?
Old 09-30-01, 06:07 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb The Usual

Derek - Just use common sense. Park in well lit areas; be observant to the same car following U; DON'T advertise your stereo system by playing it loudly; consider an aftermarket alarm with a pager but don't lose your life trying to protect your car - let them have it! If a professional thief really wants your ryde, he's GONNA get it!! About all ya can do is make it harder for the more casual crook to steal either the car or it's contents. No, I'm neither a cop or crook but I do the police Ride Along program & have also had a car stolen from myself & another broken into so I've seen both sides of things.
Old 09-30-01, 09:16 AM
TX GS
Driver

Gene,

Thanks for the insights. I wasn't necessarily asking for tips on safety or security, I'm asking for alarm systems that would compliment and be compatible with my factory measures.

I'm not at all familiar with the different models or companies, and, I'm unaware of what would actually work with the factory Lexus protections.

After re-reading my previous post, I can see my ambiguity, please accept my apology.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited by TX GS; 09-30-01 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-18-01, 08:17 AM
MAD_Wicked
Driver School Candidate

I have a Clifford Concept 600 installed in my GS about 3 weeks ago. It has the perioximity sensors. And it is sweet b/c you can control the sensitivity of the settings with your alarm key. You can not do that with a Viper. The Clifford doesn't talk either...

It also has Black-Jax anti car jacking features, which I REALLY THINK ARE A MUST HAVE. I am now tired of 16 year old thugs, and other under privalleged people becoming obssesed with my ride. You have to enter a pin number to drive my ride...Also if the car door is opened while the ignition is on, the alarm will activate after just 60 seconds, and totally shut down the car, unless the pin number is re-entered. Just enough time to get away in the case of car jacking, or the theft of my keys. Once this alarm triggers it can ONLY be cut off with the pin number, and not the keys. MY GS IS NOW OFFICALLY THEFT PROOF...

The Clifford is also digital, where as the viper uses analog sensors, and thus is more likely to false alarm.

My only regret is that the auto start features where too difficult and time consuming to make work on the Lexus. It took the guys 2 full days to install the alarm, and has almost 3 times as many connections to be made than the Viper. The lexus uses some smart chip and the cost to make the feature work was becoming over priced.

Someone was trying to break into my car a few weeks ago, so I have had a full lesson in car security, as I too was looking for some more protection.

www.clifford.com